How big is your doodle?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
janettehamman

How big is your doodle?

Post by janettehamman » 15 Sep 2009, 22:35

Hi Just trying to gauge how big doodles can grow. We are trying to choose from a litter and it really is difficult to tell at say 4 weeks how big they will be. Our breeder says the boys could be big and they have some smaller bitches. They are F1s crossed with a standard poodle.

Thanks
ImageImage

ImageImage

peelm

Re: How big is your doodle?

Post by peelm » 15 Sep 2009, 22:50

I'd go by the size of the elbow joint rather than the paws.

Foz is a big lad. He's about 28 inches to his shoulder and weighs in at around 43kg.
Dylan is around 26 inches, but isn't anywhere near Fozzies' build. He must be around 26kg. He's a bit underweight, but he's filling out nicely now.

M.
Michael, Janet, Fozzie and Dylan

For all your pet portraits, visit :- http://www.theloudhouse.co.uk

KateW

Post by KateW » 15 Sep 2009, 23:02

The largest doodle I know is around 30 inches to the shoulder and 45kg..........

How large are the parents of the litter? And grandparents? If size is important for management of an adult dog it might be best to look at miniature/medium size doodles although even then there can be surprises :) Rufus is a large miniature( 20 inches) and his breeder estimated his size very accurately but I know of two other people who acquired miniatures at around the same time as us and their dogs are 24 and 26 inches tall (but very much loved :D )

Katherine
ImageImage

Colette

Post by Colette » 16 Sep 2009, 10:10

Dylan is 41/2 stone 25ins tall (middle back)add another 7ins (top of his head ). He is an F1.

Cherryblossom

Post by Cherryblossom » 16 Sep 2009, 13:55

Its a bit of a lottery where size is concerned tbh. Murrays parents were 18" and 21", but he has kept growing and is now roughly 27" - bloomin enormous! We love him to bits and wouldn't change him, but if size IS an issue, then I'd say go for a miniature where you can be sure the pup won't grow into a labradonkey. :)

Edited to say - just reread your post :roll: sorry not sure how to choose from a litter. :oops: Murray was the biggest in his litter, but his sister who was half his weight when we bought them home, is now just as big as Murray, although a different build. Go for temperament rather than size.

Bid

Post by Bid » 16 Sep 2009, 14:07

I would say it's impossible to tell at 4 weeks. I only have very limited experience, but Poppy is full grown and is a tiny "standard". Her Mum is a medium standard size doodle, her Dad was a very tall poodle. Her sister Peggy takes after her Dad on the size front. When we first went to see Poppy she was one of the medium puppies, but by the time we brought her home at 8 weeks she was far and away the smallest, and has remained little
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

LynneL

Post by LynneL » 16 Sep 2009, 15:09

I don't know if there is an average for this but When do they usually stop growing?

Thanx

Bid

Post by Bid » 16 Sep 2009, 17:04

As late as possible! :D

I think it depends a lot of their diet. Daisy reached her full height at 6 months which was was too early imo. I would think a year would be about right :?
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

KateW

Post by KateW » 16 Sep 2009, 17:10

LynneL wrote:I don't know if there is an average for this but When do they usually stop growing?

Thanx
At about a year they have usually reached their adult height and then they fill out :) Smaller dogs reach maturity earlier than large ones and as Bid says diet does play a part........

They are usually fully grown at 18 months although I know of one or two who have carried on for a bit after this age.

Katherine
ImageImage

roxyroo

Post by roxyroo » 16 Sep 2009, 19:26

Our "miniature" is 4 months and already 17.5 inches so think she may end the the size of what katew was talking about!!! :shock: :o

janettehamman

Post by janettehamman » 16 Sep 2009, 19:27

Colette wrote:Dylan is 41/2 stone 25ins tall (middle back)add another 7ins (top of his head ). He is an F1.
Yes Holly is about the same size as Dylan and so we wanted a similar doodle but we did want a dog rather than a bitch this time but I suppose are not bothered. It is just when you read about some of these super doodles :lol: ie 45kg I know that are lovely and the temperament is the main thing but I think it would be too much of a handful. Also does anyone know of any websites for minature ones then as I am struggling with this.

Thanks
ImageImage

ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 17 Sep 2009, 19:11

Daisy is 23" and weight 27kg - sort of medium for a standard I think, Poppy is only 2 " shorter, but weighs a teeny tiny 17kg. Pops is a nice size if labradonkeys aren't your thing :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

carly

Post by carly » 17 Sep 2009, 21:44

Bid wrote:As late as possible! :D

I think it depends a lot of their diet. Daisy reached her full height at 6 months which was was too early imo. I would think a year would be about right :?
Sorry Bid, what do you mean about diet playing a part in it???? What should we be doing / not be doing ?

Carly & Logan

Colette

Post by Colette » 18 Sep 2009, 08:43

When Dylan was a puppy he had the biggest paw's we had ever seen. He would trip over them they where like a gaint adult fist attached to very long skinny legs. He did grow into his paws. I know he is not the largest Doodle but he is very strong and can bounce up to 7/8 ft :lol: :lol:

Tili

Post by Tili » 18 Sep 2009, 09:22

Alfie is a miniature, he's 15 months now and hasn't grown any more since he was 1.

He weighs 20kg and is 20" tall,