In the vets with her ears

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Jeanny

In the vets with her ears

Post by Jeanny » 06 May 2009, 12:58

Since having my lovely little girl, her ears have been intermittently warm or the right one even gets hot. Took her to vets as soon as we had her at 12 weeks as caring breeder supplied her with bloody diahroa (spelling !) and sore ears. So was treated with meds etc. Have been to vets in recent past to have them checked again as they warm up in between cleaning, and after a good look, she decided it was just waxy muck. So been persevering with the epi otic.

But last couple of days cleaning them out with it didn't take it down at all so took her along to vets to make sure there wasn't anything nasty down there. He thinks just very hard wax adhering to her eardrum even. And this time suggested she has a general anaethetic, a really good clean, the stuff analysed for mites etc. All the hair removed - so we start off with really clean ears.

Such a shock, to leave her, but I'm sure its the right thing, she must be most uncomfortable. Oh I hate leaving them there.

Lets hope this is the end of ear probs.
Arianne, dirty, hot and scruffy - now a whole year old - with her pal Mollie.

mistyfox

Re: In the vets with her ears

Post by mistyfox » 06 May 2009, 17:23

Poor little mite. I'm sure the vet knows best and will sort her out. Let's hope she doesn't suffer any more after this. My pup also had filthy ears and earmites from the breeder at 12 weeks but after a good clean out at the vets and some ear drops he's fine. He does get a bit of wax now and again but nothing like when we first got him. He sends Arianne a big kiss and hopes she's feeling better soon.

Naillig

Post by Naillig » 06 May 2009, 18:53

Hope everything went well. Keep us posted.

nashav

Post by nashav » 06 May 2009, 20:48

Please let us know the result.

Paige has had the same problems with her ears, her left been worse. I was also told that she had a build up of waxy muck deep within the ear and an infection. So also used Canaural and still am.

On the last visit i was also told that the other thing they could do was out under a GA and clean out the ears.

I haven't put paige in for it yet, thought it was a bit extreme and maybe the vets just wanting some extra £££££ BUT i am now thinking that its for paiges benifit.

PLEASE PLEASE let me know the outcome.

Hope she feels better soon.
Image Image

amber

Post by amber » 06 May 2009, 21:05

Jeanny wrote:Since having my lovely little girl, her ears have been intermittently warm or the right one even gets hot. Took her to vets as soon as we had her at 12 weeks as caring breeder supplied her with bloody diahroa (spelling !) and sore ears. So was treated with meds etc. Have been to vets in recent past to have them checked again as they warm up in between cleaning, and after a good look, she decided it was just waxy muck. So been persevering with the epi otic.

But last couple of days cleaning them out with it didn't take it down at all so took her along to vets to make sure there wasn't anything nasty down there. He thinks just very hard wax adhering to her eardrum even. And this time suggested she has a general anaethetic, a really good clean, the stuff analysed for mites etc. All the hair removed - so we start off with really clean ears.

Such a shock, to leave her, but I'm sure its the right thing, she must be most uncomfortable. Oh I hate leaving them there.

Lets hope this is the end of ear probs.
Sometimes a flush is the only way forward. Ears can be a problem, and if it gets beyond a point of no return with deep down muck and wax, then drops and anything else used just adds to it.
In many cases the ears are infected, and have a type of fungus. With all that cleared out under aneasthetic she will feel so much better, and you will be able to get somewhere with all your efforts.
Well done for getting her in. It can be excruciatingly painful for them to have fungus. The vet is right to flush imo.
I would pluck her ears every week, just a few at a time, and use a cleaner once a week, although the vet may initially have different ideas for you and maybe offer an acid based cleaner which is repellant to fungus.

Jeanny

Post by Jeanny » 07 May 2009, 08:52

Thanks for all the kind thoughts and comments.

Very sorry for herself, and not forgiving me for having left her, theres that 'how could you' look in her eye.

Vet said ear canal very narrow and impacted and that could cause inflammation. Couldn't see any mites in the gunk.

She has ear drops, steroids for inflammation and I have to go back in a week when he will give me some ear cleaning stuff thats not so drying as the epi otic.

Also to ensure that no mites are present, dose her (in a week) with something called stronghold (a flea drop preparation) which kills everything but the dog.

