Pet Insurance

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
LynneL

Re: Pet Insurance

Post by LynneL » 08 Sep 2009, 20:35

We are in East Kent and insurance is even more expensive. Glad Lulu isn't titled :lol: :lol:

carly

Post by carly » 08 Sep 2009, 20:50

We live in West Sussex and yes I did drop the Lord :lol: :lol: I too did Poodle cross, still more expensive than you guys....... :( :( :(

Carly & Logan

shirlei

Post by shirlei » 08 Sep 2009, 21:31

We've gone with M&S as well. I did some fairly extensive research and believe that M&S offered the best deal in the end. It was between M&S and Help u Cover in the end but I think M&S 3rd party liability was better and they were £2.50 cheaper in the end per month (every little penny helps!). The only downfall I could see with M&S was that when your dog gets to 8 or 9 years old (can't remember which) you have to pay the excess as well as a percentage of the overall vet fees as well.......Its a mine field and it took me ages to choose........

Rodney

Post by Rodney » 08 Sep 2009, 21:48

Hey, I just wanted to add a bit of what I have learnt about pet insurance through working at a veterinary hospital. The insurance companies are extremely clever at the wording of their policies, and what they don't tell you a lot of the time is that the maximum amount which they say is 'per year' does not count if the illness or injury extends over two years. So for example, if the animal develops diabetes, they will happily pay for the first year, but then after that you are completely on your own. A lot of them claim to be 'Cover for life' but when you read the fine print and actually interrogate them about it, you discover that they don't mean that at all, they mean that they will pay a certain amount out per year, providing you are not claiming for a continuous illness or condition, which lets face it is the worst situation to be in.

Added to this, insurance companies clearly tell their phone operators to give out as little information as possible. My Mum was recently speaking to Tesco regarding our cairn terriers insurance, and under my advice I asked her to question their cover for life policy, which she did, only to be lied to as all the woman would say is, 'it's 7k per year' what she wouldn't say was, unless the illness is ongoing, and then after a year you are on your own, which I learned from the vets is actually what Tescos do. Which is very sneaky and unfair. To my knowledge, and that of the hospital which I worked at, Petplan and one other insurance company (of which I cannot remember the name) are the only ones who honour their 'cover for life' claim. They are slightly more expensive I think, (Rodney is just under £18 per month) but if he gets diabetes or an ongoing heart condition or anything, I know that he will be covered.

I may be wrong, and please do not quote me on this information, but I just wanted to pass on what I have been told by vets who I worked with. I hope I am wrong because I would like to think that insurance companies are not quite as sneaky and horrible as I am led to believe!

caroline.sid

Post by caroline.sid » 08 Sep 2009, 23:53

Hi we went with M&S too - in the end - and it was just over £19pm !!!???
I had read on here that Poodle crosses were cheaper to insure but they only gave the option of a lab cross.
One of the T&C's that I read (possibly Tescos) also said that vacinations had to be up to date (only skimmed this so could have misunderstood) for cover to be valid. I wonder if they would try to duck out fo paying for say - injuries from a road accident -if vacs slightly late. Clearly not related to care needed but still you would have breached the T&C's if vacs had lapsed slightly.
Something to double check if ever I think of increased intervals between jabs!

Mica1971

Post by Mica1971 » 09 Sep 2009, 05:41

doodledeb wrote:Just one point Mica!! How old will marley be when you bring him home??? Just thinking you can't claim for the 1st two weeks so god forbid anything went wrong you couldn't claim. Was just wondering if you could start it as soon as he was 8 weeks even if still with the breeder!! :D
Hiya - he will be eight weeks when he comes home, it starts on that day. 8 weeks is the earliest they start it.

'An idle mind is the devil's workshop.'
And the devil's name is Alzheimer's!

LynneL

Post by LynneL » 09 Sep 2009, 07:04

caroline.sid wrote:Hi we went with M&S too - in the end - and it was just over £19pm !!!???
I had read on here that Poodle crosses were cheaper to insure but they only gave the option of a lab cross.
One of the T&C's that I read (possibly Tescos) also said that vacinations had to be up to date (only skimmed this so could have misunderstood) for cover to be valid. I wonder if they would try to duck out fo paying for say - injuries from a road accident -if vacs slightly late. Clearly not related to care needed but still you would have breached the T&C's if vacs had lapsed slightly.
Something to double check if ever I think of increased intervals between jabs!
I was told by one insurer that Kent is one of the most expensive areas to insure in!

julies0708

Post by julies0708 » 09 Sep 2009, 20:28

from my experience with pet insurance I would warn anyone with free pet insurance not to swap to another insurance company if you take your pet to the vets for anything whilst covered by the free insurance.

We did this with Brodie who at the time was diagnosed with colic but 2 months down the line it was discovered that he had a portosystemic shunt and the insurance company we changed to at the end of the 8 week free insurance refused to pay out stating that the colic was a clinical sign of the shunt and therefore a pre-existing condition.

We have paid £6000+ to date but at least Brodie's operation was successful and his liver is now functioning normally and has not been damaged due to the shunt

The company we changed to who has refused our claim is MORE TH> N - I would not recommend them for obvious reasons

Doods just wanna have fun

Image Image

caroline.sid

Post by caroline.sid » 09 Sep 2009, 21:16

Yes it would seem we are hit with a big premium. Get this, we are in the LONDON borough of Bromley, in the county of KENT!! - so I think we must have a double whammy! So although we are a Kent postal district we are in a London borough!