Newbie questions -- chancing it on asthma, and home alone

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
bagpussy

Re: Newbie questions -- chancing it on asthma, and home alone

Post by bagpussy » 23 Apr 2009, 09:52

I also did some thorough research on low allergy dogs before getting our doodle. I am allergic to animals in varying degrees, horses being the worst. I grew up on a farm surrounded by animals so I know my tolererance levels really well. When we got Barley I knew I'd have a few weeks of wheezing and sneezing but now I've built up a resistance to her and don't use my inhaler anymore. It was a risk I took based on previous experience.

As a staff nurse in A&E I see some pretty serious asthmas attacks and I would not advocate what I've done to anyone. However, most asthmatics know 'themselves' well so should be able to decided what they can tolerate and what will kick-off an attack. If contact with dogs is virgin territory then I definitely would recommend some contact first before getting a dog.

As for the 'home alone' scenario I do leave Barley on her own for a few hours at a time. Were lucky that we both work shifts and she is rarely left on her own for longer than 3 hours. If we do I just make sure she has a nice walk before and then she just sleeps until we're back.

Hel&Mark

Post by Hel&Mark » 23 Apr 2009, 11:41

I'm in the same boat with my Barley. Me and my son, in fact. But we have built up resistance now, and again, although I'm not advocating it, I can't imagine that we will ever go without a dog in the house. I built up resistance to my horse, and my cat as a child. I paid the price as I had to use steroids etc, but I got there in the end.

One thing I'd like to say is that all allergies are different. And so are people's thresholds for tolerating them. You've got to want something pretty badly to put up with the illness that comes with it.

Another important thing to say is that we have an f1 and an f2b, and although you might think I wouldn't be allergic to (or at least I'd be less allergic to) the f2b, this is not the case. The grease in her coat brought me out in spots and made me wheezy at first even though she doesn't moult. The f1 moults like there's no tomorrow, but now, nearly 2 years later, I can kiss his lovely nose without my lips or eyes swelling up. And that's my reward. :mrgreen:

This is such a personal decision, and only your mil can decide whether she can put up with it, but I would say that it's really sensible of you to take her to mix with lots of different doodles.

Regarding leaving them alone, we can and always could leave one of ours for up to four hours without him being remotely stressed, destructive or noisy. The other one is very stressed when left alone, unless the older dog is with her. They are very different characters, and much as you can train a dog to get used to being left, it can be very time consuming, and difficult to achieve within a deadline. Hopefully our puppy will grow out of this, but if she doesn't, Barley can always be left with her. :)

Just some personal opinions for you to mull over.

Good luck with your decision, and keep us informed. :D
Check this is being adhered to before you buy your puppy:
http://labradoodle.org.uk/forum/viewtop ... =17&t=6560
http://www.labradoodletrust.com

Parker

Post by Parker » 23 Apr 2009, 15:15

theandrewssister wrote:Thank you! I'm moving to Saltdean -- a little village bounded by the Downs on three sides and the sea on the fourth, about three miles east of Brighton. I am so excited!! I live just north of Croydon at the moment, in a very run-down and crime-ridden area, so it will be a massive change for the better. Just thinking of all those lovely long walks on the Downs! :D

How lovely, Saltdean is a lovely place. We are just along the coast in Goring about 3 miles west of Worthing! It is great to have the choice of walks - I don't know about Saltdean but the tide goes out for miles here so it is so safe to take a non-recall-reliable dog without too much stress :D . Funnily I used to live just south of Croydon for 15 years and have absolutely no desire to move back!

Good luck with your decision. Mum in law could always wear a mask or helmet when she comes!
Jo and Parker x
Image Image

julie.caplin

Post by julie.caplin » 27 Apr 2009, 10:41

We live in South Croydon, next to Riddlesdown Common. If you would like to meet a labradoodle just let us know.

theandrewssister

Post by theandrewssister » 27 Apr 2009, 10:48

Jule, that is so kind of you! I have taken a lot of food for thought from the various postings on this topic, and am currently having a good hard ponder / discussion with the family about it all, so I may well come back to you a bit later on that one, if that's OK.

E

joanneday

Post by joanneday » 28 Apr 2009, 07:12

Hi there
just thought I'd tell you our experience. I'll leave Coco for up to 3-4 hours in her crate as she settles down well straight away having been used to it since a little pup and we built time away gradually up from 1/2 hour.
I don't want to leave her longer than that so on work days she goes to in laws or a dog sitter. He charges £12 a day and has her in his own home and walks her too. Another local dog trainers will do it for £17/day but the dogs are outside in their own kennel, or exercised with the other dogs as you like.
I guess you'd have similar options available locally on those days when someone can't be there?
Jo

linny2

Post by linny2 » 28 Apr 2009, 14:00

Hi,

I live in Australia, and Labradoodles have been around here for quite some time. There has been a bit of work done trying to develop a non-shedding multigenerational Labradoodle (sometimes called an Australian Labradoodle or ASD) but unfortunately there still seems to be very little consistency in either type or coat.

From a shedding perspective, your best bet is probably still a backcross Labradoodle or F1B (ie an F1 Labradoodle crossed with a Poodle).

Have you considered a Schnauzer/Poodle cross (Schnoodle)? Both parents are non-shedding, they are usually a bit more independent than Poodles.

Best wishes,
Linny
Best wishes,
Linny, Buffy & Spike
Sign the pledge to stop puppy mills at http://action.humanesociety.org/site/Su ... EY_ID=1840