How do you feed your dog/s?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.

How do you feed your Dog?

I feed commercial/complete food in a bowl
47%
I feed Barf/similar
31%
I feed commercial/complete foods from a Kong/Tug a jug/other device
12%
Other - please explain
10%

Total votes: 58

bagpussy

Re: How do you feed your dog/s?

Post by bagpussy » 07 May 2009, 11:31

Was going to ask about feeding habits as my dood does something I find a little strange. She gets fed purina puppy food (dry).

She has her food in a bowl next to her water bowl but she always picks out a mouthful of biscuits and takes them over to the door mat, sits and eats them and then runs back for more and so on. It takes her ages to eat it all and even then she has to be coaxed to get started.

Maybe she just doesn't really like it? It's whats she's had since we got her.

Barneyboy

Post by Barneyboy » 07 May 2009, 13:46

Dogs by nature are designed to eat small 'prey' - small mammals, etc. They don't normally hunt and bring down large animals and gorge, so your Dood is just keeping her system topped up. By 'coaxing' you may be rewarding the behaviour, and allowing her to do this all day may, and I stress, may lead to behaviour problems that could easily be resolved by putting her bowl down for 10 mins and then picking it up - you control the food, you control the dog ;) However, if you are happy with all aspects of her behaviour, I'd leave things as they are, it isn't doing anyone any harm, it's just one of her foibles.

bagpussy

Post by bagpussy » 12 May 2009, 08:13

I have tried taking her food away but then she just doesn't seem fussed! Anyway, she's a very well behaved dood generally so I'll play it by ear for now.

Thanks

broadloan

Post by broadloan » 12 May 2009, 18:47

Gosh this is a really really interesting thread. I've been despairing recently. I have a 4.5 month old doodle who since I've had him seems to have been only "solid" in the poo department for a matter of weeks. The vet had suggested changing the food from Eukanuba and so I changed recently to James Wellbeloved and 3 weeks on he is just starting again to solidify (sorry gross I know). I would say he's had more energy since changing the food, but he's never been a particularly energetic dog since we got him. I had him last week on boiled chicken and rice for 24 hours due to the loose poo again, and he was such a different dog, full of energy, mischievious etc. I put it down to hunger, however, both my husband and I have read recently about the natural diets and found it interesting. I've been totally neurotic about his food because of the tummy upsets, trying to limit what he eats to see if I can identify what might be annoying his stomach. I normally put a very small amount of cooked chicken or lamb into his kibble. Since he's been back on full portions he's been wolfing his food down in a matter of minutes and then looking at me as if to say..."is that it?" The Kong sounds interesting. BUt can he have stuff like peanut butter at this age? and what other "real" foods can I give him at this stage as well? Also the amounts, with the kibble it's all weighed out and easy but how do you know how much real food to give them?

Kerrylou

Post by Kerrylou » 13 May 2009, 09:05

Went to a Country Show at the weekend and met the Dog Listener (I am sure there is more than one...) who suggested that I move from Science Plan to something like Royal Cannin or some others which evade my memory..I was amazed at the idea that something which I had bought with a view that it was the best quality for my dog could be suggested as leading to loss of concentration and decreased energy...I will let you know how it goes...the intention is to change dry food and once I have finished the BARF book start a mixed diet. Having said that, I do want to keep some perspective on this - I previously had a rescue mongrel puppy and she was fed Bakers et al most of her life, was a fantastic dog and lived a healthy life until her latter years and died at a grand old age of 17.
Kerrylou & Roxydoodle

Jeanny

Post by Jeanny » 14 May 2009, 14:43

We are getting on well with the RMB diet and I feel like I need to broadcast the benefits of not feeding an unnatural diet to our dogs.
My sons lab's (nearly 8) teeth have become beautifully white, coat gleams and they are both very happy and energetic.

Just google rawmeatybones and have a read, I did copy a post on here in health matters

http://www.labradoodle.org.uk/forum/vie ... =6&t=11862

regards
Jeanny
Arianne, dirty, hot and scruffy - now a whole year old - with her pal Mollie.

janettehamman

Post by janettehamman » 14 May 2009, 17:40

Hi we feed Holly a complete food from a local producer with a spoonful of dog meat and veggies and sometimes a spoonful of probiotic yoghurt in a bowl.

She has a little bit of her food quota in the day in her Kong with cottage cheese or meat paste but I am interested in the post by Hel&Mark who feed the meal all from the Kong as we have had problems with Holly eating her poo too. We will maybe get a big Kong to feed her from. Will maybe try the vitamins for her coat as well.
ImageImage

ImageImage

Barneyboy

Post by Barneyboy » 14 May 2009, 17:52

When I got Barney, he had a history of digestive problems, his owner had spent a lot of money on vets bills trying to get his poos 'solid' - I was told he could only eat Nature's Menu....... Well we did that for a few weeks while he settled in, and then started him slowly on Costco own brand Lamb and rice mix (it was stupidly cheap back then, but like lots of dog foods has gone up in price - now around £22 for a 15 kg sack). We've never looked back - he can now eat most things, except chicken (so no Autarky :( ).

