Has anyone taken their dood abroad? Thoughts please!!!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
RachPach

Has anyone taken their dood abroad? Thoughts please!!!

Post by RachPach » 15 Jan 2009, 20:16

Hi
With it being so blummin' cold at the moment we've started thinking about summer hols. Normally when we go away my parents will dog-sit for me but we're thinking of going away with them this summer which fills me with dread at the thought of leaving my 6 month old doodle, Mungo.

My Aunt and Uncle have offered us their farmhouse in mid-France for 2 weeks in July by which time Mungo will have just turned 1. They have a 5 year old lab which they take with them every year and she loves it as the farm is in the middle of nowhere so miles and miles of fields and lovely walks. I know Mungo would love it once there but don't know much about the pet passport scheme and what injections it entails. Is he too young to have more injections and do you think the travelling would be too much for him? He loves being in the car and just falls asleep on long journeys but I think this is about 5-6 hours drive once in France. Obviously with 2 young kids we'd make regular stops but even so, is that too much for him?

If we don't take him with us I have a fab dog-walker in the village who I trust completely & he adores Mungo so he could go there for the fortnight. What do you reckon? Is it better to leave him in familiar surroundings but with someone he doesn't know so well or take him with us?

Would really appreciate your views as I'm getting myself worked about it. (It feels like leaving my baby behind if we don't take him but don't want to put him through too much at such a young age...agggghhhh!) Feel free to be honest - I won't be offended!
Rach & Mungo

millysmum

Re: Has anyone taken their dood abroad? Thoughts please!!!

Post by millysmum » 15 Jan 2009, 20:31

Hi. We drove our dog from Cornwall to Manchester on the A roads. We stopped every two hours or so to let her out and she got into a rhythm with it. SHe just went to sleep whenever we got in the car. We were travelling 10 hours in all. She seemed fine -- better than we were!

Just for info: You can take your dog to Ireland without a pet passport, which seems a lot of palaver to me.

Cheers, Lynee
Image Image

Daisy(mini)Doodle

Post by Daisy(mini)Doodle » 15 Jan 2009, 20:54

We are taking Daisy to St Tropez in the summer in our motorhome . Found this web site amongst others if you do a search on google, may be of some help
http://www.ledogstop.com
Chris & Pauline Daisy & Ziva
ImageImage

irontel

Post by irontel » 15 Jan 2009, 21:41

Hi, if you are thinking of taking mungo to France in July, you need to get him for his rabies jab asap. It takes 6 months before the vet can tell if your dog is ok to travel. You can take him as he is without the rabies jab, you just won't be able to bring him back!! We have travelled all over the country in our motor home and Stanley loves it. Alot of our journeys have been over 5 hours. We take him for a long walk before the journey and then stop every 2 hours for wees and walkies :lol: :lol: We took Stanley for his rabies jab but he failed the blood test 1 month later. It cost us over £60.00. We decided not to go that year as we felt he would be too young to go through the trauma of being put in kennels on the ferry. We intend to go this year but on eurostar. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Gina and Stanley

Fattysplash

Post by Fattysplash » 15 Jan 2009, 21:57

http://labradoodle.org.uk/forum/viewtop ... oad#p81720

The thing I remember most about 'doods abroad' topics was the post by 'Katie Rourke' on this thread, it made me think twice about it. :shock: :(
The More People I Meet, The More I Love My Dogs

www.puppylovecampaigns.org

Mrsdoodle

Post by Mrsdoodle » 15 Jan 2009, 22:27

We are also intending to take our labradoodle to France this year. Previously we have met many people travelling with their dogs and everyone to-date has had good experiences. We got our pet passport last year so everything is in place and will just meet with our vet prior to leaving for last minute advice/guidance. I am sure our doodle would prefer the journey rather than being left behind. We have previously travelled several times from the midlands to cornwall and scotland and never have any problems - he only seems to need the odd drink of water and a quick walk to stretch his legs (he is just 19 months old now).

RachPach

Post by RachPach » 15 Jan 2009, 23:13

Thanks for all your replies. I'll speak to my vet tomorrow to find out what's involved and will check out the website. I guess I have a lot of thinking to do over the weekend but I probably won't take him this time as I've left it a bit late and I'm terrified I won't get him back in the country :shock: We tend to go there every 2-3 years or so, so perhaps it might be better to leave it until he's a bit older.
Rach & Mungo

CAROL SHAW

Post by CAROL SHAW » 15 Jan 2009, 23:30

if you contact your vet asap you may be in time for this July our dog was vaccinated on 13 aug 08 blood tested 10 sept 08which was clear he can go out the country now but cannot come back until 10 march 09 hope that helps a little. as far as the travel is concerned I dont think it will bother him if he is used to the car we have exported to Netherlands several times and they have all travelled well by car and ferry and they were only 13 weeks!!!!!

barkingmad

Post by barkingmad » 20 Jan 2009, 11:32

Yes, i have just come back from France with 2 dogs, 1 aged 8 and 1 at just 10months which is probably the youngest age at which they can re-nter G.B

Method
Microchip first

Pup must be 10 weeks old before 1st rabies shot/have shot

Go for 2nd shot 2 weeks later/ensures titre levels are high enough

2 weeks later go for blood tests

Vet will ring you when results are back

Take all microchip papers with you to vet,get your passport filled in correctly

You now have to wait 6months before dog can return to the U.K, however your pet can travel before the 6months are up, you just cannot re-enter the U.K until the 6 months from the day the blood test was taken.

I would thoroughly read about travel with dogs if you are going anywhere in the South of France , as there are some very nasty diseases down there, personally,i would not go that far south if it were just for a holiday.
Coming back in to the country is so simple, just do your research and find a vet in France who is aware of the Pet Passport scheme, as they have to fill out the relevant pages. I downloaded questions in french and presented these to the vet who i used so there were no mistakes

Pet passport for 2 dogs cost me over £400, Travel on ferry costs each dog £15 each way, vet fees vary in France but expect to pay up to 60 euros/£ for the flea and tick treatment.

And please be aware that it is very difficult to locate ticks in dogs with long/curly coats ,so groom on holiday each day

Go for it and have fun