Hate all this chemical stuff, but hopefully if we can get onto a level, clear eared playing field, the future will be much more comfortable for her.

She has not wanted to chew her chicken quarters this last day or so, and I wonder if even eating has been painful.

Bye
Jean

amber

Post by amber » 07 May 2009, 09:51

aww you'll both get through this. And you are doing the right thing. If left it can get so bad that it causes inner ear disease. You'll be able to start afresh soon. :D

Naillig

Post by Naillig » 09 May 2009, 08:48

Glad to hear that everything is going well and hope it continues to do so.

Gillian & Dougal

linny

Post by linny » 09 May 2009, 10:01

Hope Arianne, is feeling more comfortable today :?: ....I'm with you when it comes to using strong drugs, but really there isn't a lot of choice is there. Do hope that this does the trick for her.

Jeanny

Re: In the vets with her ears - update

Post by Jeanny » 14 May 2009, 11:31

Back to the vets for checkup and he was most pleased with the state of her ears, no wax and a lot less inflamed. Has given me some logic ear cleaner with which to clean her ears in one week followed in a fortnight by another cleaning. He is then optimistic that I only need monitor them, not clean them on a regular basis.

Have also put the stronghold on the back of her neck that'll kill any ear mites lurking.

She is so much happier, he said he removed a plug of wax that was like a caste of her ear canal.

Has put on .6 of a kilo this week as she is now able to chew her RMB again - feel so guilty as I thought she was just being a fussy eater when her ears must have been getting critically bunged up.

Do hope this is the end of grotty ears for her, she is so much livlier and very happy, busy destroying a cardboard box as I write.

regards
Jeanny

janettehamman

Post by janettehamman » 14 May 2009, 12:55

Hi Jeanny

Glad Arrianne is feeling better. My Holly also seemed to be having ear probs so I took her to the vets. He had a look down and said there was nothing there but that she has hairs going right down her ear canal and this may be causing it. I put the Canural in but she still seems to itch mainly her right one.

I don't know they are a worry these doodles, I have been in and out of the vets and after her last anaesthetic for a troublesome cough (they thought she may have something stuck in her throat) I am not rushing for more anaesthetics as she was very ill after it, I also sometimes wonder if there is a bit of the money making going on at some vets.
ImageImage

ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 14 May 2009, 13:20

Glad to hear the vet found the problem - poor girl must have been really uncomfortable! Just have to say - I love that photo of her with the tip of her tongue peeking out :lol: :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

amber

Post by amber » 14 May 2009, 13:23

Hi Jeanny
Thats good to hear that she is much better. Doodles need their ears plucking regularly, and i would definitely do this once a week and then clean. They are prone to this problem because of the shape to the ear canal, and all the hair making a breeding ground for bacterior.
I pluck the girls' ears a few at a time once a week, and then clean.
I also keep them clipped in the summer, ask the groomer to keep the ears tidy too.
good luck

Jeanny

Post by Jeanny » 14 May 2009, 14:29

Arianne always had one ear hotter than the other. I didn't think we had a wax problem, cos not much came out, but it was dry and stuck, so it couldn't.

I wonder how much I had contributed to the dry wax by using the ear cleaner, could be just too harsh and drying and actually stopping the natural progress of the wax out of the ear.

This was an interesting article on ears http://www.doctorhoffman.com/wax.htm.

My vet thought he saw a couple of white mites on the initial examination, and I suppose if you had anything crawling about it would be most irritating, perhaps causing more wax to be formed to try and clear out the invaders.

If your dog does have a hot ear/s it may be a good first move to use one of the flea preparations that also kills earmites, relatively cheap, good for this time of the year when fleas and ticks are about - even though I hate the idea of filling her full of chemicals.

Vet had cleaned the hairs out of her ears, though I had been pulling a few out every time I cleaned them, and he said to carry on.

He said that if no excessive wax is there, no need to put stuff down - so fingers crossed we are out of the woods and will play it by ear !!!!!!

Jeanny

amber

Post by amber » 14 May 2009, 14:48

Hope all goes well now Jeanny
Another thing to try is to keep air circulating, especially in the hot or humid months. trim ear flaps and use a number 10 clipper blade underneath, a good clip should keep her cooler too. Note to self, must get around to clipping Chloe. Raining again today :x