The only thing that has changed is that he is no longer locked out of the house to protect small children as in his old home, he is very much an intergrated part of our family and loving being a 'house dog' - I think his digestive problems were down to stress. Stress from being excluded and stress from being under stimulated - hence my mad cap 'never feeding my dog from a food bowl' thing...........

Jeanny

Post by Jeanny » 14 May 2009, 19:21

as we have had problems with Holly eating her poo too.

Quote from Tom Lonsdales book 'Work Wonders'

'Dog poop, resulting from grain based junk food is teeming with live prey, the same as the excrement of cows and sheep, which dogs look to for a source of vitamins and the bodies of billions of microbes.
Dogs fed raw meaty bones seldom, if ever eat their own excrement. '

regards
Jeanny
Arianne, dirty, hot and scruffy - now a whole year old - with her pal Mollie.

Barneyboy

Post by Barneyboy » 14 May 2009, 22:07

Maybe dogs fed raw meaty bones rarely get over fed?

frosty

Post by frosty » 15 May 2009, 09:39

Barneyboy wrote:Maybe dogs fed raw meaty bones rarely get over fed?
Sorry Barneyboy not sure what you mean by the above :?:

Why would an overfed dog eat its own poo??? Wouldnt it be full :lol:
"The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues."

Barneyboy

Post by Barneyboy » 15 May 2009, 11:10

Poo eating is common in dogs who get too much food to digest at one time, so what comes out the other end still appears to them to have nutritional value. BARF fed dogs have a high level of good nutrition in their diet. which appears to be well digested, with smaller poos containing only waste.......

chelsea

Post by chelsea » 15 May 2009, 14:01

That's really interesting. I have a little xbreed rescue pup who eats poo. She is barf fed but she accompanies me everyday to the rescue centre where I work, inevitably when the kennel dogs are being fed she helps herself to their kibble. She only ever eats her own final poo of the day, just before bedtime - around 12 hours after eating the kibble but I have caught her occasionally eating the poo of the kennel dogs. On my days off she never has a midnight poo snack nor does she ever sample the poo of my other dogs who are all barf fed.
Hope no one is having lunch atm :mrgreen:

Katie Rourke

Post by Katie Rourke » 15 May 2009, 16:17

Great thread, its always interesting to see what everyone else is feeding.

Today my freezer broke, and so today, so did the BARF diet for the dogs. I simply couldn't let two bags of scampi, a heap of home-made sausages and all those burgers go to waste....

Flossy is in seventh heaven, David thinks all his birthdays have come at once and George has convinced himself its Christmas all over again.

However, on a normal day, I follow Billinghurst's BARF diet pretty much to the letter, with some additional supplements from the Volhard Diet.

Flossy's puppies will be weaned onto the BARF diet over the next few weeks. I tend to beat them up with a meat tenderiser (the wings of course, not the pups! :shock: ) until they're flat as pancakes and all the bones are smashed to smitherines. By the end of the 2nd week they're on to mildly-mangled wings and by the third week they're tackling whole wings in their entirety.

I don't tend to feed from kongs or the like but they don't always get fed from a bowl. Quite often the bones are scattered on the patio. More so since we invested in a trampoline so the kids have a "clean" area... :wink:

With regards to someone's comment about their dog's bottom exploding on raw meat ... which meat did you try? I only ask as Carolyn Menteith's Polish Lowland, Digby, has huge problems with raw chicken, but any other raw meat suits him fine and Carolyn's had him on the BARF diet (minus Chicken) for probably over 10 years now.
Katie is a passionate canine professional who has been working with dogs all of her adult life. She is an experienced clicker trainer and has trained dogs for Films and TV. Katie now runs http://www.centrestagedoggrooming.co.uk/home.html.

Freddies_mum

Post by Freddies_mum » 15 May 2009, 18:07

What an interesting thread. Freddie and Darcey are both on Royal Canin. I may try BARF one day but haven't felt brave enough yet...

Some questions for you -

If you are going to add Vit E and/or fish oils, what form do you give them in and how do you know how much? I think Freddie and Darcey would benefit - especially Darcey as she has quite dry skin - but she is so tiny (currently 1.6kg) I'd be worried about upsetting her system.

Also, Darcey really rushes her food so I like the ideas about feeding from a Kong or similar, but her kibble is in such small chunks surely it would just all fall out? Are there special Kongs for small dogs?

Thanks

Jo