Need a better camera!!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Woo

Need a better camera!!

Post by Woo » 02 Feb 2009, 20:00

Like everyone else I have been out with my faithful friend playing in the snow. Seeing all these brilliant action shot pictures on the forum I thought I would get a couple of my own, but all my action shots came out blurry :(

Has anyone any suggestions of a good camera to get doodle action shots and what one would cost? I am currently using a Fujifilm Finepix 12.0 mega pixels - should this be good enough??

Here are some examples....

sawbrook

Re: Need a better camera!!

Post by sawbrook » 02 Feb 2009, 20:06

I don't know much about cameras but 12 mega pixel is quite a hi res camera so should be good enough to take great action shots - do you have it on the correct setting?
Sarah & Murray
Image Image

Woo

Post by Woo » 02 Feb 2009, 20:09

Maybe time to get the instructions out!!! :D

Rhonk

Post by Rhonk » 02 Feb 2009, 20:16

i think they are meant to be good cameras - you can put the dial onto the pic of the man running which makes it have a fast shutter speed so should be good for non blurry action shots. I have to admit that i took about 30 shots this morning and probably about 20 were blurred - digital cameras are great as you can take lots of shots and see what they look like without getting them developed! Good luck!

murphysmum

Post by murphysmum » 02 Feb 2009, 20:18

Mine is a panasonic lumix...8mp and 10x optical zoom and i love it. You have to mess a round a bit to get what you want, but it gives great results. :mrgreen:

amber

Post by amber » 02 Feb 2009, 20:24

Great pics 8)

nashav

Post by nashav » 02 Feb 2009, 21:25

Nothing wrong with those pics, the blurry image gives a good sense of movement. I have just got a new camera and been playing with it 2day before and after work :D
x
Image Image

Woo

Post by Woo » 02 Feb 2009, 22:05

Thanks for the replies. :D :D
I got the instruction book out of the box and remember why I haven't fully read it yet - its really thick with small lettering :?
Hopefully the snow will still be around tomorrow for me to practice some more.

peelm

Post by peelm » 02 Feb 2009, 23:37

Hi,
12Mp is more than ample. I was using a Nikon D70s for about three years and that was only 8.
For action shots, you need a fast shutter speed. This freezes the action. Anything above about 1/250th of a second should be OK. The other main factor is whether your camera can focus fast enough. You have more chance of getting sharp shots taking sideways movement rather than moving towards, or away from you.

I'm using a Nikon D300 with a 70-300 Nikon lens for outdoor action stuff. It's a fantastic "pro-sumer" camera, but will set you back about £1800 quid with a decent all round lens (not the big zoom). I use mine for some fairly serious pet portrait work, so can almost justify the expense. Check out http://www.theloudhouse.co.uk if you fancy a look at some of my work.

Anyway, I digress, there are so many good quality digital SLR cameras out there now you're spoiled for choice. Nikon, Canon, Sony and Fuji to name a few, all have a range to suit most budgets. The main factor is how much you want to spend. They have very easy to use settings (sport, portrait, landscape or manual). For fast actios, you'd choose sport, and start clicking.

If you want to PM me with a round about figure, I can point you to something that should fit the bill.

M.
Michael, Janet, Fozzie and Dylan

For all your pet portraits, visit :- http://www.theloudhouse.co.uk

amber

Post by amber » 02 Feb 2009, 23:38

Woo wrote:Thanks for the replies. :D :D
I got the instruction book out of the box and remember why I haven't fully read it yet - its really thick with small lettering :?
Hopefully the snow will still be around tomorrow for me to practice some more.
Your like me i hate reading the small print too :lol:

ebug99

Post by ebug99 » 02 Feb 2009, 23:47

murphysmum wrote:Mine is a panasonic lumix...8mp and 10x optical zoom and i love it. You have to mess a round a bit to get what you want, but it gives great results. :mrgreen:
We have the same camera but I haven't worked out how to get un-blurred action shots - help ??!!!

Liz x
xxxXX Teddy & Harvey XXxxx

Pauline

Post by Pauline » 03 Feb 2009, 12:42

The Panasonic Lumix has great reviews - it's the one I think I want to get to replace my small digital camera. OH has a digital canon EOS350 which takes good pictures but he's had it a coupleof years so has been superseeded.

For doodles you need one with a fast shutter speed!!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Rhonk

Post by Rhonk » 03 Feb 2009, 13:01

Just remembered - m friend has a lumix and all of the shots were blurred. After avoiding the instructions for some time we finally read them and realised that for auto it has be on the heart not the pic of the camera on the dial, which is the auto focus on lots of other cameras. No more blurs! (although we weren't taking photos of doods in teh snow!)