Rutland Manor - when you think it can't get any worse...

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
MrsAdmin

Rutland Manor - when you think it can't get any worse...

Post by MrsAdmin » 07 Oct 2009, 00:43

Today I received the following statement from a breeder in America who has had dealings with Beverley Manners at Rutland Manor. It's a long post but I ask that you all read it and understand why some of us firmly believe that the situation at Rutland Manor should not go uninvestigated.

Just when I thought that there surely could not be any more dreadful things to be uncovered about this puppy factory, we are now told that Beverley's complete disregard for her breeding dogs is so great that she left one welping alone and returned to find four dead and dying puppies :twisted:

What that poor dog must have gone through on her own, in a miserable cell, trying to save her precious puppies is just too much to bear. No bitch deserves that and no breeder should be so callous as to create that situation. Beverley Manners MUST have known when she was likely to welp. :twisted: Kia should have never been left alone so close to her time.

"I apologize for the length of my comment, but I have been shocked into reality and feel obliged to share my experiences (and perhaps try to unsuccessfully excuse or explain away my impassiveness) with Beverley Rutland and Rutland Manor.

My heart is completely broken and I have been inconsolable for days now. Tegan Park Shania is the mother of my stud, Tegan’s Logie, born August 2, 2006. Is this the same Shania?? Please, NO! To say I had no idea how bad the conditions were or are at RM would be to admit that I have not done my own in-depth research and have unquestionably believed what Beverley has posted in response to what I believed to be an attack on a strong Christian woman who had contributed so much to this amazing breed; who had so much knowledge to share and affection for her beloved Labradoodles. I could not bring myself to read all the allegations against Beverley and the heartbreaking claims of neglect. I was convinced that Beverley’s daughter, Angela, was fostering all of this out of bitterness and resentment brought on by the hostilities of their family breakup which unfortunately played out for all to witness. Besides, where were the pictures, the documented proof from the accusers? It was all just rhetoric after all, wasn’t it?

I have been trying since May 2008 to have Beverley fulfill her contractual commitment for a replacement breeding puppy for a puppy I bought from her in February 2007 (born in March 2007) which has been evaluated to have severe hip dysplasia. I contributed the continuous delays to all the personal struggles she was going through. There was a question about supporting documents I provided which has been resolved for months. Just be patient I reminded myself.

In a recent visit to RM website to once again check on the “honeymooners” and upcoming litters in hopes of finding the parents for my replacement puppy, I discovered all of her dogs (breeders and puppies) had been removed from her website. Again, I believed that she was only updating her site and the pages would be up shortly with all of the wonderful identifying information she used to have on each of her breeding dogs which for some unexplained reason she had removed months earlier. A thought crossed my mind that with all the additional breeding dogs she had just previously listed on her site, she must finally be getting back on her feet and making a comeback – good for her I thought.

My emails about when to expect the return of her dogs to the site went unanswered. My email expressing my concern about Beverley’s well being went unanswered, but it was the weekend after all. I knew I would hear in a couple of days, but I was anxious to make certain all was well.

Because of all the prejudice and gossip, I didn’t want to ask in any kind of breeder’s forum or discussion group what was going on at RM, so I did the next best thing that would be quick and easy and I could certainly pick what I wanted to read – I Googled Beverley Rutland. Perhaps there would be a “legal notice” posted that would explain (like, God forbid, an obituary).

What I found was “stoprutlandmanor.wordpress.com”. The first thing that caught my heart was “Save Shania”. Oh my God. I looked through the site further. I see the pictures. I see the documented proof. I am face-to-face with FACTS. My heart is absolutely shattered.

In a desperate attempt to be consoled, I called my son to tell him what I had discovered. Rather than console me, he reminded me that the evidence had always been there, but I just didn’t want to see it – didn’t want to admit that someone I had so blindly and completely trusted, respected, defended, sang praises about, prayed for could in reality represent everything I abhor about animal cruelty. He reminded me of the FACTS I had witnessed first-hand with my own documented proof (all of which I have no doubt RM will attempt to explain away):

Fact 1: February 2007, I was in my third year in Iraq and anxiously awaiting birth of my first breeding girl from Rutland’s Kia and Tegan Park Sono Famoso. (Rutland’s Kia is the sister of Rutland’s Kelby, who I fell in love with at first sight.) Ready to start a new life when I returned home. An email from Beverley let me know that Kia had her babies – ten babies, but unfortunately Kia’s first four puppies had died from dehydration. Kia’s milk had not come in and it was “brutally” hot that day. Beverley said she had an errand to run and had to leave Kia alone for only a short time, and Kia wasn’t due for another day. When Beverley returned, she found the four dead pups with Kia in labor. (Proof – email from Beverley.) I am so very thankful for my beautiful and loving Rutland’s Kia Aly.

