negative critisism

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Saramel

Re: negative critisism

Post by Saramel » 14 Aug 2009, 19:26

Anybody who owns a Doodle will probably have the "Designer Dog" insult leveled at them at one time or another but I find the best thing is to turn the other cheek. You can argue until you are blue in the face but unless you are arguing with someone who is prepared to listen and change their mind (or agree to differ) you are wasting your time. Most reasonable, well bred people wouldn't make such sweeping statements so ignore them and pat yourself on the back for having the best dog in the world!

misskatie

Post by misskatie » 14 Aug 2009, 20:44

I'm lucky, I've never had anyone say anything negative about Lucy - everyone seems to love her. I think if they did, I would struggle not to hit them - she is like a child to me. Why are people so rude? Lucy has the most amazing character - she makes us laugh all the time. She is beautiful, wonderful with the children, affectionate, makes me so happy, means everything to me,... I could go on forever. She is everything I could ever want in a dog. There are breeds of dogs that I wouldn't consider, but in a million years, I would never say anything to someone who had one. It's personal choice, and they are members of your family. It is unbelievable that people feel they can question your choice of dog :evil: .
Lucy

roxie20

Post by roxie20 » 14 Aug 2009, 21:06

I agree with what everyone has said about the ignorance of other people, maybe we need to have a short, smart answer to give back to these idiots when faced with their critiscm (sp)................so has anyone got any good one liners?

Dexter_Mir

Post by Dexter_Mir » 14 Aug 2009, 21:09

well its very short and may not be appropriate but :!:

Piss Off comes to mind :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry could not resisit that :D

amber

Post by amber » 14 Aug 2009, 21:43

Dexter_Mir wrote:well its very short and may not be appropriate but :!:

I expect mine would come close, but perhaps not quite so polite :wink:

Dexter_Mir

Post by Dexter_Mir » 14 Aug 2009, 21:46

amber wrote:
Dexter_Mir wrote:well its very short and may not be appropriate but :!:

I expect mine would come close, but perhaps not quite so polite :wink:

:lol: :lol: I have no problem with that but I know there are delicate ears so didnt want to be quite so explicit; on here anyway :lol: :lol:

lizzie tb

Post by lizzie tb » 15 Aug 2009, 14:43

It's so odd that there's always someone who has to say nasty things. When I'm out walking my two, I see lots of dogs that I wouldn't personally have but I wouldn't dream of saying anything. It's called freedom of choice!
No-one has said anything untoward about my two to me, as yet, although if they did I might say something a bit along the lines of some comments on here.
I always tell people they are labradoodles too.

caroline.sid

Post by caroline.sid » 16 Aug 2009, 11:49

I was really surprised when I spoke to the woman who ran the puppy school. We had a nice chat and then she asked me Clyde's breed.....Labradoodle...... Ooh they are becoming very popular (no reaction )....they are very fashionable dog......I didn't choose him for that reason (calmly)...... you are at the "cutting edge" to which I told her that I didn't wear Prada shoes or bags and reiterated that I chose him for the lovely qualities they had for a family pet.
I wish I had said that since my (whatever the previously fashionable breed was!) was no longer "in" - I had to rehome it it for the next De rIgeur breed.
I was really surprised that someone who was ringing me following my message for her - showing interest in her business, could be so rude. Thing is, I think that they think they are being funny - not rude.

Anyway - thought I would pass on her puppy classes - but may have to go as not much else around - I would love her to see what a mellow well behaved pup Clyde is.

I think that I will be going down the "lab x" route in future!

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 16 Aug 2009, 13:35

Maybe we're just lucky living in Doggy Heaven.

Everyone round here just loves Jack and Becky and they're known as the Brixham Doodles. :P

Well, apart from the greyhound lady who has to keep telling Jack off for having a go at her greyhound whenever they meet :oops: God knows why he does it. He just does not like him :cry:
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Bella

Post by Bella » 17 Aug 2009, 00:16

Our vet says he has about 20 labradoodles as patients. He has said only 1 is as mad as a box of badgers and believes there's no such thing as designer dogs, just well bred and poorly bred, regardless of papers.

