Pet insurance

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
mishamills

Pet insurance

Post by mishamills » 21 Jan 2007, 18:49

Advice please on whether this is advisable and if so, your good experiences with reputable insurers. Have heard very mixed opinions- some folk say they never pay out time and there are so many exclusions in the policies that it's not worth it!

Henrietta

Re: Pet insurance

Post by Henrietta » 21 Jan 2007, 21:05

Just going down that path, definately worth it , just one trip to the vet could easily cost more than a years insurance. I have heard that Marks & Sparks are extremely good, a friend of mine has had an easy claim with them too.
Good luck Henrietta
mishamills wrote:Advice please on whether this is advisable and if so, your good experiences with reputable insurers. Have heard very mixed opinions- some folk say they never pay out time and there are so many exclusions in the policies that it's not worth it!
**smellthatfreshair**

c potts

pet insurance

Post by c potts » 21 Jan 2007, 21:21

we're with m&s, and have with nil excess clause, we pay a little more, but have this advantage. we're just about to put a claim in as we were at the vets last monday. the only thing with m&s is that you have topay up front, this is problem with most insurers we think. the vet did recommend another company who would pay direct to vets , not sure who this was ? pet plan or something similar :?
clare

GUNNER

Re: pet insurance

Post by GUNNER » 21 Jan 2007, 21:38

Our vets, moneymakers :twisted: insist you pay them and claim it back from the insurance company, which is fine if you have £1700 hanging around as we were expected to find just before xmas for our cat, i told them they were being ridiculous to expect people to settle for that, so they waited and it was all paid in full this week and as i gave them permission to deal with insurance company direct they were happy to wait.

debhunt

Post by debhunt » 22 Jan 2007, 10:07

We spoke to our vet on Saturday and he recommended that we stick with Pet Plan (Bailey had 6 weeks free insurance from the breeder). He said that they are fast to settle and offer whole life policies which means that that will pay out for more than one occurrence of the same problem (apparently some of the cheaper policies do not do this).

KJ

Post by KJ » 22 Jan 2007, 11:57

We are with m&s. Lifetime policy and nil excess, although I wasn't offered the nil excess, I had to ask. The cover is very similar to petplan, only difference being the amounts covered are greater with m&s. There is also £750 per year cover for damage to own home, such as eating the coffee table!! - although I haven't had to claim from them, I have found m&s to be fantastic with other types of insurance.
KJ

claire fifi

Post by claire fifi » 22 Jan 2007, 12:11

Definately worth getting a quote from MoreThan.

They cover up to £7000 per illness and provide "lifetime" cover for that illness up to the limit i.e. don't stop shelling out after 12 months. Also, they don't have an age limit for the pet. Some won't cover you after your dog reaches 8 years.

Their excess is £75 but as the quote is very reasonable for me (£11 per month) thats who I am planning to go with. They do have a 1 month period of no illness cover at the very start of the policy, but I am planning to run it alongside the 6 weeks given free by the breeder.

Hope this helps.
Claire and Muppet Image
------------------------------------------

http://www.labradoodle-rescue.com

bek

Post by bek » 22 Jan 2007, 12:28

i was on pet plan up untill saturday and was paying £88 a month for 3 dogs and my excess was £95.
i have changed eris and freya to direct line and it only costs £30 a month for both dogs with a £65 excess.
unfortunatly i have had to keep zeus on pet plan as i have claimed as zeus has allergies so if i change it will not be covered.
firesrye german shepherds

gilly39

Post by gilly39 » 22 Jan 2007, 13:48

We are with PetPlan until mid Feb from the breeder... Can I ask a stupid question about insurance... At what point does insurance kick in? I mean like say Charlie had to go to the vets with a poorly tummy, it wouldn't pay for that would it.. Is it only ongoing illnesses?

claire fifi

Post by claire fifi » 22 Jan 2007, 14:54

I think it will pay out for any vets bill, but excluding the excess - most simple things will be within that amount !
Claire and Muppet Image
------------------------------------------

http://www.labradoodle-rescue.com

KJ

Post by KJ » 22 Jan 2007, 15:48

I pay £11 something (!) per month, nil excess, 2 week 'starter' period, ie dog would be covered in the event of an accident but not covered for an illness for the first 2 weeks after starting the insurance. The extra premium for having a nil excess was peanuts! Like loads of others on here, I would DEF. plump for a policy with a lifetime cover. Interestingly, the lady I spoke to at m&s said that labradoodles are classed as a crossbreed at the moment, however they are looking at changing their way of classification and that they are soon to be 'priced' as pedigrees - ie more expensive. I don't know how true or realistic this is, but she was very helpful and they sent a policy out for me to read same day.
KJ

debs43

Post by debs43 » 22 Jan 2007, 16:27

We have sadly just lost our springer spaniel to pancreatitis, she was only ill for a week, we were insured with tsb pet plan and had a 3000 limit our vet bill was just under 4000, so make sure you have a very large limit as we have always had insurance but are still left with a 1000 pound bill

mishamills

pet insurance

Post by mishamills » 22 Jan 2007, 21:42

Thanks again everyone - had a look at the Marks and Spencers policy - it looks pretty good - I never would have thought of them. What a great font of info this site provides! Only 7 days till Scowrie comes home....xx

cades1066

Post by cades1066 » 25 Jan 2007, 11:03

hello

i am with pet plan and they are brillant always pay out and pay the vet direct which is great alot of other companys are great untill you claim and then they dont want to pay or will put your preium up once you have claimed pet plan have been going for a long time and are very good at what they do always read the small print as certain insurance dont pay as much or only pay out for one condition a year.

i have 7 dogs 3 cats and they are all insured and when i last went to the vet it cost me £ 350.00 for my cat and the excess was £60.00 and is the same for my dogs but thats nothing compared with my friend who was with someother company which would only pay half the bill and she had to pay £100 excess and her end bill was £ 2000 had she been with pet plan it would have all been paid as the vet has told her now as they do all the paper work too at our vets great.
pet plan are best.