which clippers to buy

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
h0ward

which clippers to buy

Post by h0ward » 30 Jul 2019, 14:59

being both thrifty ( wife would say mean) and retired, I fancy having a go at clipping our springer / poodle cross myself. Tried it with my beard clippers but whilst they cope with my bristles, they wont cope with the dogs wool.

So , who clips DIY and what clippers would they recommend I buy?

Pollydoodle

Re: which clippers to buy

Post by Pollydoodle » 30 Jul 2019, 22:49

Hi, I do diy clipping part thirfty, part waiting 5 weeks for appointment and probably mostly not liking dog at groomers for +3 hours. He’s a big boy.

I use Andis 2 clippers (maroon coloured body) , weren’t cheap at the time but after 2 0r 3 uses they pay for themselves. You could wait and try clippers from Aldi or Lidl when they next have an offer.

Would add there is no short cut ( ha, no pun intended) you need to throughly comb the dog coat first or hand clip with scissors first otherwise even decent clippers will pull on the dog’s coat.
I am also not fussed if dog only wants half a body done before he wanders off. Some dogs find clipping stressful. My boy stays as long as he wants, takes a break and comes back and we carry on clipping. In fact he is lying down for most of the time.
Good luck.

h0ward

Re: which clippers to buy

Post by h0ward » 31 Jul 2019, 10:17

Thanks. The gerenal advice seems to be a bath and blow dry first. Is that what you do?