Lazy Labradoodle????

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Nicky

Lazy Labradoodle????

Post by Nicky » 07 Oct 2009, 22:06

Hi :D

I am asking some advice here as a new doodle owner I have many concerns as I am getting to know my puppy and as you are all owners I was just wondering if you could advise me...

The problem is my puppy seems very lazy, in the mornings he doesn't like getting out of his bed before 8am! if he is woken up before then he will stay in his bed and yawn and not want to go outside.....

During the day he sleeps quite alot (he is 5 months) but now and again he will have a mad 15 mins where he will jump around with a toy, bark and chase the cat but this doesn't last long.

He is on a good diet and gets exercise once a day at the moment, my concern is could he be ill?? he eats and drinks okay and when he has energy he seems healthy, the breeder said before we bought him she had trouble getting him up in the mornings!
Do you think this could be just his laid back personality, or something serious?? he has been to the vets about other things and they never said anything. :roll:

Lainey74

Re: Lazy Labradoodle????

Post by Lainey74 » 07 Oct 2009, 22:56

If he is eating and drinking fine, toileting ok, and generally fine in himself, then I would say you are one of the lucky few who has a pretty laid back dood!! My Lily is laid back too - when we get up in the morning, she gets out of bed and then goes and lies on the bottom stair to sleep. :roll: :lol: In the house she is very chilled out and pretty lazy, but she makes up for it on her walks where she burns off tons of energy.

I would say dont worry, and count your blessings! lol :lol:

http://www.labradoodle-rescue.com

Hip Dysplasia is painful & expensive. See the hip scores of BOTH parents.

DONT TRUST THE PUPPY FINDER

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 08 Oct 2009, 06:59

I would love my doodle to sleep until 8am everyday! He's up and crying at 6am every single morning, which isn't too bad on a week day as I have to walk him at 6.30am, but when I'm not at work I would love him to sleep until 8am then I could too!

Wendy x

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

redheadreddog

Post by redheadreddog » 08 Oct 2009, 08:55

hi nicky i would say you are a lucky owner and ehco what has been said,i have two dogs one who is so layed back he could sleep all day some times and then when you go out he is full of life and comes home and chills and the other is a live wire and is on the go all the time, so as long as all the normale signs are good i would not worrie,just watch him and as long as he is eating and drinking and going to the loo he will be fine make the most of it ,it could all change in a few weeks beleve me.
redheadreddog

KateW

Post by KateW » 08 Oct 2009, 11:37

When you think about the huge amount of growth a puppy experiences in the first few months of life it is not surprising that they need plenty of sleep :)

If your puppy is just sleepy, I would not worry as long as he doesn't seem sluggish or apathetic when he does wake up and is lively at other points in the day. Our Rufus very quickly adapted to our lifestyle and goes to bed late and wakes up late.....

But if you have any concerns at all it is always best to mention them to your vet.

Katherine
ImageImage

kiwi&dood

Post by kiwi&dood » 08 Oct 2009, 16:33

Lucky you! We havent slept later than 6am since we got our pup cos he always gets us up! :D
Kiwi&dood

Dylan

Daisy(mini)Doodle

Post by Daisy(mini)Doodle » 08 Oct 2009, 17:55

Daisy often takes herself to bed around 9pm which is a bit awkward on wednesday nights as dog training is at 8.45 so she has a bit of a late night. She rarely wakes in the night and only really gets up in the morning when we do around 7-8 although even then shes not the liveliest dog

I think shes copying the cats
Chris & Pauline Daisy & Ziva
ImageImage

liverbird

Post by liverbird » 08 Oct 2009, 18:16

Stella has become a bit of a lazy bones in the mornings. I am up at 6:55 - there was a time when she used to get up with me but not these days. She lies in til about 10:30 then jumps on the bed and wakes OH up (he works nights) I think she may be getting him back for waking her when he gets home at 3am!!

mistydog

Post by mistydog » 08 Oct 2009, 19:07

Freddie is 18 months and still the same. One of us gets up about 7.15 and gos into the garden to feed the horses, he doesn't get up! Make the drink and go back to bed, he will come into the bedroom for a cuddle then sleep at the bottom of the bed where he stays while we have a shower and get dressed. He might decide to go outside about 9 a.m. If there is something interesting to do then he is up for it, or he gets into mischieve (sp) otherwise he is lying down or asleep so don't worry. We are actually thinking of getting another dog to play with as we had two dogs before and it works.

Dillondood

Post by Dillondood » 09 Oct 2009, 17:16

Sounds like you just have a laid back dood, so just enjoy :D

Dillon cannot be bothered to get off his bed either when I come down before 6am, just lies with his legs in the air, and might open one eye to look at me - if he can be bothered :lol:
Dillon, Darcy & Ruth

eileenandmolly

Post by eileenandmolly » 09 Oct 2009, 23:00

I just want to make a BOGOF offer!!! 2 for the price of one!!! You can have my 2 hyperactives in exchange for your lazy dood!!!

Just joking- wouldn't let my girls go for all the tea in China, no more than you would let Freddie go to me!!!

Have to admit that, having got me up to give them their brekkie at 6am this morning (they sleep on my bed :D and lick my face till I get up!) they then let me return to bed and lie in till ....toooo late! (9.15 when I came too!)