Fact 2: In April 2007, I decided to include a stud in my breeding program and Beverley offered three to choose from, all around a year old. I selected Tegan’s Logie, from Tegan Park El Grande and Tegan Park Shania, born August 2, 2006. When he arrived in May 2007, his coat was matted, one ear was infected, he was very thin. He suffered from severe separation anxiety and was temporarily put on medication to help him while he was being properly socialized. He is no longer on medication and has become quite the social butterfly easily adjusting to any situation. (Proof – pictures, letter from my vet describing Logie’s condition dated day after Logie’s arrival.) Tegan’s Logie was purchased from Rutland Manor. He is an amazing dog and a real love.

Fact 3: When Tegan Park put the breeding dogs up for auction, I discovered one of them was Tegan Park Lady Gwenevere. I had tried to talk Beverley into selling gorgeous Gwennie to me when I saw pictures of her in 2007 playing with her brother King Arthur when they were a few months old. They were going to keep her for breeding. I bought Gwennie through the auction. When she arrived, her coat was thin and matted, her teeth were brown with plaque and her gums swollen, both of her ears were infected, she was very thin and she had puncture wounds on the top of her head. I was devastated. (Proof – pictures, letter from my vet dated day after Gwennie’s arrival, email correspondence with Tegan Park and Rutland Manor. Gwennie was moved to Tegan from Rutland at the time of the split between them and was purchased from Tegan.) Lady Gwenevere is the most astonishing dog – smart, loving, beautiful and a wonderful mommy. I am blessed to have her in my life.

Fact 4: In March 2007, Tegan’s Delly’s Branna was born to Tegan Park Delightful and Rutland’s Kelby. She arrived in May 2007 with Logie. Branna was tested and evaluated to have “severe” hip dysplasia in May 2008 and was spayed in September 2008. I have been in discussions with Rutland Manor since May 2008 to provide a replacement puppy as contractually provided for. I have been on a waiting list for a “suitable puppy” since that time. (Proof – emails.) Branna was purchased from Rutland Manor.

I was surrounded by the reality, face-to-face with facts and photographs based on my own puppies and dealings, but I didn’t see the truth – no, I chose not to see the truth. I wanted to believe Beverley. I needed to believe Beverley. I should have listened to my heart. I should have listened to my instincts that there was something not quite right. I should have researched on my own. I should have …. But I didn’t.

After I read through “Saving Shania”, I was compelled to read further. What are the allegations, accusations, claims? Are these in fact rumors and gossip by people bent on destroying such an esteemed woman, my mentor? I emailed Beverley pleading for answers to the allegations; to dispel the rumors; for reassurance that my faith and trust in her had not been misplaced. I needed to hear directly from Beverley. I had been successful for months in avoiding all of the rumor mills with more “he said”, “she said”, name calling, etc., until now. The allegations with documentation and pictures were compelling enough to strike at my very core – enough to need to hear from Beverley. I was not quite convinced, but now there were doubts that I turned to Beverley to put to rest with facts, answers and reassurance.

I’m not sure why I think I am special enough to Beverley to warrant the kind of respect straight answers deserves, but I tried.

Beverley responded almost immediately. I read through her email over and over looking for specific “answers” and for “reassurance”. She told me “the allegations are a mix of outright lies, intentionally twisted information, partial truths skewed around, photos that were taken in the middle of a night time criminal trespass by a well known animal activist… .” I sent a second email asking for answers to very specific questions: “What about the “de-barking” surgery on your dogs? Will your dogs be able to return? Under what circumstances? What about the back-to-back breeding allowing more than 2 litters in an 18 month period? They have posted names and dates. Where do your breeding dogs live when they are with you? How do they spend their days and nights? What kind of socialization and interaction do they have?”

Again, why am I so special to deserve straight answers when I am sure there are so many others asking the same questions; others who love, respect and admire Beverley personally and professionally as I do, but who need the same reassurances as I.

Beverley again responded immediately. “if you think that what you have read and ‘seen’ on these hate websites is as you put it ‘pretty compelling and convincing’ then there is no point me trying to discuss it with you any more. You have no idea how hurtful those words are.” “I can no longer continue these emails with you.”

No answers.

I have no doubt that I have hurt her. That was not my intention. I just needed to have something definitive from Beverley herself. It is what it is or is not. Seems simple enough to me. If it is, respond “yes” and if so inclined, explain why. If it is not, then for crying out loud simply say “no” and get on with business as usual. No need for “he said”, “she said”, name calling or finger pointing.

