What to feed?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
annabanana

What to feed?

Post by annabanana » 15 Feb 2009, 18:16

Willow seems to be getting a bit bored of her Burn's food although I buy the small bags and change the flavour regularly. I like the idea of BARF but am not sure how convenient this would be as I am a busy mum! I am leaning towards the pouches of Nature Diet. I understand that this is a complete food but I thought dogs needed something crunchy to clean their teeth. Can you mix nature diet with a mixer? If so which one?

Also does anyone know of a website that compares dog food (in a simple way :oops: ) as my brain has gone into overload with all the information out there?

Thank you so much.

ebug99

Re: What to feed?

Post by ebug99 » 15 Feb 2009, 19:32

Fraid I can't help with the website but you can add Nature Diet to Willow's Burns or you could add some raw mince (you can buy bags of freeflow beef, lamb or chicken mince with bone from P@H and other good pet stores and just defrost as much as you need ).

If she's on Burns, she probably doesn't need to have the mince with the bone ground in - you could just add bits of chopped up meat that you might be having for dinner, or a can of oily fish like sardines or mackerel (be careful how much of the oil you give to start off with or try the ones in tomato sauce !)

Teddy loved a bit of natural yogurt or cottage cheese mixed in with his kibble until we started on full BARF - he just gets it as a snack now.

I found BARF'ing quite easy once I'd got the hang of it. I keep a well stocked freezer and defrost overnight for the next day. Teddy usually has chicken wings for brekkie and beef or lamb mince with either chopped heart, kidney, tripe or liver with a handful of mixer and veggies for supper. I also add fish oil and vit E capsules as recommended by Frosty over on DT, who is the BARF guru !!

He loves it and is as fit as a fiddle !

HTH,
Liz x

PS - edited to say that eating raw bones really helps to keep teeth clean - but if you're squeamish about chickens wings gnawing on a marrowbone is also very good !
xxxXX Teddy & Harvey XXxxx

amber

Post by amber » 15 Feb 2009, 19:35

Hi There,
You may find some useful ideas on this thread too.
http://www.labradoodle.org.uk/forum/vie ... =1&t=11172

marshybee

Post by marshybee » 15 Feb 2009, 19:48

Can I ask what Kibble is? I have had problems with ziggy getting fed up with his food I have fed him Pets at Home Chicken complete as I was told this is made by Eukanuba but then he gets fed up after a while, so then I tried Beta ok for a bit gets fed up, At the moment we are having Eukanuba for breakfast Mince morsals for dinner then either butchers tripe & mixer or pedigree chum & mixer for tea. He is 9mths old after reading on the forum to give him a raw chicken wing I tried this but he will not eat raw meat, Sometimes I boil chicken wings strip them off the bone and give him them with rice. Sunday lunch he always has a sunday dinner. Touch wood I have had no problems with him. except for getting fed up then he will just leave it.

Image[IMG]

A Dog Wags it's tail with it,s Heart

Jac

Post by Jac » 15 Feb 2009, 19:49

It is perfectly ok to add meat/veg or Nature Diet to Burns if Williow is bored of it. I think Burns do a mixer biscuit too.

If you are interested in BARF have a look at http://www.landywoods.co.uk. They deliver once a month to most areas. You need to have a min order of £40 and it works out a lot cheaper than Nature Diet or Burns. The only downside is you need a good size freezer and you have to remember to defrost the food everyday. If you are worried about having the time in the morning you can always give Burns for breakfast and BARF for dinner. :)
The Bear

ebug99

Post by ebug99 » 15 Feb 2009, 19:55

[quote="marshybee"]Can I ask what Kibble is? quote]

I use it as a generic term for any dried dog food - but apologies if that's not right. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong !

Liz x
xxxXX Teddy & Harvey XXxxx

Bid

Post by Bid » 15 Feb 2009, 20:32

This site compares most complete food.... http://labradoodle.org.uk/forum/viewtop ... 11&t=10441

I don't find Barf too much hassle now I'm used to it. I just get the next meal out of the freezer when I feed them. I don't give any supplements or veg in the mornings as I want to be quick, and if you get the food from Landywoods you can choose to have some with the veg already in it, some with the bones already there, and some with offal, which makes your life really easy :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Pippa08

Post by Pippa08 » 15 Feb 2009, 20:49

Jac wrote:It is perfectly ok to add meat/veg or Nature Diet to Burns if Williow is bored of it. I think Burns do a mixer biscuit too.

