curly or wavy coats?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
somerville

curly or wavy coats?

Post by somerville » 09 Jan 2009, 16:02

Hi All, New to this forum, I would very much appreciate any advice on how my 5 year old jack russell would warm to having a doodle in the house. I have been actively following the breed for about 2 years now and really am finding it hard to resist any longer. I live in cambridgeshire and think that a " smaller" breed doodle would suit our household, I am at home most of the time and are due to move to our new house we are building at the end of this year so am beginning to think now is the right time. We have 3 children at home 16,15, and 10 who would all be actively involved with the new puppy. Another question, is wavy coat preferable to the curly coat? I think I prefer the more scruffy look than the curly, any suggestions on the above or any breeders I should be contacting in my area, THANK YOU

nashav

Re: curly or wavy coats?

Post by nashav » 09 Jan 2009, 16:49

Hi and welcome.

It sounds as though a minture doodle may be best suited for your Jack Russell as standard doodles can grow to be big dogs full of energy. However you know your Jack Russell best and his/her reaction to bigger dogs out on walks. Maybe you could meet up with local doodles and see how your Jack Russell reacts? (just a suggestion)
somerville wrote:Another question, is wavy coat preferable to the curly coat?
It is really down to a personal choice whether you choose a curly or wavy coat type, the only advice i can give is that the curly coat type tends to shed less.

Hope this helps and good luck searching for that special doodle.
x
Image Image

Ali Cat

Post by Ali Cat » 09 Jan 2009, 17:08

We thought Eric was going to be wavy, as this is what he looked like as a pup

But he ended up like this

defo a scruffy one!!

(sorry about the size of the photos!!)

He is also a large doodle - weighing 6 stone. In hindsight I should really have gone for a minature, but wouldn't swop him for anything now (tho there are times when he's chewed yet another new shoe......)

Eric has lots of mini dog friends, border terrier, Jacks etc and he is amazingly gentle with them and always lets them win the play-fights. He even lays down so that they can jump on him as he tends to be out of reach if he stands up.

Good luck with your search!!

Have a look on Lisa's website for some scrummy pics of her minature doodles

http://miniaturelabradoodles.mfbiz.com/

Love Ali and Eric

x
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w205 ... t/Eric.jpg

Laughter is the best medicine – unless you’re diabetic, then insulin comes pretty high on the list

Pippin

Post by Pippin » 09 Jan 2009, 18:10

I've got both so hopefully can help with some of the pros and cons!

Pippin is an F1 scruffy. She sheds constantly, started at 7 months and hasn't stopped since, she is almost 16 months now. I know not all F1s shed but it's a possibility. She also is prone to having a doggy smell as she has a hair coat and I feel she needs bathed quite often. However on the otherhand she doesn't tangle or matt and her coat seems to be water repellent and dries very quickly, she doesn't need clipped and doesn't need much in the way of grooming at all, just a quick brush over.

Bella is an ASD with a curly fleece coat. She's only just coming up for 6 months old so her needs may change. Her coat at the moment isn't hard work but it does need combed through regularly to keep it tangle free, she will need to be cut or clipped and if she gets wet her coat takes an age to dry. On the otherhand though she doesn't smell doggy at all and she doesn't shed.

It's swings and roundabouts you are either hoovering or grooming! Or in my case both! :lol:
ImageImage

Puppies should be warm clean and well, walk away if they are not.

http://www.dashingdoodles.co.uk/

Daisy(mini)Doodle

Post by Daisy(mini)Doodle » 09 Jan 2009, 18:29

Daisy was the smallest in the litter with a short coat when we first saw her, by nine weeks she was the biggest and had a wavy coat now at nine months shes going grey and has a shaggy look. As for temprement she rarely barks has never growled even when I try to provoke her when playing. A totally chilled out dog but then most doodles seem to be. Oh she sheds hair for England just as bad as my Old english and Newfoundland used to be.

As a pedigree dog owner said to us in the park last week

PDO "She moves well for an old dog"
US " Yes not bad shes only 9 months"
PDO "Oh! what sort is she?"
US "Shes a mini labradoodle"
PDO" Oh! That what they look like"
US"No they are all different"
Chris & Pauline Daisy & Ziva
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 09 Jan 2009, 18:34

Mine are both standards & they adore jack russells! Poppy will follow them anywhere (or try to :lol: ) and they are so fast & nippy they give both doodles a run for their money! The most popular dog combo around here is Black lab & JR, so I'm sure yours would get on well with a doodle!

Daisy is an F2 scruffy - very easy care, self cleaning, non shedding (well you get a bit off if you comb her but I don't find it around the house), just needs a quick brush & comb from time to time. Poppy is a curly F1b - non shedding, but needs lots & lots of grooming as Pippin says.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

oops!

Post by oops! » 09 Jan 2009, 19:43

at the moment our 2 are still in their puppy coats so i am hoovering constantly!-but i am sure that the coat of my f1 who was quite flat coated as a pup tends to shed more than his bro who has more curls and a different texture coat.the one with the flat coat has developed curls but is more shaggy looking and his coat is glossier and softer than the other.peeps have posted lots of pics on here in the past from pup to adult and i dont think you can really tell for sure wot they will look like if f1 Image
Donna.

ASK FOR EYE TEST CERTIFICATES WHEN CHOOSING A PUPPY.

Cherryblossom

Post by Cherryblossom » 09 Jan 2009, 20:17

Hi there,

The two things I couldn't decide on when choosing our doodle were size and coat type. Funnily enough I wanted a scruffy mini doodle and ended up with a fleecy standard size!!!

I won't bore you with the details of how we came to that decision, but Murray is absolutely brilliant, good fun, but chilled out as well. :D We have kids of 17, 14 and 9 so quite similar to yours and they love him to bits (as does he, them)
I don't find the grooming difficult at all - I try to give him a quick brush over most days with a more thorough groom every week. He will need regular trips to the groomers tho, which costs £25 at the mo, but will be more as he gets older (and bigger!!)

Good luck with your search!

Cheryl

Cherryblossom

Post by Cherryblossom » 09 Jan 2009, 20:20

Meant to post a pic of Murray!

tjay

Post by tjay » 09 Jan 2009, 20:45

I have a miniture scruffy doodle who is v.cute, but sheds tons (and I mean tons). He dries quickly when he's been out in the rain and just needs a weekly brush (very little maintainance). However, the shedding stopped when we took him to see an over zealous groomer: