A quick reminder of how important ID tags are –

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Lab Mum

A quick reminder of how important ID tags are –

Post by Lab Mum » 07 Aug 2009, 21:25

Sorry another serious post - (happy ending!)

Last night I had a phone call at 9pm from a colleague – he had lost his Jack Russell in the woods. They are big woods, but surrounded by busy roads, M23, and a railway line. Tom and I shot out there, complete with my three boys, and searched in the pouring rain until gone midnight – no sign of Bertie. I put him on Dog Lost, and phoned everyone I could think of. Up this morning, printing signs. Owner spent the night in the wood in his car, worried sick.

This morning a kind man puts a note on the car to say he found the dog last night. Bertie had been safe and sound in a warm house all evening, whilst we were soaked to the skin and frantic.

Bertie is chipped, but at that time of night three is no one available to scan a chip. I know collars aren’t always suitable, if the dogs are working for instance, but in this case if Bertie had had a collar with tags like my boys have showing name, address and a multitude of phone numbers, he would have been reunited 12 hours earlier.

Do think about it if you haven't got one – tags really are worth their weight in gold if it is safe for your dog to wear one. (And they are a legal requirement in a public place too)

Thank God Bertie is safe though.

Katy

CAROL SHAW

Re: A quick reminder of how important ID tags are –

Post by CAROL SHAW » 07 Aug 2009, 22:42

Hi great news that Bertie is safe.
It may be useful for people to note the tel number and web site of Petlog where all microchips are registered
www.petlog.org.uk
A lot of people who are qualified to microchip also offer the Pet Lost service whereby they will travel to scan a dog or you can take a dog to them at any time to see if it is chipped or to report your dog lost this is a FREE service to anyone most individuals are a lot more helpful than some of the Societies and Charities.
But the collar tag is a Legal requirement where as Microchipping as yet is not.

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 08 Aug 2009, 07:31

Our cat went missing about 3 years ago, she was only 8 months old. It turned out that she had got into someone's car, they hadn't realised and had driven off. She is chipped, but we got her back about 10 days later because someone read her ID tag on her collar.

Wendy

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Naillig

Post by Naillig » 08 Aug 2009, 07:57

Isn't is a legal requirement for dogs to have a collar and ID tag?

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 08 Aug 2009, 09:09

"Dog Tags and the Law

The Control of Dogs Order 1992 states that any dog in a public place must wear a collar with the name and address (including postcode) of the owner engraved or written on it, or engraved on a tag. Your telephone number is optional (but we would recommend this).

You can be fined up to £5,000 if your dog does not wear an identification tag

You do not have to put your dogs name on the tag, this is optional. Unfortunately dog stealing does occur and if the thief knows the name of your dog this may help them pass on the dog to the unsuspecting new owners because it appears they know the dog because the dog responds to their name. We would therefore recommend, you do not put your dogs name on the tag.

An example of the information to put on a dog tag is:

Mr A Smith
No 54, BH17 7TD
01202 773581

Some people are of the opinion that if their dog is micro chipped, they do not require a dog tag with their contact details on it. This is incorrect, and you should always have a dog tag on your dogs collar no matter if they are micro chipped (which is highly recommended) or not. "

We put our surname and my mobile number (on the basis that if they were lost I would be out searching, not sat at home) and our address on both our dogs, plus the plastic tag supplied with their chipping so that hopefully the police or dog warden would scan them if found wandering.

I was impressed that a stray Yorkie I found was scanned immediately by a portable scanner the warden had in his car and didn't have to wait until taken to a vet or kennels. Sadly he had no chip or tag so was taken off to the strays kennel. The warden said that he would soon find a new home if no owner appeared so I hope he did.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

margaret5000

Post by margaret5000 » 08 Aug 2009, 09:59

So glad Bertie is back home safe.
I am with you on the ID tag,
I have unfortunatly put Waldo's name on all 5 of the new tags I have bought.I just loved seing his name on his little tag but I know it is safer not to have his name, I will probably not get it on the next one, I am a bit of a shopaholic. :roll:
Margaret and WALDO

Rhonk

Post by Rhonk » 08 Aug 2009, 10:51

Having a tag on my cat basically saved his life a few months ago when he was knocked over by a car as someone else stopped and phoned me. THe only change i have made is that i now have home and mobile numbers on the tags - cats and bonzo - in case something happens when i am not home, or to allow someone to stay at home and someone else to be searching. He is also chipped but this is a back up really.
Pleased to hear the dog was safely returned :D

jans

Post by jans » 08 Aug 2009, 12:20

mobile number is vital..... my neighbour spent 6 hours searching , not wanting to leave the country park and for 4 of those hours a message was waiting on her answering machine at home to say her dog was safe and sound.

Bella

Post by Bella » 08 Aug 2009, 13:10

We found a little black dog in the park last year. After OH hung around for a few hours and found no owner or anyone who knew him, she brought him home. He had no collar. OH and I spent all the next day worrying about having to take him to Battersea. We would have happily kept him until his owner was found but he was part terrier and was making our cats very stressed by chasing them. At 13 years old they have our one dog trained very well but terriers will be terriers.

OH and I made posters and put them up the next day. We called him Scruffy as he looked like a small scruffy doodle. Mabel loved having him around but at night he cried and cried and cried. We left him in the kitchen with Mabel who bless her little cottons was trying to get him to shut up by bringing him a dozen toys :lol: Poor Mabel was worn out the next morning.

The next day we got a call from a woman who said she thought our dog was the one she was looking after for her son. She lived on the other side of the park so when we described him she said she thought it might be him but as it was her sons dog she couldn't be sure. We were a bit sceptical that she couldn't tell us if he had any distinctive markings (he had a tiny white beard) but when we saw his reaction as soon as he saw her it removed all doubt. Turns out he cried at night because for 7 years he had slept on her adult sons bed and had never been alone at night before. He ran away after chasing squirrels. She was having her back fence replaced and the builder left the door open by accident.

If he had a collar with tag it would have saved us, Mabel and Scruffy (Beau) a sleepless night of worry. I hated the idea of putting the very obvious family pet into a shelter :(

I'm in 2 minds about putting a a dogs name on the tag. On one hand it would have been lovely to know his name so we could calll him something familiar. If Mabel was ever lost I'd like to know if someone had her she would at least recognise her name. She feels a whole lot happier when people use her name. On the other hand I agree about the dognappers etc. IIt's one of the reasons I try not to calll her name in the park.

caroline.sid

Post by caroline.sid » 08 Aug 2009, 13:22

I have just ordered the tag for Clyde at the pet shop this morning and on it have put our Surname, Postcode (without house no - if they get that far they will soon find us!) and home no.
Good point about the mobiles - but I am not one to always have it with me and also these numbers may well change over time. We'll just have to make sure to check land line in event of emergency - hopefully never!

At the suggestion of the Pet shop owner it also will have " I am chipped" on the reverse.
Can't wait to get his little medal for him!
He comes home tomorrow! Yay!!

mistydog

Post by mistydog » 08 Aug 2009, 15:32

Freddie is called 'chipped' on his tag. Although tags are great they can get lost. Only a few weeks ago Freddie went through a hedge and came out the other side without his collar, therefor no tag.
We wer telephone by the vet letting us know they had our GSP before we even knew she had got out! This was due to her being chipped.