How big is your doodle?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Bid

Re: How big is your doodle?

Post by Bid » 18 Sep 2009, 14:14

carly wrote:Sorry Bid, what do you mean about diet playing a part in it???? What should we be doing / not be doing ?

Well according to my vet at Daisy's recent check-up, dogs who grow very quickly are more likely to end up with joint problems such as HD, and my (very amateur and willing to be corrected) understanding is that a diet with too much energy foodstuffs (i.e. carbohydrates) may cause a puppy to grow quickly. However, they need the carbs for energy, and energetic pups will develop strong bones & joints, so it seems to be all a matter of getting a good balance. Frosty or Carole G are the ones who will be able to give more detailed guidance I should think.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » 18 Sep 2009, 16:39

summer is 22" and jack is 25" roughly!
ImageImageImage

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 19 Sep 2009, 06:59

Hi

Our Dylan is 11 months [F1] now and we tried to measure him last week, he is supposed to be between 16 and 18 inches as a medium but already is 20 inches high to the shoulder or there abouts [wouldn't stand still long enough!], he also has a very deep chest with long coat which makes him look quite big, he weighs approz 22 kgs. we are obtzining a miniature next year which is supposed to be 14 to 16 inches from mini doodles Herefordshire. i think it is a lottery as to what height they reach but bitches in my experience are smaller than the males.

Whatever size the next one turns out it will be be loved unconditionally bit like children I suppose !!

Madeleine
ImageImage

janettehamman

Post by janettehamman » 19 Sep 2009, 14:39

Madeleine wrote:Image

Hi

Our Dylan is 11 months [F1] now and we tried to measure him last week, he is supposed to be between 16 and 18 inches as a medium but already is 20 inches high to the shoulder or there abouts [wouldn't stand still long enough!], he also has a very deep chest with long coat which makes him look quite big, he weighs approz 22 kgs. we are obtzining a miniature next year which is supposed to be 14 to 16 inches from mini doodles Herefordshire. i think it is a lottery as to what height they reach but bitches in my experience are smaller than the males.

Whatever size the next one turns out it will be be loved unconditionally bit like children I suppose !!

Madeleine
Beginning to think that it really is a lottery the more I hear. I have looked into getting a minature but as you say there still is no guarantee so have decided to pick one next week from a litter and get another bitch rather than a dog which we were thinking about.

I totally agree that the temperament and training will be the most important thing and so even though this litters pups could be big we are sticking with it and will choose one of the smaller bitches. Pictures to follow hopefully after next weekend. Getting excited now although probably won't pick the pup up until end of October, cant' wait.
ImageImage

ImageImage