Polo and the pigeon

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
gilly g

Polo and the pigeon

Post by gilly g » 10 Oct 2009, 22:15

I came home from work on Thursday lunchtime to discover that, according to my 21 year old son, Polo had caught and killed a pigeon in the garden. I had promised Joel a lift to work, so had to dash out almost straight away. Joel had put the pigeon in a plastic carrier bag onto the patio table, but said there were masses of feathers still in the garden. When I returned home, I checked the carcass: it had been beautifully plucked and looked ready for the oven!! It didn't have a mark or tear on its breast where it's feathers had been removed. At first I thought that perhaps a cat had caught the bird and Polo had frightened it away, but Joel is adamant that the dog had the bird by the neck and no cat was involved (I tried picking the feathers up with rubber gloves on, but resorted to the petrol mower to "hoover" them up)
None of my other dogs have been quick enough to catch a bird- has any one else experienced this before? (he's 20 weeks old)

KateW

Re: Polo and the pigeon

Post by KateW » 10 Oct 2009, 23:22

Yes, I am afraid so :evil: Rufus killed his first wood pigeon in the garden at about the same age as Polo is now and I saw him do it....Straight leap in the air, clean kill. He killed several other birds in the same way and I had to remove all the wild bird feeding stations in our small garden.

Rufus has a very strong hunting instinct and has caught and killed pheasants, wild rabbits and mice. Obviously we try to discourage this behaviour and there is no way he would ever be allowed off the lead in the country near livestock. On the beach he has more or less given up chasing gulls but gets very excited by the sand pipers. Fortunately he hasn't managed to catch them. Oh and he has swum out to sea after swans :shock: Now if I see swans he goes straight on the lead.....

I have never had a dog who behaves like this. He is a wonderful dog with people, including small children and exceptionally good with tiny puppies. In hindsight, I should probably have taken him for gun dog training although I am the most unlikely person to be involved in any way with hunting, shooting and fishing. Oh and yes, he does catch fish as well....

Katherine
ImageImage

gilly g

Post by gilly g » 11 Oct 2009, 18:31

Thanks Katherine

This is something I will have very to be careful of and and I really appreciate hearing of you own experience. I take him to our local woods, as, because it is enclosed, he can be let off his lead and doodledash to his hearts content, but still comes back when I hide (or for his livercake which is more successful) but, he doesn't chase the birds in the woods. I' m hoping it might be territorial (?) but watch this space.... (This was also a wood pigeon)

gilly g

Post by gilly g » 11 Oct 2009, 21:37

"This is something I will have very to be careful"

Oh dear. I've just read what I wrote earlier, I hadn't even had a glass of wine !!

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 11 Oct 2009, 21:40

I would have one now Gilly :lol: preferably accompanied by a nicely baked pigeon pie :lol: :lol:
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Adam Lindley

Post by Adam Lindley » 12 Oct 2009, 09:55

There is something about birds for some dogs. One of our girls has a thing for them. We had a mixed bag of chickens, different colours, sexes etc. The numbers were decreasing, first all the black birds disappeared, then all the males :shock:

We have since moved and rehomed the chickens, and now there are pelicans... they are almost as big as her, but the nose starts to twitch when she sees them. :!:

Bid

Post by Bid » 12 Oct 2009, 10:07

KateW wrote: Oh and yes, he does catch fish as well....

Katherine
That's amazing - you have to admire his skill! :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Daisy(mini)Doodle

Post by Daisy(mini)Doodle » 12 Oct 2009, 14:11

So far 3 mice (the cats lost interest) 1 rabbit and 1 pigeon which she caught whilst on the lead walking along the pavement
Chris & Pauline Daisy & Ziva
ImageImage

KateW

Post by KateW » 12 Oct 2009, 17:02

gilly g wrote:Thanks Katherine

This is something I will have very to be careful of and and I really appreciate hearing of you own experience. I take him to our local woods, as, because it is enclosed, he can be let off his lead and doodledash to his hearts content, but still comes back when I hide (or for his livercake which is more successful) but, he doesn't chase the birds in the woods. I' m hoping it might be territorial (?) but watch this space.... (This was also a wood pigeon)
You are welcome, Gilly :) From memory, Rufus started flushing out birds in our local woods when he was about six months old. At about the same time he started exploring various setts, digging and had to be removed from danger more than once as he was in danger of meeting Mr Badger having entered the tunnel leading to the sleeping quarters.....One of the dogs we sometimes walk with was recently attacked by a badger in his garden at night and had to have emergency treatment for very severe wounds.......

Let's hope that Polo does not follow Rufus's lead :roll:

Katherine
ImageImage

KateW

Post by KateW » 12 Oct 2009, 17:10

Bid wrote:
KateW wrote: Oh and yes, he does catch fish as well....

Katherine
That's amazing - you have to admire his skill! :lol:
Yes, that's one way of looking at it, Bid :lol:

His new trick is digging for razor clams.....Unfortunately, one of the lug worm diggers on the beach asked if I wanted some the other day and inadvertently demonstrated the technique for harvesting them :) Now we have to contend with frantic digging and tail wagging every few yards on one part of the beach. Unlike the birds, rabbits,etc Rufus is happy to present me with his beach finds- perhaps he wants me to cook them for him :lol: :lol:

Katherine
ImageImage