This site should be on NHS

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
grove15

This site should be on NHS

Post by grove15 » 13 Jan 2009, 12:50

Hi All,
Just to say, We have had a really crap week my husband has been made redundant amongst other things, & ever since we brought Alfie home on the 19th of Dec, ive logged on here every day & ive never laughed so much as i have today, it always cheers me up anyway seeing pics reading stories getting advise tips etc but today was above & beyond what with identifing good/bad poop, credits crunch, & the photos of demolitian doodle & scary doods finished me off as i was laughing so much, i wish i could get that photo bucket thingy working it has given our comp a virus but will persist with it,
just having Alfie has made such a differnce to us, we have cracked the night screaming & even Goo is tolerating & playing with him so we get the doodle dashes with a huge black blob of lab as well now.
Heres to being positive & a very heartfelt thanks to all for making it a highlight to log on the computer & am looking forward to a virginia water meet as thats not too far from us in the future.
Sharon & Alfie

Ali Cat

Re: This site should be on NHS

Post by Ali Cat » 13 Jan 2009, 14:59

Too right - on the National Happy Service

:D :lol:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w205 ... t/Eric.jpg

Laughter is the best medicine – unless you’re diabetic, then insulin comes pretty high on the list

Karen-London

Post by Karen-London » 13 Jan 2009, 17:23

Hi Ali Cat

I notice your signature about insulin..are you diabetic? My 12 year old daughter is and we are hoping that one day we will be able to train our doodle pup to recognise low blood sugars. I kow doodles trained to do this in the US. :!:

Ali Cat

Post by Ali Cat » 13 Jan 2009, 17:54

Karen-London wrote:Hi Ali Cat

I notice your signature about insulin..are you diabetic? My 12 year old daughter is and we are hoping that one day we will be able to train our doodle pup to recognise low blood sugars. I kow doodles trained to do this in the US. :!:
No, fortunately not. M-in-law is tho and Eric can sniff out anything sugar coated in her house - not the same thing tho!!

Its amazing what kids can cope with tho isn't it - usually without whinging like the adults do.!!

xx

Laughter is the best medicine – unless you’re diabetic, then insulin comes pretty high on the list

Pauline

Post by Pauline » 13 Jan 2009, 20:27

Welcome to UKLA!
I notice your signature about insulin..are you diabetic? My 12 year old daughter is and we are hoping that one day we will be able to train our doodle pup to recognise low blood sugars. I kow doodles trained to do this in the US.
My husband is an insulin dependant diabetic we wondered about training Dexter to recognise hypo's but fortunatley OH doesn't have that many!
We did notice that someone (I think from Diabetes Uk) was looking for volunteers with dogs to see if the dogs could recognise hypos - that was a few months a go though.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ben

Post by Ben » 13 Jan 2009, 22:30

Snap I agree....
I was on the happy pills for 3 mths, but when I told the doc I was getting a pup, she immediately said thats the best medicine you can have and instandly took me off the pills....she and I were right !!!! Doodles and this site are truly the best medicine !!!! :P

amber

Post by amber » 13 Jan 2009, 23:26

Doodles can be very helpful though can't they. Bella picks up the laundry and carries it around whether it is dirty or not :shock:, and Chloe brings the mail upstairs to me, albeit torn up; but it means i don't need to pay the more pressing demands :P
Freya is my ready made hot water bottle, and Robbie play fights with my O/H and saves me the job :wink: :mrgreen:

CAROL SHAW

Post by CAROL SHAW » 13 Jan 2009, 23:52

hi we have placed several of our pups with people with epilepsy and diabetes mostley in Holland where they train dogs for this purpose the Doodles have been very succesfull in this field if you would like more information please pm me. Please accept that all labradoodles are not suitable for this "job" some have the scent gene some do not two of our blood lines do one does not Kind Regards CARol S

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 13 Jan 2009, 23:57

Hi Sharon

Sorry to see your husband is being made redundant :cry: That's a worrying time for everyone.

I agree that Doodles are brilliant for brightening the rotten days, and after the past 8 months we have had, I think they should be on perscription for visits to everyone.

Even as I thought there is not much more of our building left to go wrong I got a call from the builder saying 'get down here quick, you need to see this!'

Heart sinking, I went back to the site, having only just popped home for Jack and Becky, to find out that as they were taking down the balcony structure to rebuild it properly, they had discovered that the metal plate over a very large window and holding up a large chunk of upstairs and the roof was not actually set into the wall but sat on top of a plastic window only because the cra**y previous builders had made the plate too short.

They had also bodged the brickwork and used such p***-poor cement the whole section of wall was about to fall out.

Thank God we decided to hang the cost and get the balcony sorted out because otherwise, if we had left it, two years on it would have fallen down, taking the entire end of the building (and probably us) with it.

At least the Doodles don't care what is going on and just want cuddles and playing :lol:
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Ali Cat

Post by Ali Cat » 14 Jan 2009, 09:52

MrsAdmin wrote: they had discovered that the metal plate over a very large window and holding up a large chunk of upstairs and the roof was not actually set into the wall but sat on top of a plastic window only because the cra**y previous builders had made the plate too short.
Snap - we bought the hosue next door and luckily gutted the place totally and found that the window that had been put into a previously solid wall had the RSJ just resting on the window!!

That builder can 'arf travel!!

Thank God they found it - the alternative doesn't bear thinking about!

x