Doods and car-phobia

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Mamalyons

Doods and car-phobia

Post by Mamalyons » 25 May 2009, 17:27

Yet more advice required please. We have just come back from a lovely time at Roundhay Park in Leeds but Holly was sick in the car (again). She is absolutely terrified of being in the car and we don't know what to do.

I think it is because just after we got her at 8 weeks old my car gave up the ghost so we were without one for a few weeks (just using hire cars which do not allow dogs). So during her 'critical emotional development' phase she was not introduced to the car and only has bad memories of it - i.e. being taken away from her Mum. Now she whines and refuses to get in it so we have to lift her in. Then she drools more than I ever thought possible and 8 out of 10 times is also sick (even on 2 minute journeys).

Has anyone managed to get over the same problem? It is breaking my heart as she is so obviously scared out of her mind, poor thing.

Thanks,

Pippin

Re: Doods and car-phobia

Post by Pippin » 25 May 2009, 17:39

Bella (10 months) doesn't like the car, when we first got her she was sick every journey, now she can manage journeys up to 30/45 mins without being sick but she's never delighted at the prospect of going in the car and drools a fair bit before getting in (we can usually encourage her to jump in by herself now too which is a huge leap forward), I'm hoping she'll keep on improving and eventually like the car as much as Pippin does.
ImageImage

Puppies should be warm clean and well, walk away if they are not.

http://www.dashingdoodles.co.uk/

tashanlouie

Post by tashanlouie » 25 May 2009, 18:15

first thing is you need to get her used to liking the car.
get in the back seat or wherever you put her when travelling and give her one of her meals ( maybe add some thing exciting to it ) and maybe a toy to play with. Keep doing this for a while until she associates being in the car with good things.
After that before you set off give her a bit of a ginger biscuit just to settle her stomache ( dont feed her before you go either ) and put a blanket that shes used to or a toy in with her.
It might take a while but she will eventually get used to it.
My 2 hated cars but after I did the above with them, they both get really excited when we put them in the car :D :D

hope this helps ( and that you can understand it :lol: )
Tasha

Mamalyons

Post by Mamalyons » 25 May 2009, 18:42

Brilliant Idea! I will try it immediately. How often do you suggest doing this? Daily?

Thanks loads!

tashanlouie

Post by tashanlouie » 25 May 2009, 18:56

it would be good if you could do it daily, but if not maybe every other day.

hope it helps :D
Tasha

grainne

Post by grainne » 25 May 2009, 19:52

Lisa (louie's breeder) took Louie for car trips before he even came home, and now he loves the car! I took him out every single day and he got lots of treats for being in there. Now when I walk past cars with open doors- he tries to jump in :shock:

funny doodle

xxx

steph08

Post by steph08 » 25 May 2009, 20:50

Gus hated the car and was sick on every journey when he was small. I used to get in the car (drivers seat) and put Gus in the back (where he would be travelling on any journeys) and just sit in it for a few minutes, I gradually built up the time to about 10 mins, all the time I was talking to Gus and telling him what a good boy he was. Next, I sat in the car and tuned the engine on but didn't actually go anywhere, again building up the time. Eventually we went on very short journeys (around the block) maybe a couple of times a day again building it up to a longer journey.

Gus is fine in the car now although he still refuses to get into it...I have to lift him in, so I'm working on getting him to get in the back of 4x4 on his own, any suggestions greatfully received!!

Good luck with the car sickness...keep persevering it will get easier :D . xx

mistydog

Post by mistydog » 25 May 2009, 21:15

Freddie was the same and I even got a ramp because I couldn't lift him (he used it once!). My Daughter's rottie was even worse and drooled over everything. They are both fine now, 13 and 11 months old. Freddie gets a bit confused because he doesn't know if he is going for a walk or going to get in the car. The advice here is excellent and it always helps if they are going somewhere nice, the same thing goes for horses.

soapysue

Post by soapysue » 25 May 2009, 21:34

Goodness! I think I have just realised how lucky I am!