If you are interested in BARF have a look at http://www.landywoods.co.uk. They deliver once a month to most areas. You need to have a min order of £40 and it works out a lot cheaper than Nature Diet or Burns. The only downside is you need a good size freezer and you have to remember to defrost the food everyday. If you are worried about having the time in the morning you can always give Burns for breakfast and BARF for dinner. :)
I get 2 weeks supply from a pet shop who sell Landywoods because I haven't got that much freezer room, Pippa really enjoys it and as the vet says she is as healthy as a butchers dog. :D

mistydog

Post by mistydog » 15 Feb 2009, 23:17

Freddie is 10months old and I can get his meat from the local pet shop. He has raw mince and a large chicken wing at tea time, no breakfast, no lunch most day. Some days he has a small cup of biscuit and an egg once a week he has a small time of fish (32p) with some biscuit. He has a few bonio biscuits after his walk. The raw food diet is dead easy and a frozen wing is a good treat for a dog being left for a few hours.
I have always been very wary of feed this expensive dog food, I try and think what a dog would eat in the wild which is probably why Freddie mugs the cat and eats his rabbits.

Rhonk

Post by Rhonk » 16 Feb 2009, 14:51

Hi Anna

Bonzo has adult burns now but i add some things to it sometimes - sometimes the nature diet (in little plastic trays, not pouches) or meat from pets at home, or left overs :D He doesn't really seem bored of it, as long as he gets lots of different things at other times - he always gets interesting things in his kong and a vary the treats he gets etc....

annabanana

Post by annabanana » 16 Feb 2009, 17:10

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. I will look again into BARF as Willow REALLY loves her chicken wings and I'm sure she'd be a very happy girl with all that raw meat. I have been somewhat put off by pictures of whole trotters etc that people have posted on here! Yuk! If I could find a pet shop that I could buy 2 weeks supply from at a time would be fab! Thanks again,

PS My gentle leader has just arrived so wish me luck.

Smyla

Post by Smyla » 16 Feb 2009, 19:48

Fraggle started off on Beta and by the time he was 4 months he'd gone off it entirely. I even tried adding pilchards, sardines and Mackeral-The oily fish was also to help with his dandruff. Unfortuately it didn't help in encouraging him to eat his Beta, but simply to eat the fish and spit the beta out!!!

Anyway, moved onto James Wellbeloved(twice the price, but worth it!) He can't get enough of it and two months on, his coats amazing, the dandruff has cleared up and he's calmed down aswell.

I advocate James wellbeloved all the way.

AnnetteP

Post by AnnetteP » 16 Feb 2009, 20:39

Several people on this forum talk about adding raw mince to dried foods. I started doing this a couple of months ago when Piran wouldn't eat all his food. It was advised by the breeder. But last week the vet blamed his tummy bug on the raw mince. I was told not to feed it any more. The advice was that if I wouldn't eat it raw then nor should the dog. I was too worried at the time to ask about marrow bones. Has anyone else been advised to avoid raw mince?

frosty

Post by frosty » 16 Feb 2009, 20:57

Nature Diet is a complete food so you dont need to add anything to it TBH.
Its 60% is meat and the rest brown rice or potato and veg and minerals.

I understand though that its quite expensive to feed this alone when you have large dogs like doodles.
You would be better to add this to the kibble (dried food- yes your right Ebug :wink: ) as opposed to just a mixer. The kibble is a complete, whereby the mixer isnt. Id only ever use a mixer if adding just meat, otherwise you will be giving them far too many carbs and not a lot else.

Its a myth BTW that dried food cleans teeth. Can you imagine what our teeth would be like if we ate dried biscuits for a week and didn't brush them :shock:

Marrow bones and all bones TBH are the best things to keep a dogs teeth clean.

Annette I dont know how your vet can say that the raw mince caused him an upset tummy :roll: (did he do tests to determine this??) . What do you think dogs would eat in the wild??? Their stomachs are designed to eat raw meat (short digestive tract) and have a naturally high amount of hydrochloric acid in the stomach for digesting protein and killing harmful bacteria. All dogs at some point can get upset tummies. Mine do very very occasionally and its usually due to eating something very dead and decomposed in the woods. They eat a variety of raw meats, chicken, bones, eggs etc on a daily basis.
"The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues."

AnnetteP

Post by AnnetteP » 16 Feb 2009, 21:21

Frosty, no tests were done. He wasn't nasty to me about it, and admitted that it was his particular hobby horse. He said that as the mince had a large surface area it would come in contact with more bacteria and so be more contaminated. TBH it doesn't sound so feasible now in the cold light of day. But as an over anxious first time puppy mum it made me feel very intimitated. i could feel myself blushing, and felt about 2" tall.

I'll probably play safe for the next week while Piran recovers, and then try him again.

Thanks for the advice.