Puppy Play Pens - advice needed

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
wee-doodle

Puppy Play Pens - advice needed

Post by wee-doodle » 16 Feb 2009, 18:53

Hi Everyone

I am picking up my labradoodle puppy on Saturday and having a bit of a panic on what I need to buy for him arriving. We have a stack of toys, crate, bedding etc.
A few friends have recommended a puppy pen but I am not too sure whether it will used or if it is just a waste of money.
I have a large kitchen and would prefer a room divider to prevent him from chewing at my kitchen units but having searched the internet and shops I can't find anything that I think would be suitable.

I'm looking for recommendations and advice - any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Julie :?:

bubble66

Re: Puppy Play Pens - advice needed

Post by bubble66 » 16 Feb 2009, 19:00

Hi

We used a puppy play pen and found it invaluable - I can't recommend using one highly enough. It was big enough for our puppy to stretch out in (we didn't use a crate, just the pen) and found that when we had to go out and leave her, I felt that it would be better than a crate (purely because she could stretch out!)

We stopped using it when she was about 8 months old, and I feel that the play pen stopped her wrecking our kitchen! The disadvantage is that it takes up quite a bit of room, which was a pain. However, the room felt brilliant when we eventually took it down and reclaimed the space!

Hope this helps!

Bid

Post by Bid » 16 Feb 2009, 19:02

I had a puppy pen but that was because I had older dogs I wanted to keep away from the puppy somne of the time, and I don't use crates. It would have made quite a good room divider ... http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp? ... pf_id=1766

If it is going to be a permanent fixture, then Orvis do some very flash ones ... http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product_di ... at_id=6666
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

wee-doodle

Post by wee-doodle » 16 Feb 2009, 19:18

Thanks for the advice, I only want to use the crate at bed time so I will definetly get one of the puppy pens/room dividers as I want to give him room to run about but without the temptation to wreck my kitchen!!

Just need to choose one!

Thanks Again

Julie :D

Jayne & Richard

Post by Jayne & Richard » 16 Feb 2009, 19:35

Hi we have got a room divider but it was made for children, it's a babydan one, it's a playpen/room divider. I don't know how it compares on price, we picked ours up second hand but you can buy them new in places like mothercare. It's pretty long if you want it to be and has a gate, it's been very handy with kids, kittens when tiny and Monty!

Pippa08

Post by Pippa08 » 16 Feb 2009, 22:59

I use a baby gate with extensions, you can get them on Amazon.

Lesley and Pippa

joanneday

Post by joanneday » 17 Feb 2009, 09:03

Hi there I'll tell you my experience for what it's worth!
We got a canvas crate (lighter for travelling so I thought) and fashioned a sturdy 'home made' pen so that our pup could have the door of the crate open and room to move (and wee!) when she had to be left.
Within 3 weeks she could force her way out of the pen and had chewed the zip of the canvas crate to the point where it couldn't be fastened and it stank so badly of urine it had to be binned.
TBH she settled much better in her metal crate that we then got and it's secure. If I did it again I think I'd just go for the crate and have her safe in that when she had to be left and not bother with a cumbersome playpen as well.

sophieandmatt

Post by sophieandmatt » 18 Feb 2009, 10:48

joanneday wrote:Hi there I'll tell you my experience for what it's worth!
We got a canvas crate (lighter for travelling so I thought) and fashioned a sturdy 'home made' pen so that our pup could have the door of the crate open and room to move (and wee!) when she had to be left.
Within 3 weeks she could force her way out of the pen and had chewed the zip of the canvas crate to the point where it couldn't be fastened and it stank so badly of urine it had to be binned.
TBH she settled much better in her metal crate that we then got and it's secure. If I did it again I think I'd just go for the crate and have her safe in that when she had to be left and not bother with a cumbersome playpen as well.
This is very similar to our experience - Alfie had a 'travel' crate at first as they look a lot more friendly than the 'slammer', but he chewed the zips during the day till it was unusable. Now he has a 'proper' crate he seems to like it more.

We bought a playpen from P@H, but have only used it once as Alfie got frustrated by it, which he doesn't do in the crate.
Alfie - Strong contender for Pack Leader in this house!