Bikes and Doods

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Jayne & Richard

Bikes and Doods

Post by Jayne & Richard » 10 Mar 2009, 22:44

Hi, I just wondered if anybody else had trained their Dood to run by a bike? It took me ages to teach Monty not to walk in front of the buggy, many walks he got tangled up without learning any sense much to everyone elses amusement :oops: He really doesn't seem to catch on quickly when wheels are involved:roll:
I really think he'd love a good run but don't want to end up in a heap with him still running, dragging me along behind :lol:
If anyone knows how I start, at what age I can start and if wrapping myself and Monty in bubble wrap would be a good idea then please share your tips with me :P

Thank you
Jayne

Debs & Co

Re: Bikes and Doods

Post by Debs & Co » 11 Mar 2009, 19:19

Not had that fun yet, Barney was only a pup last year and we had him in our jacket when out riding the bikes as he was too llittle to keep up, although I do recall he ran a little way and was not too bad, but was obviously on the lead.

This year will be fun as we always take the bikes when we go camping and he will have lots of runs to look forward to but at least he should run ahead away fom the bikes (hopefully)

Best of luck
URL=http://www.GlitterMaker.com/]Image[/URL]

ImageImage
[/url]

Jayne & Richard

Post by Jayne & Richard » 11 Mar 2009, 20:00

Took Monty for a walk after picking the kids up from school, youngest in his buggy and the girls on their bikes. He was off lead so had loads of space but still managed to get run over by the buggy, get in my 6 year olds way so she fell off and ran straight into the side of my 8 year olds bike :roll: He didn't look bothered but can you imagine him on a lead with me in tow, I don't think I would be on my bike for long especially if he saw another dog, :roll: I'd be the first person to have their bike towed by a kangaroo :lol:

Woo

Post by Woo » 11 Mar 2009, 21:51

We are just about to properly start running Fib with our bikes, he is now over a year old so should be ready. We have found a flat heathland with wide off road tracks to start him off.
He was introduced to bikes as a pup with one person walking and one person on the bike so hopefully that will have helped.
I am sure once we have run over his paws a couple of times he should soon get the hint to stay out of our way!!!

mistydog

Post by mistydog » 11 Mar 2009, 22:03

A friend of ours was concussed when his dog ran infront of his bike while he was holding the lead! You can buy a 'rod thing' which will attach to any bike which keeps the dog away from the bike. I keep thinking about it. Freddie will be a year in April, but still think he is too young. I like him to stop and sniff things!

Daisy(mini)Doodle

Post by Daisy(mini)Doodle » 12 Mar 2009, 19:59

Have a look at this item on ebay ref 120389088389 its a pole and lead you attach to your bike and allows the doodle to run alongside you. I have one works well much better than trying to hold the lead. Daisy picked it up straight away although she has a tendency to run in front of me when of the lead
Chris & Pauline Daisy & Ziva
ImageImage