Freya's Puppies - about time for a progress report I think!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
RachPach

Freya's Puppies - about time for a progress report I think!

Post by RachPach » 13 Mar 2009, 00:08

Haven't heard much from Mungo's siblings recently so thought I'd find out how they're all doing.

Mungo is just fab! He's a very chilled out, eager to please softy in the house and completely nutty & bouncy outside! We're all so happy with him and can't imagine life without him.

He's definitely hit puberty now, he's learnt to cock his leg and now has to wee every few paces :roll: He's very very keen on his teddy :oops: and is starting to run much further away from us on walks now. The only real problem we've had is with sheep. Luckily he's only got into the sheep field once but that was enough to frighten the life out of me so now we have to be careful to put him back on the lead whenever we're near them. Fortunately I know the man who looks after the sheep and have bought him a few pints to keep him on side!

On the training side he's doing brilliantly and was promoted up a class 2 weeks ago so we're now learning about self-control and play. It's so interesting learning about all the psychology - we have a specific training toy that he's only allowed to play with when we're training. Mungo gets so excited when it comes out bless him. His recall is great (unless there's sheep about!) and his heel is coming along too. I've even tried a couple of very gentle jogs with him. I'm not going to start running properly with him until he's at least one but I go out for a short jog every week with him to get him used to it. He's brilliant at it and just trots along by side wagging his tail like crazy. I've just ordered a special harness and belt thing with an elasticated lead which my friend has recommended. It looks great and my friends dog recognises the difference between walkies and runs now from the harness going on!

I took him to the vets today for a general health check and he passed with flying colours, thank God. He's 22.5kg. Be interesting to see how that compares to the others? Also, Linda, seem to recall you put Bella & Chloes weight on here recently. Be good to see if Mungo has much more growing to do. I discussed neutering with the vet and he said he'd rather leave it until he's 10 months as he thinks he's got a little more growing to do. So he's booked in for the end of April :shock: I'm dreading it.

Think that's all for now apart from a food question....I forgot to ask the vet. Should I still be feeding him puppy food or can I progress to junior JWB? Also, he's fed 3 times a day at the moment & I've been thinking about phasing out his lunchtime meal. Is it too early?

The only other thing I wanted to say was that Max (my son) came home from school yesterday with a sticker for good work. I asked what it was and he said he'd written a lovely story about his best friend....Mungo! How sweet is that! Well apart from the last sentence when he'd written 'I love my dog so much except when he bites me' :evil: Worried we'll have social services out now!

Seriously Linda, I've said it before but I'll say it again, thanks for giving us the most wonderful dog we could wish for. He's added so much to our lives and my kids (& us!) have become so much more outdoorsy because of him. He's an absolute star in our village and still draws so many compliments from people on how beautiful and gorgeous he is. He's such a big softy and we love him to pieces. Even OH (who's never had dogs before) commented the other day on how amazed he is at just how attached you get to them. I really pondered on having a 3rd child for a long time then decided on a dog instead and he's just become my 3rd baby boy.

Big cuddles to all Mungos family out there. Would love to hear how you're all getting on.
Rach & Mungo

ebug99

Re: Freya's Puppies - about time for a progress report I think!

Post by ebug99 » 13 Mar 2009, 12:17

Hi Rach,

How spooky - I was thinking about you yesterday and very nearly rang !!

Lovely to hear that Mungo is doing well - but we need photos Rach (tut tut ;-) !!)

Teddy is great also and we are both totally besotted. He is our #1 baby boy !! :P

He's 23 inches tall and weighs just over 20kg, so still slightly slender but I guess he'll fill out soon enough.

Like Mungo, Teddy is very good in the house - the only issue remaining is his barking - he's a bit like Freya in that respect, but he's slowly learning that it doesn't get him attention. It's so funny though - it's almost like he has doggy Tourettes and can't help himself then tries to disguise his bark into something else - it goes a bit like this:

"woof, woorrrrgggghhhhhhhmmmmmffffff" :lol:

He now sleeps in the lounge during the night and has been really good, doesn't chew anything ! He still wakes us up quite early but just barks a couple of times and then waits for us to get up rather than the incessant barking we got when he was in his crate. I might be brave and get rid of it altogether in a couple of weeks.......

Puberty has hit Teddy too !! He is obsessed with his bits :roll: (typical boy!) and has started cocking his leg - hardly ever squats now but seems to be constantly peeing up against something !

He has always been keen to go and meet other dogs but now he can smell them a mile off and we have to have eyes like a hawk to get him back on lead before he spots them and legs it ! He is suffering from temporary deafness too (a symptom of high testosterone levels according to our trainer) when he is around other dogs so his recall is less reliable at the moment :|
I don't think it'll be long before the snip. :shock:

Otherwise, indoor tranining is going really well and he takes his KC bronze test on 1st April !

