Travelling abroad

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
loulou

Travelling abroad

Post by loulou » 27 Jul 2009, 08:25

We are going to France next week for the first time with our doodle Rolo. I have a number of questions for you experienced doodle travellers.
Firstly, how have you found your dogs to behave whilst on the ferry and would you recommend anything to pacify them on a 2 hour crossing.
Secondly, any tips for such a long trip in the car, and lastly, we also have a 12 week old labradoodle, Tiggy, (I am breaking my heart leaving her) who is being looked after by my grown up children, but I am wondering if there is a possibility of separation anxiety as they have been getting on so well and will now be apart for 2 weeks.
Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
Image Rolo
Image Tiggy at 12 weeks

manxlabradoodle

Re: Travelling abroad

Post by manxlabradoodle » 27 Jul 2009, 08:57

I travel from the Isle of Man to UK by ferry, its a 3.5 hour crossing and the sea is generally quite rocky in the winter, Holly doodle just goes to sleep, its me that has the problems. I find I dont need anything for her at all. I had to leave her in the car once, and was really worried, the crew let me go to see her, they didnt even know she was there.... all curled up asleep!!! Please dont worry, they see it as another adventure.

As for separation, we went away for a month and left some used old clothing of ours in her bed. She was absolutely fine, although agian it was painful leaving her, she was delighted to see us when we came back though.

Have a good holiday!!
:wink:

Margaret

manxlabradoodle

Post by manxlabradoodle » 27 Jul 2009, 08:59

Sorry forgot, long car journeys, plenty of water and a few wee breaks in between!!

Jeanny

Post by Jeanny » 27 Jul 2009, 10:00

We did the Dover Calais thing last year, no problem with our whippet who just went to sleep in the car. Do you need a contact for the vets on your return, can give you one if you are travelling via calais.
Try and do some research as some are charging a lot more than others, us british dog travellers have provided a pot of gold.

Have a lovely holiday.
Arianne, dirty, hot and scruffy - now a whole year old - with her pal Mollie.

loulou

Post by loulou » 27 Jul 2009, 10:42

Thanks so much to you both, I'm feeling a lot better about it now. I have already booked an appointment with a vet in the Creuse but forgot to ask how much it would be. Can you give me a rough idea of how much I should be paying. Thanks
Image Rolo
Image Tiggy at 12 weeks

SueMikeC

Post by SueMikeC » 27 Jul 2009, 11:26

We have two doodles 21 months old. We took them to the S of France last year and we are planning to go again this year.

They were fine on the ferry (Dover/Calais), and on the drive. Going we did the journey in 2 hops and 3 on the way back. We gave them a new large bone each when we got on the ferry each way and on returning to the car at the end of each crossing the were no signs of distress. They have a water bowl (non spill - although it does slop a bit) so water is available for the whole journey.

The biggest prob can be the heat. Either you need a good air conditioning system in the car or plenty of open windows. And of course keep a watchful eye on Rolo.

I don't think the separation will be an issue - being only twelve weeks I wouldn't think they have been together long enough to be a problem. It will probably affect you more that Rolo and Tiggy :D .

We paid a total of 75 Euros for the vet 'check' for the 2 dogs which I thought was reasonable.

Hope you and Rolo have a great hol.

Mike

Jeanny

Post by Jeanny » 28 Jul 2009, 21:31

loulou wrote:Thanks so much to you both, I'm feeling a lot better about it now. I have already booked an appointment with a vet in the Creuse but forgot to ask how much it would be. Can you give me a rough idea of how much I should be paying. Thanks
I think it was about 30 Euros, do check though because some are charging double that. And we took our own wormer and flea/tick stuff.

Daisy(mini)Doodle

Post by Daisy(mini)Doodle » 29 Jul 2009, 17:53

We have just been to the South of France with Daisy took the euro tunnel this time but used the ferry in the past Daisy was no problem. paid 42 euro for the vet in France

We would recomend this web site if you have any concerns taking a doodle abroad. we have used them twice now for booking a vet, probably not necessary as you can book direct if you know a vet but if you need to change a booking etc theres someone at home that can sort it for you. On the whole worth their booking fee

http://www.dogsaway.co.uk

Chris & Pauline Daisy & Ziva
ImageImage