INSURANCE INSURANCE INSURANCE

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Henrietta

INSURANCE INSURANCE INSURANCE

Post by Henrietta » 09 Aug 2009, 18:17

Hi Everyone
Just wanted to say IF YOU'RE NOT INSURED please stop what you're doing, go & get your purse & GET INSURED NOW. Also pay that tiny bit extra & get the highest amount you can. My dog Lotta had a barney with some barbed wire, she had to be knocked out & stitched up, the wound would not heal & she had to have a second op, I had let my insurance lapse and was £300 out of pocket!!!
In June she disappeared into some Bracken & came back in agony unable to put her front paw down - this time she has ruptured all the ligaments in her wrist, she had to be referred to Liverpool University Hospital (which is fab by the way!) and now has pins & a plate holding her joints together, the bill for this injury is coming up to £3000 yes £3000!! If I had got the lower insurance I would soon be looking at paying out of my own purse, as it is I can relax.
Labradoodles, well most dogs, are bouncy, active busy dogs, accidents can happen in the blink of any eye. It costs me £9 a month with Sainsburys and is worth every single penny.
IF YOU AREN'T INSURED DO IT NOW!!! :D
Best wishes to you & your dogs Henrietta
**smellthatfreshair**

iwantadog

Re: INSURANCE INSURANCE INSURANCE

Post by iwantadog » 09 Aug 2009, 18:20

Wow £9 a month is good. I've just taken out insurance with Pinnacle (not sure what they are called now, Helpu something! I know they've changed their name), I've got the lifetime insurance with up to £6000 vet fees a year and its £16.32 a month. What do you get for your £9, as I still have some time left on the "cooling off" period?

Thank you.

Wendy

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Henrietta

Post by Henrietta » 09 Aug 2009, 18:21

Up to £7,500 and 3 months free next year!
**smellthatfreshair**

carly

Post by carly » 09 Aug 2009, 18:35

I may be wrong but I don't think Sainsbury offer life cover. Just per condition for 12 months cover. :?

Carly & Logan

Dexter_Mir

Post by Dexter_Mir » 09 Aug 2009, 18:45

I hope Lotta is on the road to recovery and what a relif you were insured!!!

I could not agree more about inurance and this should be a cost factor before even considering a dog. Archie injured his eye some 3 months ago now and had an eye graft final treatment end of Aug. but to date this has cost over £2000 and like you thank god for insurance !!!!

Henrietta

Post by Henrietta » 09 Aug 2009, 19:20

With Sainsburys over 9 years you have to pay the first £200 or 15% of costs.
Not sure of the diff with Life cover, will look again when she's older maybe??
There are so many companies out there, so far Sainsburys have been very quick and helpful
to pay any invoices...
Thanks Henrietta
**smellthatfreshair**

julies0708

Post by julies0708 » 09 Aug 2009, 19:32

if you aren't insured and decide to take it out please remember to READ THE SMALL PRINT

if you have been to a Vets with anything other than routine injections you may not be covered as they will try to worm out with the pre-existing condition clause - we have complained to the ombudsman about our treatment by MoreTh>n in the hope we can recoup the £6000 we have paid out for Brodie's liver operation

Doods just wanna have fun

Image Image

Henrietta

Post by Henrietta » 09 Aug 2009, 21:16

OUCH!
This was caused by an accident, so ongoing treatment is obviously nec'...
Hope you win your battle
Kind regards H
**smellthatfreshair**

MalcolmW

Post by MalcolmW » 10 Aug 2009, 19:53

I lost one of my Mini Schnauzers earlier this year after a month's illness and it cost just under £1000. She was not insured - but the money which I used to pay towards insurance is put into a seperate account. I also keep a credit card just for dog emergencies.

I had bad experiences with my insurance - the first time Daisy was taken ill, the bill was only a few pounds more than the excess so I did not claim. A few months later she had a similar complaint which cost £150, but when I put my claim in they refused to pay out because of the earlier incident. When my policy was renewed they had the cheek to increase the excess to £100 :evil:

I decided to cancel the policy and save for future bills. For third party liability, I am covered not only by my union membership but also on my house insurance (I did not know this until I was involved in an accident).
Malcolm

owned by the Labradoodles Lottie and Ruby
and Teigan & Leo the Mini Schnauzers

Jeanny

Post by Jeanny » 11 Aug 2009, 08:10

I was with you in the past Matthew, when vets bills weren't quite so horrific. I'm sure the fact that people have insurance and can now pay big bills has hiked the costs.

But we are now retired and after a very expensive end to my whippet with pancreatitis and lymphoma I decided to bite the bullet and insure this time.

Came unstuck as she had been to the vet, as soon as we had her, with very sore ears, so when they needed cleaning out with a general anaesthetic months down the line, they refused to pay.

But I fear the awful accident that needs very expensive treatment so will carry on. We are with the Caravan Club for about £9 per month, and with lifetime cover. (We may go abroad with the caravan in the future and their cover for this wasn't an added extra, as were many I looked at)

Briefly
* Vets Fees: £7000
* Advertising Costs (if your pet is lost): £1000
* Treatment Abroad: £2500
* Maximum number of trips per year: Unlimited
* Maximum days per trip: 60
* Holiday Cancellation: £3000
* Quarantine Costs: £2000
* Emergency Boarding Fees: £1000
* Emergency Expenses Abroad: £500
* Loss of Health Certificate: £250
* Damage to Kennel: £100

caroline.sid

Post by caroline.sid » 12 Aug 2009, 00:13

Hi - Can I ask - what's lifetime cover??
Cheers

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 12 Aug 2009, 09:05

My understanding of lifetime cover is that the policy doesn't just cover each ailment once, for example if you dog were to get diabetes the insurance company would pay for any medication needed for the life of the dog, rather than just a year.

Hope you know what I'm trying to say! In my opinion lifetime cover is imperative.

Wendy x

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Jeanny

Post by Jeanny » 12 Aug 2009, 09:20

[quote="iwantadog"]My understanding of lifetime cover is that the policy doesn't just cover each ailment once, for example if you dog were to get diabetes the insurance company would pay for any medication needed for the life of the dog, rather than just a year.

Think it means they will continue to insure your dog, so long as you stay with them, when it gets old. However the premiums may get hiked, my daughters staffy reached 8 and it went up to 22 a month!

taffyjack

Post by taffyjack » 12 Aug 2009, 21:27

Am paying £26 a month for Paddy and Olga.
Insured Paddy, (now 10) when he was 8 wks with Tesco and he's only been to the vet once in his life. :D
Didn't think too much about insurance as we've never needed to claim, and didn't take much notice of the premiums increasing as he got older, so when Olga arrived I just covered her with them too.
Cover is for 12 months or up to £2500.
Now Olga has this ongoing problem with sickness, have claimed £200ish so far. She has to have a barium study at the vet's next week, where they'll feed her barium and then x ray her stomach every hour or so through the day.
If no result from that the vet will consider referring her to the hospital in Bristol. I'm beginning to worry that the cover won't be sufficient, so would advise anyone to look at the amount of cover they get as we never know what's going to happen......
Just keeping fingers crossed that we get some result next week :?:

Sue x
ImageImage]

PeelJ

Post by PeelJ » 13 Aug 2009, 10:44

Hi,
We have just had this with Fozz who got a grass seed embedded under his elbow. he has had quite a large op this week as it travelled into the tissue- £1200 so far! We are with PetPlanand pay their top whack but are covered for everything known to man! Also we were able to put the claim in directly through the vet rather than pay and claim back. thank god we had it and beware those darn grass seeds!! :lol:
J