I echo your thanks to Linda !! We simply can't imagine life without a dog now and are even thinking about a playmate for Teddy !

Liz x
xxxXX Teddy & Harvey XXxxx

ebug99

Post by ebug99 » 13 Mar 2009, 13:11

Thought I'd better practise what I preached to Rach by adding a couple of recent pics !!

Not just a pretty face !!

Lord Muck !

Handsome dood !

Liz x

amber

Post by amber » 13 Mar 2009, 17:55

Quote Rach:
Seriously Linda, I've said it before but I'll say it again, thanks for giving us the most wonderful dog we could wish for. He's added so much to our lives and my kids (& us!) have become so much more outdoorsy because of him. He's an absolute star in our village and still draws so many compliments from people on how beautiful and gorgeous he is. He's such a big softy and we love him to pieces. Even OH (who's never had dogs before) commented the other day on how amazed he is at just how attached you get to them. I really pondered on having a 3rd child for a long time then decided on a dog instead and he's just become my 3rd baby boy.
Big cuddles to all Mungos family out there. Would love to hear how you're all getting on. unquote

You're really welcome Rach. Families like yours make it easy to be a breeder.

Looking forward to some new piccies.

Teddy's looking great Liz!
Hugs and kisses to Mungo and Teddy, maybe Katie will be around with some Lucy pics soon :P :mrgreen:
xx
Last edited by amber on 13 Mar 2009, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.

amber

Post by amber » 13 Mar 2009, 18:03

I echo your thanks to Linda !! We simply can't imagine life without a dog now and are even thinking about a playmate for Teddy !

You and David are very loving parents Liz. Well done on the training. He just didnt really like the crate door shut did he? It must be a relief now he is happier and quieter. When You are satisfied Teddy is ready, a playmate is a good idea for him. :mrgreen:

misskatie

Post by misskatie » 14 Mar 2009, 20:27

Hi!!! We're all fine, but in a bit of a rush, so I'll take some photos tomorrow and put them on, so they'll be right up to date. Lovely to hear about her brothers - we've all been so lucky having one of these puppies, haven't we! We need to start thinking of when we can all get together. Lucy is more than I could ever have hoped for. Everyone who meets her falls in love with her. She is doing brilliantly with her dog training classes - the trainer keeps saying how clever she is. She is so affectionate, and loves to come and climb on our laps for a cuddle. She has really helped me through a dreadful 6 months.
Anyway, I'll get some pics for tomorrow, and some for the other thread, of her making herself comfy on our brand new sofa!
Lucy

misskatie

Post by misskatie » 16 Mar 2009, 14:18

Here is Lucy, enjoying the sun yesterday...

Lucy

amber

Post by amber » 16 Mar 2009, 14:58

Oh Katie, my heart has just broken. She is soooo cute.
Bless her little heart.
X

tashanlouie

Post by tashanlouie » 16 Mar 2009, 15:01

Lovely pics, Lucy is gorgeous as is Teddy, cant believe how much they have grown, doesn't seem 2 mins since Linda announced that Freya was having pups
Tasha

ebug99

Post by ebug99 » 16 Mar 2009, 15:55

Katie, she is stunning, her coat is fabulous !!

We must try and meet up before they reach their 1st birthdays !

Liz x

PS - edited to say, come on Rach - your turn for photos !!!!

Laus

Post by Laus » 16 Mar 2009, 18:47

They are both absolutely gorgeous!!!

RachPach

Post by RachPach » 17 Mar 2009, 00:20

Ahh Katie, Lucy is adorable. Still can't decide whether I prefer clipped or 'au natural'. I love Mungo shorter but then I see Lucy and think 'ahhh all fluffy...' :roll:

I'll take some photos if Mungo this week and put them up. I tried taking some this pm but he's not himself at the moment as he has an eventful trip to the vet (see other posting :shock: ) so he's a bit peed off and not looking his best, bless him.

We must all get to meet up - I visited my friend in Dorking last month and did think about getting touch but ended up being a bit of a flying visit so not enough time. I'll probably be down again in a couple of months so will let you know....

Big hugs from Mungo & me.
Rach & Mungo

RachPach

Post by RachPach » 17 Mar 2009, 23:16

Here's Mungo....

Yesterday feeling a bit sorry for himself after the rat saga...

A couple of weeks ago playing fetch with Max...

And I can't resist sharing this with you from last month (this is going to be our Christmas card next year :D )

Rach & Mungo

RachPach

Post by RachPach » 17 Mar 2009, 23:28

I'm not sure whether this will work as I haven't uploaded a video before - far too technical for me :roll:

This goes back to when we were 2 feet deep in snow and I was rather cruel is asking Mungo to find his ball...bless he tried :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rach & Mungo

tashanlouie

Post by tashanlouie » 18 Mar 2009, 11:13

Mungo is gorgeous :D
Tasha