Woof wont pee or poo in public???

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Bubbarooandemmatoo

Woof wont pee or poo in public???

Post by Bubbarooandemmatoo » 27 Mar 2009, 10:18

As the title suggests, Woof wont "go" but on his patch of designated grass outside. :roll: We can go for walks and maybe he'l do the occasional wee, (VERY RARE) but, and I know here I shouldnt complain, but he manages a car journey to puppy training, an hour of puppy training a car journey back and then dashes to the strip of his own turf and does his business. Same with the walk up to school or round the block or wherever? Only poos at home. I havent been on any massive walks only because hes a littleun,maybe when we start going for longer treks will he relieve himself? :?

Is he a private dood :oops: who doesnt like an audience and will he overcome this pooing in public? I dont like to think of him wanting to go but feeling like he cant. Am I being daft an that Im sure if he really really really needed it, hed drop one? :?

bertiesmum

Re: Woof wont pee or poo in public???

Post by bertiesmum » 27 Mar 2009, 10:37

I remember Bertie being a bit like this, so we had a few mornings where I got up a bit early, got dressed straight away and took him out for a short walk - didn't let him go in the garden first. He was so desperate, he had to wee when we were out and lost all his inhibitions about doing it!
Now it feels like we have 'display weeing'! (How high up the lamp-post can he get it)

sophieandmatt

Post by sophieandmatt » 27 Mar 2009, 10:52

I think I've read somewhere (probably on here) that some puppies don't go in places where other dogs might have been. In the wild it stops them being discovered by dogs from other packs until they are a bit more grown up.
Alfie - Strong contender for Pack Leader in this house!

linny

Post by linny » 27 Mar 2009, 11:11

It's a maturity thing, he will start marking as he gets older.....my boy is the same....we can go for a walk
and he does nothing , once we get home it's a mad dash for his patch :lol:

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 27 Mar 2009, 12:05

Hi

Dylan was like this to begin with he would be pulling on his lead in an effort to get back to the garden and before that to the newspaper at the back door, I think he began to go out when we spent more time with him outside, he still sometimes waits till he gets home but the he is going more and more now when out, he still however squats for a wee and |I understand they cock their leg when they are about 8 or 9 months,
Someone told me tht if you go out with a dog that goes outside they will copy which might be an idea if you know someone otherwise as you say you will find woof goes out eventually dont forget the plastic baqgs !!
ImageImage

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 27 Mar 2009, 12:06

sorryn didnt say who I was

Madeleine and Dylan
ImageImage

annabanana

Post by annabanana » 27 Mar 2009, 12:46

Willow is a little shy too :lol: She will wee and poo on a walk but she goes as far away from me as she can before she does. Quite sociable really - saves that aroma when a gust of wind blows it your way!

janettehamman

Post by janettehamman » 27 Mar 2009, 13:55

Bubbarooandemmatoo wrote:As the title suggests, Woof wont "go" but on his patch of designated grass outside. :roll: We can go for walks and maybe he'l do the occasional wee, (VERY RARE) but, and I know here I shouldnt complain, but he manages a car journey to puppy training, an hour of puppy training a car journey back and then dashes to the strip of his own turf and does his business. Same with the walk up to school or round the block or wherever? Only poos at home. I havent been on any massive walks only because hes a littleun,maybe when we start going for longer treks will he relieve himself? :?

Is he a private dood :oops: who doesnt like an audience and will he overcome this pooing in public? I dont like to think of him wanting to go but feeling like he cant. Am I being daft an that Im sure if he really really really needed it, hed drop one? :?
Hi

Holly is 14 months old she wees outside but does the same as Woof and only poos in her own garden. I can tell you though that recently she is now (only when desperate) starting to go when we are at family and friends gardens. I am not sure if she will change but it works for us as I can pick it up straight away in our garden as we also have the problem of her eating it YUCK!

As you say think when he needs to go, same with Holly they will but prefer their own patch.
ImageImage

ImageImage

Bubbarooandemmatoo

Post by Bubbarooandemmatoo » 27 Mar 2009, 19:26

Hi all and thank you. All very helpful and informative. We are off for a longer trek on sunday were there should be tons of dogs, so if I see one doing the business, Ill point Woof in the right direction!

Woof also gets a munch on for some of his own poop (minging) although I now make out that his poo isnt too interesting, otheriwse he ends up diving for it. Its a sly race to bag it before he has a crack at it.lol

I can understand the reasoning behind not doing it in fear of larger dogs knowing their there-never thought of that though, maybe more walks, (Still short), by us would be a good idea. More exposure so to speak. Although....

....Im up at 6am all beary eyed and just manage to hop from foot to foot in the back garden, dont know if I could manage a full get dressed , don big coat, wellies and grab dog etc etc... :lol: Im sure hel get it. Im hoping Sunday walkies will be "steamer" full-Sorry! ha ha.x

Thanks again everybody!
Em.x

amber

Post by amber » 27 Mar 2009, 22:55

Pups not doing business in the open is not unusual. It is a defence mechanism.
A young pup/dog doesnt want to leave his smell to alert others he is around.
Maybe going to a meet will help him gain his confidence :mrgreen: :D .