I didn't get Leffe until she was 2.5yrs old - they said she'd never been in a car before so we brought her home from the farm I got her from in our car - she was terrified but not sick. As we were due to drive to my parents (who are 5 hours away) only 10 days later we did take her out a few times for walks to places we'd drive to & touch wood on that 5 hour journey she was fine & seems to love car travel now - I often take her out in the car to somewhere nice to walk which may well help - but goodness! think I was really lucky there.

A friend of mine has a Spaniel that gets terrible car sickness & her dog trainer/advisor has suggested she try one of those strip things they use for kids that get car sick - am not sure where to get them or what they're called, but it's something to do with the static the car produces that casues the car sickness apparently & these little strip things are meant to somehow help?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Here - think I found the thing she was talking about on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-Anti-Static-S ... 7C294%3A50

Have no idea if they work - I recall my Mum getting something similar for me when I was a nipper as I used to hurl everytime I set foot in a car - but maybe worth a try. :?
Soapysue & Leffe

Image ImageImage

Hel&Mark

Post by Hel&Mark » 26 May 2009, 07:54

All this advice is excellent. How does Holly travel in the car? I ask because we used to have a Briard who was always sick if she was on the back seat of the car, but fine if she was crated. I think if they have a crate in the boot, they are somewhat confined and therefore feel a bit safer, especially if it has some familiar bedding in. We used to put Barley in the boot of the car in his with a bone and leave all the windows and boot door wide open. We would sit near him with a cuppa and then let him out again before very long. But we are lucky as he has never been sick or drooly in there. Tilly is slightly stressed by car travel, and barks a little bit at first. If you open the window on her side (she travels in the back in a smaller crate) so that she can feel a breeze, she stops barking and lies down.

They're all different, aren't they? Good luck, hope Holly improves once she's realised the car is a fun place to be. :D
Check this is being adhered to before you buy your puppy:
http://labradoodle.org.uk/forum/viewtop ... =17&t=6560
http://www.labradoodletrust.com

Clare

Post by Clare » 26 May 2009, 08:06

Pebbles didn't like the car either but I did what most people have suggested here. I tried to take her in the car for short journeys a few times a week and since they mostly ended in a walk she is not so resistant now, although she backs away when she realises we are going in the car. She travels in a crate and at home she sleeps in a crate so maybe that makes her feel safer, much easier to clean too if necessary ! Good luck.

Clare and Pebbles

Mamalyons

Post by Mamalyons » 26 May 2009, 11:57

Thanks everyone! I put her in the car for just a minute this morning with the door open. I offered treats but she wouldn't take them as she was so nervous :( . I reassured her then took her out for a nice walk. I'll just build it up slowly... keep your fingers crossed!

Thanks again!

grainne

Post by grainne » 26 May 2009, 13:38

I know it's hard but try to not let her pick up on your anxiety- be really positive. Sit in the car with her, turn the engine on, build it up and eventually she'll love it

xxx

Jo Millar

Post by Jo Millar » 26 May 2009, 14:40

Re car sickness, Tina was very car sick as a puppy and I was advised to put her in the passenger footwell to travel and it worked a treat , the logic being that when they can see out the think that they are stationary and the world, trees , buildings etc are rushing towards them , so panic and vertigo set in !! hidden away in the comfy nest of the footwell not seeing the trees tearing past is most comforting and they can see the driver . I had someone in the passenger seat the first few times to keep her at their feet and reassure her but after that she just hopped in and stayed put!! drawback is she is now one and still travels all curled up in same place very happy !!
Jo Millar

Jeanny

Post by Jeanny » 26 May 2009, 18:27

We had a doberman who was car sick, not particularly frightened and usually we had at least one other dog in the car, in their big boxes so comfy and secure.

What cured it?

A 300 mile motorway trip.

Nice straight road, not lots of stopping (in those days of long ago) or turning.

Bit drastic but it did the trick (we were going anyway, to just decide to visit Glasgow on a whim is a bit of an undertaking!!
Best of luck
Arianne, dirty, hot and scruffy - now a whole year old - with her pal Mollie.