A police line up - ridiculus

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
tjay

A police line up - ridiculus

Post by tjay » 05 Jan 2009, 20:55

Hello All,

Every morning Samson and I share our 7am walk with a lovely, friendly Border terrier (Alfie) and his owner. Last week on their evening walk, just as they left the house, a Rottweiler had jumped from it's owner's car and attacked Alfie. fortunatly, Alfie's owner managed to pick him up during the attack. Both Alfie and his owner required stitches and the vet said that had she not picked him up that it is very likely that the Rottweiller would have killed him.

The Rottweillers owner pulled the dog off Alfie and his owner and then drove off. Fortunatley someone witnessing the attack knew the name and address of this person as he was local and provided it to the police. However, as the owner denied the attack, the police said tha they are powerless to take any action unless Alfie's owner can identify the Rottweiller from a police line up. Needless to say Alfies owner has declined this offer.

GRW1

Re: A police line up - ridiculus

Post by GRW1 » 05 Jan 2009, 21:11

They must need some kind of evidence.

The witness could be mistaken, they could be getting someone they know has a rottie into trouble out of spite? They could be right too but the police would have to check it out.

tjay

Post by tjay » 05 Jan 2009, 21:16

I forgot to say that Alfie's owner could quite easily identify the Rottweiller's owner, but there would still need to be a dog line up :shock:

It seems mad that the the police can't keep a record of this dog incase it attacks any other dog?

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 05 Jan 2009, 21:20

Unless it had a particularly distinctive collar (which I bet the owner took off) or markings how could she recognise it?

It's like car insurance. You try claiming against someone and all they have to do is deny it ever happened and you can do nothing, even with a witness. :evil: All that you can hope is that the police have marked this chap's card for the future.

I also hope Alfie and his owner weren't hurt too much and are getting over the shock.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Daisy(mini)Doodle

Post by Daisy(mini)Doodle » 06 Jan 2009, 14:41

I would suggest its the owner of the dog that needs to be identified as they would be the person charged with being in control or not in this case of the dog. then the owner would have to prove that it was not his dog ie he was looking after someone elses in either case he was the person in control of the dog . I suggest a formal complaint is made at the police station ie lack of investigation etc..
Its the 'they all look the same officer'. in the case of rotweilers they probably do not like doodles . Or you could do the id parade with Alfie and see which one attacks him or perhaps he would identify the roti
Chris & Pauline Daisy & Ziva
ImageImage

tjay

Post by tjay » 06 Jan 2009, 20:20

Yes, i think it would only be fair to let the dog pick the suspect :) , but I doubt he'd be brave enough as it took him nearly two days to be brave enough to turn right out of the garden gate :|