Doods and bunnies

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
murfyspaws

Doods and bunnies

Post by murfyspaws » 06 Apr 2009, 13:08

My daughter has decided that it would be a good idea if we got some bunnies :roll: , I am not averse to the idea and I have brought her some rabbit books so she knows all about looking after them. My father in law has said that we would be mad to get rabbits with Murfy as he is part retriever and he would be always trying to kill them. Does anyone out there own rabbits and a dood? I would love to have bunnies and chickens but I am worried!!!

Laura and Murfy x

amber

Re: Doods and bunnies

Post by amber » 06 Apr 2009, 14:16

Hi,
We have a couple of bunnies, and 4 doods.
It's not an easy question to answer though. The doods know that they are our pets, as with our pet rat, but, If the buns were to get out, and you were not there, then one way or another it would be bunny demise. It sadly happened to us. It's not that they attacked the bunny, more that they frightened it to death with constant licking and watching! They would not let the poor thing be. We found her dead, but without any marks on her at all.

Rabbits are not an easy to own, imo, they like company, and freedom, and entertaiment. They love a secure run in the garden, they don't like weather extremities.
Sorry it's not all positive. I do think it could work, but it will depend on the level of time and committment. :)

Tobermory

Post by Tobermory » 06 Apr 2009, 14:48

Hi Laura & Murfy

Just to let you know we have a 'house rabbit' who is the ripe old age of 7. When we introduced Toby about a month ago I was also concerened. I introduced Toby while 'Belle' was sitting on my lap. When he got over enthusiastic I scruffed him and he backed off. I know rabbits are more likely to be 'shocked to death' when they are scared so it was a gentle introduction essuring she felt safe. I'm happy to report that Belle and Toby now live happily. Toby knows not to chase Belle, and Belle is quick to get away should Toby get over keen. Belle happily roams around the house and out onto the patio, and will quite confidently hop past Toby if he is on her path.

Maybe as Toby was 14 weeks when we introduced him it was easier. Also introducing a Rabbit to Murfy's territory may alter the scenario. The only issue I am left with is Toby will try to eat Belle's food at any opportunity!!

The personality of all 'Doods' and 'Bunnies' varies, but just thought I'd share our experience. Good luck if you decide to go ahead. If you are having a garden hutch rabbit, then supervision will be the key.
Lynn

ImageImage

Jac

Post by Jac » 06 Apr 2009, 14:53

We too have bunnies and dogs. :D

My labs love to lick and groom them as if they were their pups but my poodle has the tendency to try and chase them (given the chance), and my dood is somewhere in between.

If you get a bunny it is important to supervise them very closely and never leave them alone together.

Here are some photos I took of of my last litter being introduced to some strange furry creature is their crate! :lol:

The Bear

Murphadoodle

Post by Murphadoodle » 06 Apr 2009, 15:30

We had our rabbit for 10 years!! Yes I know she lived for a very long time!! :shock:
Murphy arrived a few months before our wee rabbit died of old age. :( But we never allowed them out in the garden together. Murphy loved looking at her whilst she was in her cage and she never seemed fussed at all with Murphs. The main reason we didn't put them out together was I couldn't trust our rabbit not to attack Murphs, as she was a little grumpy as she got older.
But I agree Amber, rabbits do tend to die of shock. (friend of mine is a vet nurse and she has told me a few stories of this happening)
Good luck with your decision x
MURPHY X

amber

Post by amber » 06 Apr 2009, 15:41

Jac, that's a lovely Rabbit :mrgreen:

Asbo Dog

Post by Asbo Dog » 06 Apr 2009, 16:21

We used to have guinnea pigs in a run in the garden. 'Used to' being the appropriate word. Our lab and gp's lived very happily for a long time, with the lab paying no attention to the gp's at all. However, Poppy was a different matter. She was totally obsessed with them from being a young puppy and although we desperately tried to train her to leave them alone, it was inevitable that she would get them sooner or later (1 year later). I lost count of the times we added more bits of wood and wire to double insulate the cage, but being quite a strong dog, it only took a few minutes of leaving her outside on her own and the first one went, followed quickly by the second. I was gutted and riddled with guilt for quite a while afterwards. So, all I can say is that in our house having a dood and small furry pets is not a good combination. :(

Lola

Post by Lola » 06 Apr 2009, 17:07

Not sure about pet rabbits but we do have chickens and ducks and we could leave Lola in the chicken pen and she would not touch them. Its the same with ducks on the pond, she just ignores them.

If a moorhen came on the pond it would be a different matter though!!

We never used to tell her off for chasing rabbits until we took her on a cycling holiday. With her running along side the bikes she seemed to gain some extra speed and when we got home she killed 3 rabbits in a week. We no longer let her chase them!!!

Cheers Paul

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 06 Apr 2009, 17:17

Lola, I read your reply with interest as we are getting a Doodle in the Summer and also have chickens. I hadn't really thought about the dog getting at them, as we have cats and they are very uninterested in the chickens, if anything they are slightly wary of them! I guess we will just have to introduce the dog to the chickens under major supervision!

Wendy

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

becky.q

Post by becky.q » 06 Apr 2009, 20:45

daisys not agressive towards our rabbit but she does like to sniff his bum :)

Bid

Post by Bid » 06 Apr 2009, 21:00

It would never work with my doods as they chase everything, but my sister has 2 rabbits who live loose in her garden and terrorise the whole family - that includes 3 teenagers, 2 cats and 2 border collies!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

lizzie tb

Post by lizzie tb » 07 Apr 2009, 19:39

I must admit, I keep my doodles and rabbit separate. My older doodle Toby tends to try and play with Thumper (original name - I know) but I'm not too sure to what he'd do if he got hold of him. When I feed Thumper he tries to pick him up, Thumper just ignores him.
Like it's been suggested I think it's maybe natural for a dog to try to get a rabbit. If you train them like the others have, then it'll probably be ok.
Good luck!

lizzie tb

Post by lizzie tb » 08 Apr 2009, 12:23

As a post script Laura to my post yesterday. I went out into the garden to try and find Toby - he was sat... yes sat... in Thumpers hutch. One side was open, I assume he'd done it and he'd climbed through into the netted closed part. Thumper was sat in the open part, he didn't try to escape. Neither of them was bothering the other. The puppy was just watching.
It was so fuuny I took some photo's, I hope I can load them on for you to see.
Obviously there's no need to worry about what Toby would do to the rabbit, he just wants to get in the hutch and probably eat -whatever!
Hope this helps you to make a decision.

Jac

Post by Jac » 08 Apr 2009, 15:46

Look forward to seeing the photos..... :lol:
The Bear

lizzie tb

Post by lizzie tb » 08 Apr 2009, 23:50

Here goes - hope this works
Last edited by lizzie tb on 08 Apr 2009, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.