WASTING MY MONEY !!!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Madeleine

WASTING MY MONEY !!!

Post by Madeleine » 24 Mar 2009, 23:08

Has anyone else realised we are wasting out money on toys for our much loved doods ?
I am sitting in my living room looking around and realise the mess our Dylan has made not with his toys all over the place but with a pair of old shoes that he is hell bent in ripping apart , an old M & S shopping bag, a twig from the garden, an empty plastic bottle filled with a few treats that keep him occupied for hours and oh yes his blanket that he drags around, occasionally trying to mount it, his toys are all in his box next to his bed all neatly put away, why do I bother I ask you !!!!

I still can't resist it though everytime I go shopping I buy him something, I am going to try not to next time Yeah Yeah !!

Madeleine
ImageImage

ebug99

Re: WASTING MY MONEY !!!

Post by ebug99 » 24 Mar 2009, 23:24

Have often had the same thought myself !!!!

Teddys' favourite toys are his bit of vet bed that he came home from his breeder with,
small plastic water bottles (with or without treats in) and pairs of holey socks of ours that we have knotted together.

All the sophisticated (and expensive) toys we've got him usually remain in his toy box !!

Oh well, it's fun buying them !

Liz x
xxxXX Teddy & Harvey XXxxx

janettehamman

Post by janettehamman » 25 Mar 2009, 10:32

Madeleine wrote:Image

Has anyone else realised we are wasting out money on toys for our much loved doods ?
I am sitting in my living room looking around and realise the mess our Dylan has made not with his toys all over the place but with a pair of old shoes that he is hell bent in ripping apart , an old M & S shopping bag, a twig from the garden, an empty plastic bottle filled with a few treats that keep him occupied for hours and oh yes his blanket that he drags around, occasionally trying to mount it, his toys are all in his box next to his bed all neatly put away, why do I bother I ask you !!!!

I still can't resist it though everytime I go shopping I buy him something, I am going to try not to next time Yeah Yeah !!

Madeleine
Hi Madelieine

I'm the same always buying Holly new toys at the supermarker lol. I have found that quite a lot don't last long some only a day or two a waste of money really. She mainly has chews and bones in our newspaper basket which is now her toy box. I tidy them up into it and she then pulls out what she wants. I will try the empty plastic bottle thats a good one for this weeks toy. We've lost losts of small bouncy balls that go in the ball thrower in the garden too so I am still buying those on a regular basis.

Still keeps me happy lol xx

I'm still trying to get Holly's little pic on my avitar by the side of the post it seems impossible the pic has to be so small.

ImageImage

ImageImage

amber

Post by amber » 25 Mar 2009, 14:57

We must be very lucky then, ours live for months, just being carried around like prized trophy's :lol: :P

2963da

Post by 2963da » 25 Mar 2009, 15:18

Hi

Just reading this thread and this may seem a really daft question :?: but was wondering about the small water bottles for treats that you mention. :?
If you give them to yours doods with treats in them do they not chew the bottles to bits ( i know Muffy would), or is that the idea. Would be great to find something for her that lasts more than a few minutes.
If I give Muffy any soft toy she has the stuffing out within minutes and now we have lots of stuffingless toys laying around the house.
I agree we must spend loads of money on toys for them, but in the end all they are all worth it. :P

Dawn and Muffy.

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 25 Mar 2009, 17:46

Hi Dawn

Yes I do use the water bottles which do only last an hour or so but he has fun with it, and they cost nothing I have also used the plastic bottle that the treats come in which is of thicker plastic actually it was by accident he stole it from work surface, luckily only a few left otherwise he would have had a feast !!,
There is a toy on the market which is made of very strong plastic that is weighted at the bottom and has a hole in the top which can be loaded with treats, as they hit around the garden or house the treats fall out, it reminds of the kids weebles he really loves this and would probably be good for your dog as vertually indestructable

They do get bored quickly so its handy to have something cheap that keeps them occupied, his latest is an old football with a puncture, he can dash around with it shaking the life out of it !

Madeleine
ImageImage

2963da

Post by 2963da » 25 Mar 2009, 18:57

Thanks for that Madeleine. Now I know what I can do with my old water bottles.

As for the football Muffy has one of those that she pinched from my son one day and punctured (he was not amused :( ), but Muffy thinks its great fun running round the garden with it in her mouth while you try to catch her!

Bid

Post by Bid » 25 Mar 2009, 19:39

I save all my cardboard boxes, then I make puzzles out of them. I put a treat in the smallest, and put that into a bigger bow, working my way up to cereal boxes which is usually about 4 or 5 boxes altogether. It makes a lot of mess, but keeps them occupied for about 15 minutes, after which I have to pick up all the chewed cardboard :roll: (It fits in the recycling box much better after it has been processed by the doods!)
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Smyla

Post by Smyla » 25 Mar 2009, 21:46

We were super eager to give Fraggle lots of entertainment when he was a pup and quite quickly realised he was more intersted in a pair of old crocs, kindling from the fire and an old teddy of mine. Infact we gave up on spending a fortune in the pet store, instead we went to the charity shop. spent 3 pounds on a load of second hand toys. His favourite is "Angelica" from the Rugrats!

Mad Max

Post by Mad Max » 26 Mar 2009, 14:36

Having only recently added the Dood to our family we haven't got the stacks of toys yet! although we did have fun picking out all the toys for when he was coming home. His current (proper dog toys) favs are Nylabone rope with rubber spiky thing on (also great when he tries to nip you you can put it in his mouth instead) and his Bonzo dog. But he also loves tennis balls and stripping them of their outer coating.
He keeps trying to get shoes/wellies, etc, but we are trying to not let him get into the habit of getting shoes and chewing them, but you have to be quick :lol:
If you find your doods going through footballs quite quickly, one trick we learnt when we had our German Sheppard (who used to be able to destroy a football in about 2 mins flat) was give them a basketball, they are obviously slightly larger and the material is a lot tougher. She used to have hours or fun, and even when she eventually pierced it (I have no idea how), she would still carry it about and shake it to death

Jeanny

Post by Jeanny » 31 Mar 2009, 21:49

Plantpots, the plants removed and galloped about with first (pond plant made it into the lounge one day!) Cardboard boxes are a favourite. But she does like the expensive things I've bought her too. And I've not had much vandalism in the house. Now getting into real meaty bones, which keep her occupied for hours. Her lab friend has shown her how to eat a pigs foot- uggggggghhhhh.

She was just 12 weeks old here

Dontcha just love them!
Arianne, dirty, hot and scruffy - now a whole year old - with her pal Mollie.

Daisy(mini)Doodle

Post by Daisy(mini)Doodle » 01 Apr 2009, 17:48

I brought daisy one of those footballs (Karlie Action ball')with the webbing strap around and a rope at each end £9.99. It lasted around 30 seconds before being punctured so I took it back to the pet shop I got a refund but was told ' You have to be careful what toys you buy for a dog' My reply' This is a pet shop you are selling these as dog toys!' Reply'Well we do sell a lot of them'
The best I have found other than an old plant pot or 'lenor/comfort' bottle with pasta in it are the 'planet dog' balls
Chris & Pauline Daisy & Ziva
ImageImage

marshybee

Post by marshybee » 01 Apr 2009, 20:30

Fed up with buying Ziggy loads of pet toys which he only has for about one day if I'm lucky then he starts to pull the stuffing out. I now go to the charity shop buy kids toys which have the safety label I just put them through the washing machine they seem to last him a lot longer,Image especialy the Disney toys