What I “feel” at the very core is betrayal by Beverley Rutland: betrayal to those who believe her beloved reputation as “Grandma Beverley”; betrayal to her own achievements over the past decades as a breeder, researcher and developer of the amazing Labradoodle breed; betrayal to the ethical and moral behavior of every human being to any living creature; betrayal to those she did or could have mentored and shared her invaluable knowledge; betrayal to the love and trust of the dogs in her care; betrayal to her responsibilities to those who purchase her puppies; betrayal to those who have defended her; betrayal to the opportunities laid out before her and wasted; but perhaps the most despicable betrayal of all is that of her betrayal to God’s gift of the Spirit given for the purpose of building up others in a life of faith using the knowledge, skills, talents and abilities she has gathered.

As Anna Sewell, an English novelist wrote: “My doctrine is this: that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and we do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.” It is time I do my part – do what is right, not what is easy. I am watching. I am listening. I am researching. I will speak out.

I am asking Beverley to do what she knows is right. Retire and let loving, caring breeders and families adopt her dogs. Let them live the life they deserve; the life she has bred and developed them for – respect, kindness, love and devotion.

I have much to be thankful for with my dogs, all of which have come from Beverley. I owe a great deal to Beverley for the knowledge she has shared through her website. I will always be grateful and blessed for having known her. I will continue to hope for the best for her personally. And I will continue to feel the heartbreak and pain she has caused.

Catherine
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Adam Lindley

Re: Rutland Manor - when you think it can't get any worse...

Post by Adam Lindley » 07 Oct 2009, 06:41

Old news travels slowly... cut & paste job from stop rutland manor was it??? Can we have some new news, not recycled, third party stuff touted as your own :shock:

Hope you had a great holiday and good to see you back :)

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 07 Oct 2009, 09:30

I have multiple descriptions in my inbox of breeding dogs turning up from RM in very sorry condition, matted, thin, infected ears, not even looking like the dog purchased, mated to the wrong dog, even affected with genetic disease.

Go on Adam,.... call me a liar, call the owners liars. Let the public judge what your motivation is because Catherine's motivation is her deep love for her dogs.

I have had enough of your support of this puppy farmer, it is the dogs that need support, not you and not Rutland Manor.

Like Catherine, I pray that the dogs will be saved from their horrid kennels to go to good homes whether to be bred or not. I may answer academic questions about pedigrees which puts in some doubt the value of the dogs bought, but the real concern is nothing to do with their value but their miserable lives.
ALWAYS visit the premises and see mum with pup. There are no excuses!
DONT BUY FROM PUPPY HARMERS

Adam Lindley

Post by Adam Lindley » 07 Oct 2009, 10:30

I have not called anyone a liar, it is you casting disbursions.

I know that doodles are your personal torture, seeing your beloved poodles used as gene donors for a non shedding coat.

Is this thread another thinly veiled personal attack under the pretence of animal welfare. If you truely wanted to prevent abuse of animals, cancel your membership to the Kennel Club.

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 07 Oct 2009, 12:03

What an odd statement.
I am not a member of the KC Adam, they are a registry, so I can't cancel a non existent membership.
ALWAYS visit the premises and see mum with pup. There are no excuses!
DONT BUY FROM PUPPY HARMERS

linny

Post by linny » 07 Oct 2009, 12:23

Can I remind you Adam that this thread is all about Doodle Welfare....it is not supposed to be used as a slanging arena.
The Post from Catherine has indeed been posted elsewhere but not here....Mrs A sought permission from the author to post it here as there are many that would be interested to read it.

Carol has the interests of Dogs at heart, not breed specific :!: she doesn't warrant or deserve your snide comments Adam
Carol has always put welfare above everything and she has years of Knowledge and experience, many members of UKLA and Doodle TImes have benefited from her shared Knowledge.... me included.
How you can continue to support Bev is beyond me :? when your experience of RM is one brief visit.
Surely you must by now be asking yourself some questions :?: :?:
How can all of the people with a negative first hand experience of RM be wrong :?: :?:

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 07 Oct 2009, 12:25

[quote="Adam Lindley"]Old news travels slowly... cut & paste job from stop rutland manor was it??? Can we have some new news, not recycled, third party stuff touted as your own :shock: quote]

No Adam, this is not a copy of old news. This is the actual breeder sending me the information directly, with her permission to put it on UKLA, for the benefit of people here who actually care about what is happening at Rutland Manor.

As Carole G has pointed out, this topic is about ill-treatment and abuse of dogs, something many, many people both here and on Doodle Times care deeply about, especially when it concerns 'our' breed.

