Too excited when the door bell rings!!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
ianj

Too excited when the door bell rings!!

Post by ianj » 21 Jul 2009, 21:46

Any ideas as to how to deal with massive amounts of excitement when anybody rings the door bell or he spots them out the window coming the drive, Cuillin,who has just turned 1, gets way too excited his feet scramble for traction on our wooden hall floor??
If we get any one call known to him or not, he just is desperate to get to jump up and mouth their hands!! he is a real handfull to hang on to.
He is showing no signs of calming down ,any ideas :!:

Wills Miller

Re: Too excited when the door bell rings!!

Post by Wills Miller » 21 Jul 2009, 22:50

None what so ever actually, William still does this and he is 2 years 4 months. And his worst habit, and it seems to be getting worse, he barks at the TV all the time, it used to be any animal, now it is everything especiallt all the malteser adverts.
Jill & William Miller
xx

Marion

Post by Marion » 22 Jul 2009, 00:19

Angus (18mnth) does that, so we stick a treat in the hand of the visitor as soon as we open the door slightly (only friends and family I might add!) and Angus takes the treat and tootles off quite happily. We get the visitor to let him see the treat and make him sit first, then they come right in and ignore him for a while. Worth a try.
He is still very hyper when someone comes that he doesn't know, but that is just a doodle isn't it........can't help but love 'em can you?!
Good luck
Marion & Angus x

Rhonk

Post by Rhonk » 22 Jul 2009, 00:23

Bonzo used to do this and barge past me to see who was at the door and greet them in his own special way. I taught him 'back' and didn't open the door until he was behind a closed door then let people in. He is then a bit calmer when he meets them. He now knows that when someone is there he needs to sit in the lounge. I also have a jar of treats in the lounge so he can say a quick hello then sit by me for a treat - and he gets told off if he jumps up.... He's now better at responding to a recall and sitting without a treat in the middle of an excited greeting and seems to have calmed. We're getting there, but still lots of work left!!

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » 22 Jul 2009, 07:51

We use two methods....
if someone comes to the door, i shout 'wait a minute!'
then i say 'OUT' to the dogs and they get behind the dog gate to the other room....then i can open the front door without the fear of them barging out (we live on a dangerous rd, so there safety is my main concern)
On my front door i have a sign that reads, 'if the gate isnt shut, i wont open the door!' (and ofcourse on the gate i have the 'please close the gate sign!)

as for the barking out the window, at ANYONE walking past (or cats cars.......) I used a corrective spray twice and that was all that was needed!
It works like this....BARK BARK (they say)
....'QUIET' (I SAY)
.....quick spray blast

I only had to do this a couple of times, now all i have to say is quiet....
All i can say is they work for me.....X
Goodluckx
ImageImageImage

Barneyboy

Post by Barneyboy » 22 Jul 2009, 07:51

So what would you rather he do?

Then teach him to do that.........

Bella

Post by Bella » 22 Jul 2009, 12:11

Although Mabel isn't usually excited to hear the doorbell ring she will bark once and want to see who is there. We have taught her the door doesn't open until she sits on the bottom step of the stairs. And she sits on it like a person! Legs akimbo. Anyway, we have a jar of liver treats by the door and when she sits on the stairs quietly she gets a treat. Our hallway is quite narrow (townhouse) so she can't sit in the hallway without blocking whoever is coming in.

Whoever comes in is told to ignore while she's on her step (most know by now) her so she has over time learnt someone coming to the door means absolutely nothing for her other than a treat if she's calm and quiet.

Over the last few months when the doorbell rings she goes straight for her step and looks at the treat jar.

It did take some work as it means you have to keep whoever is at the door waiting for the first few attempts but it's totally worth it. We also had a few false starts as she would sit on the step, I would open the door and then I would feel a snout poking through my legs wanting to see who is there. I then closed out the door (very rude :oops: ) , made her go sit and we kept going until she now has the idea.

Her knowing how to do this came in VERY handy when OH came in from work a few months ago and left the door wide open. Mabel was nowhere to be seen (she would usully be doing her "Mummy is home!" dash) so I went and found the door wide open and Mabel sitting on her step looking at the treat jar.

maryanne

Post by maryanne » 22 Jul 2009, 14:52

Izzie gets so excited she pees herself. She is six months old, so maybe this will improve, but meanwhile i call it happy pee, not to be confused with regular sort of unhappy (normal) pee! She barks when she hears the front door open and close of the apartment building, which is 40 odd meters away. There are different types of barks, pendent on how she feels about the people involved.

lorenza

Post by lorenza » 22 Jul 2009, 15:26

Well done Bella, what a good girl :D

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 22 Jul 2009, 21:47

Bella wrote: so I went and found the door wide open and Mabel sitting on her step looking at the treat jar.

Wow :shock: I am just so impressed. :P :P What a clever girl (and clever Mum to train her so well) :lol:
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Marion

Post by Marion » 22 Jul 2009, 23:39

Great training Bella. I can just visualise Mabel on the bottom step, bless her :)
Marion & Angus

DebNick

Post by DebNick » 23 Jul 2009, 00:30

Blossom (Cuillin's sister! :D ) also gets very excited when anybody comes to the house. What we do is to make her sit before the door is answered. When we open the door, if she then tries to jump up at the person (as she nearly always does), we once again make her sit before they're allowed to give her any attention.

This is working quite well and hopefully with a bit more perseverance she will eventually not jump up at people!

Blossom. Labradoodle. =)

Bella

Post by Bella » 23 Jul 2009, 09:42

MrsAdmin wrote:

Wow :shock: I am just so impressed. :P :P What a clever girl (and clever Mum to train her so well) :lol:

Thankfully she has never been a flighty dog. She sees no point in running out the door when it's open. She goes for 2 walks a day and walks from the car to the door herself with no trouble. I think the outside world holds no mystery now. When she was very little we let her walk with us to the car and back if we ever needed to go get anything out of it. Maybe she just knows now if the door is open we're always going to come back quickly. Who knows how a dog brain works.

Why would any doodle want to run away when their toys and Mummies are inside :lol:

She is a bit of a squealer though. OH was bringing the shopping in from the car a few weeks back, had the door open and Mabel sitting on the bottom step. Stanley (the cat) is allowed out the front door if he wants and when he walked out Mabel went beserk :lol: "He's getting away, stop him, he's going to break a hip". He was frogmarched back inside the house and given the once over by Mabel, just to make sure he hadn't injured himself in that 5 seconds he was outside on his own.

LynneL

Post by LynneL » 23 Jul 2009, 10:06

Oh what a lovely girl! That s a great story. :D