labradoodle code of Practice for Breeders Breeder contract

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Lola

labradoodle code of Practice for Breeders Breeder contract

Post by Lola » 29 Mar 2009, 22:08

I was wondering if anybody had a template or any information that could help me write a breeder contract. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers Paul

Bid

Re: labradoodle code of Practice for Breeders Breeder contract

Post by Bid » 30 Mar 2009, 17:59

Maybe sign up to the breeders section & ask on there?
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 30 Mar 2009, 18:38

Good idea, Bid. My view on a contract is that it should offer protection for the buyer, the seller and most important of all the puppy and should be signed by both parties and a copy given to each. I think it should insist on a vet visit within a few days and offer full refund for a limited period of time with tapered refund after that time, after all it is not right to get only half the price of a pup back after 2 weeks and resell at full price. I believe the contract should insist that rehoming is always done with the breeder's help and that the breeder agrees to take back their puppy if necessary. You have got to consider the law, I once saw a contract from a commercial breeder which broke the law in many ways including refusal to accept responsibility as soon as the puppy was sold, that offered no protection to the puppy and none to the buyer either.
I think Paul you should work what you want for your pups and be upfront with the buyers from the start, I tell enquirers that breeding will be forbidden by contract and the puppy is sold only as a pet, if they don't like that they can go elsewhere. Puppy advice is not part of the contract but something to talk over with the buyer and be written into the puppy pack.
I think every decent brteeder has a different contract as they all have different ways of doing things.
ALWAYS visit the premises and see mum with pup. There are no excuses!
DONT BUY FROM PUPPY HARMERS

Lola

Post by Lola » 30 Mar 2009, 19:41

I have signed in as a breeder but I still cant seem to access the 'breeder forum' does anyone know how?

amber

Post by amber » 30 Mar 2009, 20:59

Hi Paul
You will need to send a private Message to the site owner. Mark Hayhurst (Mhayhurst)

Katie Rourke

Post by Katie Rourke » 07 Apr 2009, 20:42

Hi Paul

There's a copy of my breeder contract on my website: www.barleors-labradoodles.co.uk. Just click on the button at the bottom labelled T's and C's.

If you need to discuss, please feel free to call me.

Kind regards

Katie.
Katie is a passionate canine professional who has been working with dogs all of her adult life. She is an experienced clicker trainer and has trained dogs for Films and TV. Katie now runs http://www.centrestagedoggrooming.co.uk/home.html.

linny2

Post by linny2 » 15 Apr 2009, 03:16

Hi,

A good breeder should offer a comprehensive health warranty for a minimum of two years, and which is not contingent upon returning the puppy for a refund. Most reputable breeders will cover vet expenses up to the cost of the pup.

When Doodles were first bred in the US, not many of the breeders had a health warranty. There has been a lot of work and campaigning over the past decade to get them introduced, and a two year comprehensive health warranty is now pretty much the standard. There is some more information at http://www.goldendoodles.com/choosingbreeder.htm

I wish we had the same thing here in Australia. Some of the bigger breeders still have virtually no health warranty at all.

Best wishes,
Linny, Buffy and Spike
Best wishes,
Linny, Buffy & Spike
Sign the pledge to stop puppy mills at http://action.humanesociety.org/site/Su ... EY_ID=1840

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 15 Apr 2009, 08:46

I've never seen such a contract in the UK, linny2, I can't see why it woud not be possible provided the breeder had a contract limiting liability to the value of the puppy. I would think such a contract would also demand that the owner of the puppy kept up a full insurance which does not exclude previous disease. Others may know more about this than me.
At present a breeder who sells a puppy not fit for the purpose is likely to find that they are liable for vastly more than the value of the puppy in ongoing vets fees, it would be likely that in fact there had also been misrepresentation.
ALWAYS visit the premises and see mum with pup. There are no excuses!
DONT BUY FROM PUPPY HARMERS