There's a rat in 'me' puppy, what am I going to do?!!!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
RachPach

There's a rat in 'me' puppy, what am I going to do?!!!

Post by RachPach » 17 Mar 2009, 00:04

Just wondered if anyone had experienced a similar experience to this....

I took Mungo a long walk over the fields yesterday and, to my horror, he picked up and ate a dead mouldy old rat :shock: We all chased him round for a while trying to get it back off him but he was having none of it, then gulp and it was gone :shock: I then (stupidly) took him on the same walk this morning and he found another one and did it again.

I then panicked that, as the field was near a farm, the rats could have been poisoned so a trip to the vet and £200 later :evil: we've had vit K injections and various blood tests which so far have proved to be negative, thank god.

Has anyone else had a doodle with a penchant for dead vermin (and the little monkey had the cheek to turn his nose up at my dinner today - surely JWB & Naturediet is better than rat?)

Incidently, the vet has told me if it happens again I have to make him sick asap and the best thing for this is soda crystals put on the back of the tongue. I bought some today at Tesco for 70p so it might be worth putting that on your next shopping list - you never know when you might need it and if its going to save you £200 at the vets it's money well spent!
Rach & Mungo

clarey

Re: There's a rat in 'me' puppy, what am I going to do?!!!

Post by clarey » 17 Mar 2009, 01:10

Hi - not had dead rats but Roxy is rather partial to all sorts of things when we're out as been sick on many occasions!!

Had heard about the soda crytals and have some in the cupboard just incase - not had to use them yet though. It's a good tip.

Hope you don't find any more rats!

Clare & Roxy

amber

Post by amber » 17 Mar 2009, 01:19

Well Rach, you know what i think and you did the right thing to take him, it's definitely better safe than sorry. Warfarin is the main ingredient in Rat poison. It doesnt always show until it is too late to do anything of any use though. Warfarin causes the animal to gradually bleed to death.
If your pet brings up blue vomit the chances are that he has ingested rat poison or slug pellets, and an immediate trip to the vets is necessary. As said with Rat poison they are not always sick so soda chrystals as an emergency aid is a good idea in that set of circumstances. You should also look out for blood in the urine or fecal matter. Paling of the gums, and lethergy.
Living near a farm by a field and finding dead rats is an indication that the farmer uses Rat poison, and a dog will sniff it out if used in blocks too, as it has a tempting smell.
Glad all is in hand though Rach. Let us know. I'm thinking of you and him, and wishing you well.
Linda x

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 17 Mar 2009, 09:05

Hi,
Just read this post and its put me off my breakfast,!! how can such beautiful dogs eat such horrible things !! ? luv um !
I'll watch carefully when out and Dylan is off the lead which is only just beginning.
This is why this site is so useful I have never heard of this before.
Even my old dog who ate anything would have turned his nose up at a dead rat !
Hope your dog is OK we never seem to stop worrying about one thing or another, bit like children I suppose.

Madeleine
ImageImage

RachPach

Post by RachPach » 17 Mar 2009, 09:34

Bless, how cute is Dylan. He looks like butter wouldn't melt so I'm sure he wouldn't eat a rat :D

Mungo's much better today. He couldn't settle for a while last night & was definitely feeling a bit sorry for himself but finaly went to sleep when we got him a pillow :roll: We'll carry on keeping a close eye on him, oh the joys of checking wee & poo :lol: :lol: :lol: We get the results of the second set of blood tests tomorrow so fingers crossed.

In the meantime, a different walk for us today me thinks!
Rach & Mungo

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 17 Mar 2009, 11:35

Hi, glad to hear none the worse so far, Dylan eats tissues found anywhere God knows what they were used for !! I must admit I don't like fishing them out of his mouth and carry some of that antibacterial stuff, yuk !
Just had another 40.00 vet bill for eye infection ! will have to check insurance ! still luv him though !!

Madeleine
ImageImage

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 17 Mar 2009, 12:30

Hi

Join the gang of mad Doodle owners who seem to have their hands/arms permanently down their Dood's throat retrieving the latest tempting morsel :oops:

Jack has never gone in for rat but did try human poo - twice - totally yuk as you can see in this thread
(you need a strong stomach :oops: )

http://labradoodle.org.uk/forum/viewtop ... 37&start=0
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 17 Mar 2009, 13:07

Daisy is up for anything dead, but thankfully hasn't come across any rats yet. Most farmers will put poison down near the rat's nests so that they mainly die hidden away, but there's always gong to be the odd rogue rat (or rogue farmer :shock: ) so it's as well to know what to do - thanks Rach!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Asbo Dog

Post by Asbo Dog » 17 Mar 2009, 15:24

Sadly, Poppy would prefer to eat some mouldy dead thing than anything I put in a bowl for her. That is of course, unless it consists of left overs from a roast dinner!! Our most recent problem has been her having worms from eating such delicacies. Equally, as stomach churning! Luckily, a few tablets and careful monitoring has cured the problem. I don't have any miracle answer to stop them from this favourite past time, just lots of shouting seems to do the trick. Eventually!!

MarknRach

Post by MarknRach » 17 Mar 2009, 15:37

Nobby has a thing for birds.. he will sit there for hours watchingn them occasionally barking at them.. then brings me the present as if its some game of fetch..

grim i know..

at my dads house he caught 8 in one day until we put a scare crow up..

Debs & Co

Post by Debs & Co » 17 Mar 2009, 17:12

Oh yuck, not had that delight yet, cat poo is probably the worst and I was not going to try to remove that :roll:

Glad to hear that he is OK so far, the things we have to do for our Doodles though we would move heaven and earth if necessary.

Great tip about the soda crystals, I will add them to my shopping list to keep for emergencies,
URL=http://www.GlitterMaker.com/]Image[/URL]

ImageImage
[/url]

Dexter_Mir

Post by Dexter_Mir » 17 Mar 2009, 17:51

Your not giving him a kiss tonight then !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Daisy(mini)Doodle

Post by Daisy(mini)Doodle » 17 Mar 2009, 20:12

Nothing dead yet. But two live mice in the house thanks to the cats getting bored. Caught and crunched a mouse whilst in the park. And two weeks ago caught a live hopping rabbit which she let go on the command drop and happily watched it bounce away.
Chris & Pauline Daisy & Ziva
ImageImage

misskatie

Post by misskatie » 17 Mar 2009, 20:26

Ooooh, don't you just love em, and their endearing little habits!!
Hope he's OK Rach. Let us know the outcome of the bloodtest.
Lucy

mistydog

Post by mistydog » 17 Mar 2009, 21:30

Freddie mugged the cat on Saturday of a mouse and kept it until Sunday - YUKE. He kept bringing it to me and wanting me to chase him for it, some hope. I wish I had a picture of it hanging out of his mouth.