Another question......? Sorry !

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
carly

Another question......? Sorry !

Post by carly » 04 Jul 2009, 19:30

Hi
We have spent today 'puppy proofing' the garden and generally getting ready for our new arrival but I have a couple of questions (not again I hear you all sigh :roll: :roll: :lol: )

So, we have taken a leaf out of the books of a couple of people on here and have made an area in the garden into 'pooh corner' :lol: :lol: :lol: but I'm not sure what stone is best to lay down, I'm a little worried about grael being ery sharp but wondered if slate would be better as it's flatter???

Also, I'm sure I read that coco shell can be poisonous but is OK if it's old :!: We have coco shell under my daughters play house but this will be it's 4th summer out there so will this be OK??

Thanks in advance for your help.....again :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Carly

Carly & Logan

amber

Re: Another question......? Sorry !

Post by amber » 04 Jul 2009, 19:36

Well i wouldnt risk cocoa shell at all, no matter what the age.
I would also always go for flagstone. It's safe and easy to clean.

LynneL

Post by LynneL » 04 Jul 2009, 20:27

Hi Carly, weve been puppy proofing our garden as well. OH and middle son have made a gate to the out of bounds area and we've been blocking up any possible means of escape. (although seeing how fast they are growing we may have over done it!)
We've got a possible pooh area and were also wondering what to lay. I was thinking bark but thought the local cats might also use it? It's the last thing we need to do out there. :D :D

CAROL SHAW

Post by CAROL SHAW » 04 Jul 2009, 22:26

we have used gravel for years easy to poo pick with a horse shavings fork we have never had a problem with the dogs eating any we shake disinfectant or jeyes fluid over about once a week and no smell.
DOODLE BREEDER FOR MANY YEARS HOPEING TO HAVE FOURTH GENERATION SOON.
STONECELLARS LABRADOODLES
Breeders of Standard English Labradoodles since 1999
DONT TRUST THE PUPPY FINDER

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 04 Jul 2009, 22:29

We've gravelled our "pooh area".

Wendy x

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Parker

Post by Parker » 04 Jul 2009, 23:29

We too made a gravel loo which he used for about 3 months. Now our entire garden is the loo and he goes nowhere near the gravel :roll: It is a shame cos I now have to check out all his favourite spots to poo pick.

What I couldn't believe when he first came home was that he would have a gnash on every plant on the way to his loo which was three feet from the door. His favourites were rosemary and mint and very good for puppy fresh breath :lol:
Jo and Parker x
Image Image

amber

Post by amber » 05 Jul 2009, 00:25

Some pups wont leave gravel and pebbles alone, if eaten an op would be needed so just be vigilant if used.
We just spray the flags, and its done.

LynneL

Post by LynneL » 05 Jul 2009, 10:15

I'm now thinking lets not bother with the effort of a pooh area!! We have a flagged area anyway and some jeyes so ready to go me thinks.
Another point - we had a patch of Lilly of The Valley - poisonous apparently to dogs and that was a real pain to get out as it had spread under other plants. Its gone now though. :D

amber

Post by amber » 05 Jul 2009, 13:01

You probably know this anyway, but if you use bleach or jeyes, rinse and dry the area before you allow the pup back out there again :D

Bid

Post by Bid » 05 Jul 2009, 14:12

Barney originally selected his own poo area - a certain part of the lawn alongside a hedge, and now they all go there. They pee all over though - the lawn is dreadful :roll:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

carly

Post by carly » 05 Jul 2009, 19:21

Well, update on the garden......

All cocoa shell removed (8 bin bags!) and replaced with play bark.

Also, realised that we had 8 paving stones left from the patio so will use them to floor most of the 'Pooh Corner' with a little gravel / bark around the egdes :)

Now of for a large G & T as my back is bl...y killing me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Carly & Logan

margaret5000

Post by margaret5000 » 05 Jul 2009, 20:18

Poor Carly, you and OH must be nackered doing all this puppy proofing , :roll: but will be so worth it when puppy comes.
You are all so lucky and I bet can't wait.
I was counting down days when we were getting Waldo, I chose him at 3 weeks and then could not wait.
No matter how much puppy proofinf and questings you ask ,within days or even hours he/she will head right for the one thing yoy did not think about :lol: :lol:
Waldo loved trying to eat my blooming :lol: flowers and is now working his way through all the garden chairs. :roll:
Margaret and WALDO