Adam, you seem incapable of understanding just how important this issue is for many people owning Doodles of all types. Beverley Manners and her daughter have proclaimed themselves as the founders of Labradoodles and especially the great gurus of developing the breed.

Given that Labradoodles are cross-breeds (where all the 'pure' pedigrees started from at some point in the chain) and there has been much debate about whether they should be Kennel Club recognised as a type or breed (personally, I think that would be a mistake given the track history of other pedigree breeds development) then the last thing the breed needs is a highly questionable past (and present) history founded on the basis of erroneous claims by a puppy farmer.

If the whole history of the Creme de la Creme of the Doodles (as the Aussies are held up to be) appears to be founded on the basis of lies and manipulation and the self-inflated ego of this woman, then where does this leave the Labradoodle as a developing breed?

Thank God there are decent, honest breeders in the UK at least who put their dog's welfare first and who truly care about the HEALTHY development of Labradoodle types. They should not have their reputations tarnished because of the greed, self-aggrandisement and callous behaviour of Beverley Manners.

There will be plenty of NEW news, as you so desire Adam, when the RSPCA and Baw Baw Council and the EPA complete their investigations into Rutland Manor. Such matters take time sadly, whilst most of the dogs seem to have done a vanishing trick into God knows where - the next place to set up a puppy farm perhaps, where the bright lights of revelation might not shine so blatantly on their ill treatment. :cry:

Or do you know exactly where they have gone Adam?

For anyone wanting to find out more about the investigations and reports concerning Rutland Manor then here is the link

http://stoprutlandmanor.wordpress.com/

There is certainly plenty of 'news' for you there Adam.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Lainey74

Post by Lainey74 » 07 Oct 2009, 12:37

linny wrote:How can all of the people with a negative first hand experience of RM be wrong :?: :?:
Perhaps because it's easier to carry on claiming that, then face what now apperas to be the truth, and hold your hands up and say 'I might have been wrong about RM, I'm sorry'.

http://www.labradoodle-rescue.com

Hip Dysplasia is painful & expensive. See the hip scores of BOTH parents.

DONT TRUST THE PUPPY FINDER

Adam Lindley

Post by Adam Lindley » 07 Oct 2009, 13:27

linny wrote:How can all of the people with a negative first hand experience of RM be wrong :?: :?:
And what about the silent masses with a positive first hand experience? Are they wrong too? Considering the profile of RM and the length of time they have been running they must be doing something right, or have respected breeders been turning a blind eye for 20+ years?

There are a number of posters here with nothing but third hand experience, but who still feel obliged to jump on the bandwagon.

I don't know where the dogs have gone. I do know that this whole thing is taking its toll on Beverley.

Lainey74

Post by Lainey74 » 07 Oct 2009, 14:25

Poor Beverly.

Perhaps we should stop worrying about the welfare of the poor dogs in her 'care' and focus our attentions on this vulnerable lady and the unfair threatment she is receiving since the pictures and stories of her puppy farm came to light. :roll:

Seems a little odd to me that the silent masses with their positive first hand experiences are keeping so quiet. Personally, if I knew someone was being portrayed in a light which was completely unfair and untrue, I would stand up and fight their corner for them, even more so if I knew the things being said were affecting this persons health. Perhaps there aren't as many people as you think, who have had a positive experience!?

As for your question of breeders turning a blind eye for the last 20 years, the thing to bear in mind is a lot of breeders are not able to get over to RM to see the premesis for themselves, and dogs have been bought on trust basis. Beverly has ensured she has had a very professional website, only showing what she wants buyers to see, and there is no doubting she knows about dogs, so any breeder dealing with her over the phone and via email, could easily be duped into thinking RM is all it is cracked up to be.

This is not about jumping on a bandwagon, but about each and every one of us on here sharing one thing in common - A love of dogs and a desire (in fact, a need) to see any dogs being treated badly, kept in poor condition, bred back to back etc, to be removed form the breeder and given the life they so rightly deserve. I'm at a loss as to why this is so difficult to understand.
This is not all kicking off because it's RM and everyone wants to stick the knife in - the reaction would be exactly the same if it was Joe Bloggs with a puppy farm in Wales, or John Smith in Leeds. It makes no odds who it is.
The only reason this is still big news is because Beverly is a big time breeder - and more importantly the one who claims to be the founder of the beautiful ASD we all know and love. Surely you can't expect all of these claims to be swept under the carpet because Beverly is getting on a bit?

