What's it like with two doodles?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
millysmum

What's it like with two doodles?

Post by millysmum » 14 Oct 2008, 20:33

Hi

We have an 18 month black F1 mini doodle called Milly and we are considering, just thinking, about getting her a companion maybe some time next year. It's a big big decision (not least from a cost point of view!), but I am finding myself looking at puppies all the time and thinking how wonderful it would be to have two! Milly has a gentle but bouncy, friendly nature, classic doodle really, and she loves people. She likes other dogs but I notice she is quite submissive with most of them. I am just wondering whether it would be best to get another girl, or is it better to have different sexes? (Milly is spayed). How would I know whether they would get on? I don't want Milly to feel she's had her nose pushed out. On the contrary, I want her to have a best buddy!

I would appreciate any advice or views. Thanks, Lynne.

ktm

Re: What's it like with two doodles?

Post by ktm » 14 Oct 2008, 20:39

Hi
It was the best thing I did was get two doodles. I have one who is 10months and another who is nearly 4 months! They play really well together and snuggle together on a night. It's not all rosey though - I have a strict training programme in order at present as the oldest doodle stop listening to me and would not come back when called - she was sort of rebelling against the new doodle!

But go for it the more the merrier I say. We have been thinking about getting a third but one older or even fostering?

Kate

millysmum

Post by millysmum » 14 Oct 2008, 20:48

Thanks. Did they get on from Day 1?
Here is a pic of Milly (hopefully!) Sorry, it might be on the large side...

ktm

Post by ktm » 14 Oct 2008, 20:52

She's lovely...
They have always got on though it took time for them to bond ie lay together and play together, they just sort of went about life doing their own thing. Then we went through a stage of mouthing/play fighting to the point that it was driving me crazy because it was 24 hours a day - this took a lot of patience of saying 'no' all the time when it got out of hand.

And now they play fight but it is controlled, they snuggle together on a night, they clean each other, and my oldest one used to tell me when the younges one needed to go out or when she had already done it in the house!?

Ben

Post by Ben » 14 Oct 2008, 22:07

Hi

I have a 5 1/2 month old and I would love another as he craves attention from other dogs and is at his happiest bounding around with anything from Great Danes to Jack Russells! Yet I know that he is like this as he's a puppy.
I keep thinking that if I just have him then I'll have a stronger relationship with him than if there's two of them....(anyone please free feel to contradict me).
At puppy class I hear of horrors of people having two dogs and being dragged everywhere and sofa's being chewed, but when I was at the North West doodle meet, i saw people with two Doodles with no problems at all.

Books tend to say wait until your current dog is 18-24 months, but as you then have to walk them separately etc.. is it not easier to get another when they are both pups?

I don't know.... and I don't know whether to get a smaller doodle, but I am worried after meeting a really yappy small poodle that that trait might be passed on....again please advise me as I've never meet a minature doodle yet.

I don't know your age.... but I thought that if I ever have a baby (although I'd rather have another pup!), it will be really hard to look after two big dogs and a pram etc... where as one dog and a pram is easier..... I'm rambling again...... sorry!

susiegill

Post by susiegill » 14 Oct 2008, 22:18

I have two doodles and it is the best thing I ever did. Rosie was 16 months old when we got Molly, after a couple of days they bonded and have been the best of friends ever since :D
Susan, Rosie & Molly
http://www.susiedoodles.piczo.com
DON'T TRUST THE PUPPY FINDER!

millysmum

Post by millysmum » 14 Oct 2008, 22:41

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ben, to reassure you, Milly is not yappy. IN fact, if I remember correctly she was many months old before she even found her voice at all. She has quite a deep bark now actually. SHe only seems to bark when she's in the back garden and can hear other dogs barking in the distance. Milly isn't as miniature as I was expecting her to be -- she weights in about 19kg.

Any views anybody on the gender question? Two girls, or a boy and a girl?
Image Image

Bid

Post by Bid » 15 Oct 2008, 09:59

Hi Millysmum - Milly is lovely :lol:

I have 2 girls - Daisy is 2 & a bit, and Poppy is a year old. They get on like a house on fire and play really well together. I think 18 months is just about the right age for doodle number 2 to come along. There are a couple of downsides though that it is worth considering..... you need to make sure that the new puppy bonds with you more than with your existing dog, and that means lots of play time & training time on her own. I walk them separately most of the time, because walks are also training sessions, and training them together just does not work, so you need double the time to give them! They also need to go out in the garden for toileting purposes separately as together they just play. When the puppy is tiny you need to be able to separate them in the garden, becuase too much energetic playing is not good for little ones.

The plus sides are great though - Daisy has a fried to play with all the time. Although she has always been a handful when out, Daisy is perfectly behaved at home, and so Poppy has learnt this behaviour and in the house they are angelic.

Daisy is an independant feisty girl, so when I was looking at puppies I told the breeder I was looking for a cuddly girl, and she was able to select just the one - Poppy is calm & cuddly - a complete contrast. That might be why they get on so well I don't know. I have an older dog too - a 10 year old male lab, and they all get along, so in my experiece it doesn't make a difference if you get boys or girls - it's all down to their individual characters & their training how they get along.

The trouble is doodles are addictive - I want another one now :lol: :lol: :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

SophieVP

Post by SophieVP » 15 Oct 2008, 10:30

Great thread - I've been wondering the exact same thing! Archie will be 1 tomorrow and I have started looking for breeders of mini doodles, we're going away for three weeks next May and so common sense tells me I need to wait until we get back before bringing a puppy home (but ideally I would like to have found a puppy for us before we go) plus I think Archie will be at the perfect age then.

My only concern is that, although he's not really heavy (he's 25kgs) he is quite big still (26" to shoulder) and I wouldn't want him to squash a mini doodle!!! He has been neutered so we would like to get a girl. He loves company and I know it would be as great for him to have another one as it would for me.

Sophie & Archie x

LynneR

Post by LynneR » 15 Oct 2008, 10:57

Thanks for the practical advice, Bid. Yes, addictive is the word!! The puppy pictures (and the adults too, actually) just make me want a whole tribe in truth!

When Milly went for a walk a few months ago with my friend's mini Schnauzer puppy, I must say I was surprised how rough she was in her play with this much tinier girl. I had hoped she's be rather gentle and mothering! So I think supervision in the first few months is probably the answer.

BFN. Lynne

PS. I seem to have acquired two separate accounts because I'm using two different computers. Hope this isn't a problem.

susanan

Post by susanan » 15 Oct 2008, 11:18

I have 2 doodles and a golden retriever (all bitches) and they all get on wonderfully. We have always had 2 or 3 bitches and they have always got on. In fact I think 2 dogs together are easier because they can amuse each other when you are busy or out. I have never found that they are any less affectionate with us as long as you give each of them some special one time.

Good luck with your decision.
Susan

Hunnybunch

Post by Hunnybunch » 16 Oct 2008, 13:48

Hi there, I have one Doodle of 16 months and one of 5 months and it is the best thing I ever did, Because Doodles are so active and get bored easily, Bailey has changed Daisy's life, I am at home nearly all the time, but you can't occupy them 24/7 and Daisy and Bailey get on like a house on fire, they are so close it is a joy to watch. HOWEVER!!! it is bloody hard work and double the mess and double the chewed things and double the wrecked beds I make 10 times a day, but that is chocie really, i am probably too easy going, but they are a joy to be with so I don't really care. By the way, they are both from Frey's litters so they are Linda Doodles and both absolutely gorgeeous.
ImageImage