Our first groomer, himself a doubter of doodles, actually got one after dealing with them and seeing what wonderful dogs they are.

We get so many positive comments about Mabel when out and about; how well trained she is, how obedient she is, how well she plays with other dogs and of course how gorgeous she is too look at.

When I rang our new groomers last week for another appointment for yesterday to have her clipped the woman on the phone, when she heard her name and our surname, said "ooh is that the labradoodle, we were wondering when she was coming back. Is that the little white (she's only white for about 20 minutes after her bath) sweetie. We had so many people ask us about her when she was here last. Such a good girl". We then went on to have a little chat and she said she has has seen a huge increase in the number of Pugs and Pug crosses being brought in for grooming yet they don't get the bad rap doodles do.

I couldn't agree with Lizzie more. I see so many dogs out there that I would never in a million years own but would never dare say anything to the owners even if they had said something about Mabel's "designer" label.

Treacletoffee

Post by Treacletoffee » 17 Aug 2009, 01:19

Hello all;
I say who cares!! I own the dog I own because I choose to buy the breed, good, bad ,indifferent, I do not care this is the dog for me., My choice I will not try and convince others this is the dog for them that is a decision they have to make , I only know for me it was the right decision.
So live and let live.... pick a dog/ puppy that suits you and enjoy. Who cares what anyone else thinks, any negative comments ignore.

Go to bed this evening in the knowledge that come the morning you are going to be greeted by the most affectionate sloppy loving companion one could hope for.

When life is bad... a doodle makes it seems a little better, belive me I am going throught a bit of s-- t at the moment and my doods make it easier.
Doodling good in Cornwall
I shudder to think of a world without doods !!

taffyjack

Post by taffyjack » 17 Aug 2009, 16:00

We went to the annual raft race at Mumbles, Swansea yesterday.
Took baby granddaughter in the pram and Olga.
Thousands of people there, we were stopped so many times by people who wanted to say hello to the beautiful girl.
Not the baby though, it was Olga who had all the attention :D
"Is it a labradoodle?"
"What kind of dog is it?"
"oh my god, she's gorgeous!"
Madam Olga loved the attention, poor gorgeous baby Phoebe totally ignored :(

Sue x
ImageImage]

linny2

Post by linny2 » 17 Aug 2009, 23:05

It's breedism pure and simple, and it's wrong. There is no justification at all for this type of unwarranted discrimination, and it's up to all of us to stand up for our doodles!
Best wishes,
Linny, Buffy & Spike
Sign the pledge to stop puppy mills at http://action.humanesociety.org/site/Su ... EY_ID=1840

Bubbarooandemmatoo

Post by Bubbarooandemmatoo » 18 Aug 2009, 09:12

linny2 wrote:It's breedism pure and simple, and it's wrong. There is no justification at all for this type of unwarranted discrimination, and it's up to all of us to stand up for our doodles!
Breedism! lol, Ilove that term, well you know I dont love the odd folk who are Breedist, but the terms so funny. :lol:

Rodney

Post by Rodney » 18 Aug 2009, 11:03

"Breedist" seems perfect! :lol:

The "designer dog" comment can always be countered with "dog of good design".
The "fashionable" comments can always be countered with something along the lines of "healthy intelligent dogs should be popular".
Comments about "mongrels" can be countered with "at least my dogs parents aren't brother and sister".
Cost issues combatted with the savings on vet bills and insurance due to the reduced risk of genetic disorders.

I have a vet friend that once told me that in 90% of show dogs, you only need to go back 5 generations - which is about 10 years - to find inbreeding. Just bear that in mind when someone approaches with negative critisism.

Dogs are pets, not accessories, and it would surely only make sense to choose the healthiest, happiest, and well-tempered dog you can. You only need to go back 15 years to see that if any dogs are "designer", its the pure breeds!

I think my pre-prepared response over the next 14 years or so will be along the lines of "at least my dog is less likely to get hip dysplacia and go blind!".

I may have to cut that down a bit for the sake of response time, but hopefully it will be effective enough!