Bid

Post by Bid » 07 Oct 2009, 15:13

MrsAdmin wrote:No Adam, this is not a copy of old news. This is the actual breeder sending me the information directly, with her permission to put it on UKLA, for the benefit of people here who actually care about what is happening at Rutland Manor.
and I for one would like to thank her very much for sharing her experiences with us.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

linny

Post by linny » 07 Oct 2009, 19:29

Excellent post Lainey74, very well put....totally agree with everything you've said.

Adam Lindley

Post by Adam Lindley » 07 Oct 2009, 21:16

Lainey74 wrote:Poor Beverly.
Perhaps we should stop worrying about the welfare of the poor dogs in her 'care' and focus our attentions on this vulnerable lady and the unfair threatment she is receiving since the pictures and stories of her puppy farm came to light. :roll:
Threatment - a typo maybe, but a pretty accurate assessment of some of the actions against Beverley :)

If this was purely about animal welfare, there are much bigger concerns and far worse actions happening on your doorstep. RM has 20-odd dogs, there will be breeders on this forum with similar number I would guess, does that make them "big time breeders".

I don't go out of my way to find kennels but have seen places in Wales with twice that number of dogs, and in a far worse set-up. I know of places here in Australia with at least 5 times that number of dogs.

Some of you at least be honest with yourselves and admit that you've jumped on the anti-RM bandwagon, or joined the witch hunt (Bev apparently has a wand and allegedly waved it at her neighbours, triggering legal action :shock: )

linny

Post by linny » 07 Oct 2009, 21:51

Who is jumping on the band waggon Adam ?. You have a lot to say in Bevs defence even though by your own admission you have only been to RM once.Surely you are defending someone you know very little about?.....you are also on the band waggon Adam. If indeed there is one.

Lainey74

Post by Lainey74 » 07 Oct 2009, 22:44

Adam Lindley wrote:
Lainey74 wrote:Poor Beverly.
Threatment - a typo maybe, but a pretty accurate assessment of some of the actions against Beverley :)

If this was purely about animal welfare, there are much bigger concerns and far worse actions happening on your doorstep. RM has 20-odd dogs, there will be breeders on this forum with similar number I would guess, does that make them "big time breeders".

I don't go out of my way to find kennels but have seen places in Wales with twice that number of dogs, and in a far worse set-up. I know of places here in Australia with at least 5 times that number of dogs.

Some of you at least be honest with yourselves and admit that you've jumped on the anti-RM bandwagon, or joined the witch hunt (Bev apparently has a wand and allegedly waved it at her neighbours, triggering legal action :shock: )
If any breeder has 20+ dogs which they breed from, then yes, I personally feel they are breeding on a pretty large scale. However, the issue isn't with how many dogs she is breeding from, but the conditions of the poor dogs in question. If she had 20+ dogs who were all receiving the care, love and attention they deserve, then I couldn't care less if she were breeding from 2, 20 or 200. But the fact is, she doesn't seem to be in a position to be able to cope with looking after the dogs she does have. Either that or she just doesn't care.
And I am aware there are breeders on here with more than one dog which they breed from - if there are any in the 20s I really don't know, but the point is, the breeders who post on here ensure their dogs have the best of the best. Nothing is too much trouble for them, and their dogs are all part of the family. The same can not be said for RM.

Just because there are bigger concerns happening on our doorstep, does not mean we should all turn a blind eye to something which has been brought to our attention. It's crazy to suggest that because this isn't going on right under our noses, or because there are worse things going on else where, we should just ignore what is going on at RM and let Beverly continue running her breeding programme so appallingly. At what point do you think people should intervene and say enough is enough, if you think things aren't that bad at the moment? Should we be waiting for dogs to die before people step in and try to help the poor animals involved?

I am well aware there are places in this Country which are probably worse than RM - but just like you, I too do not go looking for puppy farmers and kennels either. I'm a bit of a wuss with that kind of thing I'm afraid. :( However - if someone posted a thread on here about one of these b**tards in this country, I would reply in exactly the same way I have here, and would still agree that something needs to be done - sooner rather than later. Perhaps you think it's wrong of me to sit here on my high horse, giving my opinions on RM when I'm not willing to get up and do something about the problems closer to home. And perhaps you're right.

Is the bandwagon/witch hunt comment aimed at me? Because I can assure you I'm not on any bandwagon. I have kept myself to myself throughout all of these revelations, only posting once previously, and then that was a post from the perspective of an ASD owner, just stating that whatever Lilys family history is, I love her dearly, and would not swap her for the world. And I stand by that.

And it's looking at Lily, lying by a roaring fire, with a full belly, cats and children lying next to her, so content and loved, that makes me want to post re Beverlys dogs. If they could have a fraction of what Lily has they would be on their way to having the lives they deserve.