Nothing like a doodle...

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Ben

Re: Nothing like a doodle...

Post by Ben » 15 Oct 2009, 22:44

Hi

I had to respond. Holly looks a lovely and fantastic pup....and the best thing is, she has been reared with love and integrity.

My dog was wavy when born, wirey to begin with, and since a couple of labrador shaves, has become slightly fluffier/softer scruff at 17mths.

Holly looks a beautiful pup, and I know how easy it is to look at doodle images and think 'I want a disney one', but the majority from what I have seen are scruffys, unless you are going for an ASD or about 4th generation plus....which can still have scruffy throwbacks!

You will have a beautiful natured, loving, and fantastic pup with a fuzzy scruffy look, but this is far better than getting a pedigree or highly strung dog which can be bad tempered.

carly

Post by carly » 16 Oct 2009, 13:22

Hi

I have just looked at the Breeders website and I wouldn't call Holly's mum flat/straight coated, she definately looks more rough / struffy, and very very pretty :P :P :P .

Also, from the pictures of Holly on there I wouldn't say she is flat/straight either. She seems to have the usual longer finer hairs on her coat, unlike Logan who is truely flat and very soft.

I am going to the garden centre this weekend as they have an offer on Grow Bags, going to see what happens if I give him one as his bed :lol: :lol: :lol:

Carly & Logan

donakell

Post by donakell » 16 Oct 2009, 13:46

Thanks folks...

I think Holly is lovely too, ok she isnt like her dad with the fleece coat but I never misled the people at all and this is the first I have heard in 6 months that they arent happy with her....

As a young pup she defo looked like she was going to be like her mum with the scruffy shaggy coat, I will try and look out some pictures of her as a baby and also her mum so you can see they look the same....

Dont know why this is bothering me so much but it is a bit hurtful saying I misled them when I didnt...I spend a lot of time raising my pups as family members and give out extensive puppy packs and information to the best I can and have always had lovely sociable, friendly, well balanced pups...
I cannot help how the dogs finally turn out although I do try my best to match puppies to what people want if they are prepared to wait for the right pup..

Bid

Post by Bid » 16 Oct 2009, 13:53

A gorgeous looking pup! My Daisy is an F2, and in her litter there were all sorts of coats - from scruffy, to curly, and fleecy. I meet regularly with one of her sisters who has a gorgeous long thick fleecy coat, whereas Daisy is a scruffy, and you know what - I think I got the better deal :lol: . Her sister sheds her coat heavily, once wet she stays wet for hours, and she gathers all the foliage from her walks in her coat and so needs hours of grooming, plus she needs to have a cut taking 3 hours every couple of months. My scruffy Daisy has her hair cut every 2 years, takes 10 minutes to groom, is self cleaning and non-shedding, and absolutely beautiful.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

amber

Post by amber » 16 Oct 2009, 14:19

donakell wrote:Thanks folks...

I think Holly is lovely too, ok she isnt like her dad with the fleece coat but I never misled the people at all and this is the first I have heard in 6 months that they arent happy with her....

As a young pup she defo looked like she was going to be like her mum with the scruffy shaggy coat, I will try and look out some pictures of her as a baby and also her mum so you can see they look the same....

Dont know why this is bothering me so much but it is a bit hurtful saying I misled them when I didnt...I spend a lot of time raising my pups as family members and give out extensive puppy packs and information to the best I can and have always had lovely sociable, friendly, well balanced pups...
I cannot help how the dogs finally turn out although I do try my best to match puppies to what people want if they are prepared to wait for the right pup..

Iwanted to say this yesterday, but I would also be absolutely devastated if this were me. I can't imagine being disappointed in a nice natured dog, whatever her coat, and it looks fine to me. To me it would be like saying I was disappointed in the way my child had turned out :cry:
How could you!

donz

Post by donz » 16 Oct 2009, 16:06

no reply from them though.....interesting

I have to agree with the majority, in that you surely can't be disappointed in a great natured dog - so long as you are not allergic to them!!

My very first doodle didn't turn out as shaggy curly as I felt I had been 'led to believe' but in hindsight I really feel I wanted one so bad I heard what I wanted to hear. The breeder DID tell me what an F1 meant and that you couldn't guarantee coat type or how they would shed but you just see an example and that's it - you're hooked!

I have 3 doodles in my doggy household amongst other breeds and I would say you just CAN'T GUARANTEE the coat type - not even with the Aussies. My Stan has a coat completely unlike his littermates - he is soooooo poodley - the others are beautiful looser curls (not that he is not gorgeous of course!). Digger is at the moment looking great but he is only 5mths old and so could be anything in another year

I appreciate in this 'fashionable' environment that some buyers are looking specifically for a coat type over and above the rest (whatever some may say it is true - I am not saying this person was tho) but I do feel that 9mths down the line, if you really haven't had a proper chat with the breeder before now, then you've had your chance.

In my eyes, if I was THAT disappointed in the coat, I'd still be asking myself do I really want to give up this fab natured dog who I have been training and housebreaking and bonding with for the past 7mths to start over again just for a different coat???? :?
ImageImage

KateW

Post by KateW » 16 Oct 2009, 17:15

I think Donz may have identified the crux of this issue when she said that often people hear what they want to hear when it comes to choosing puppies......

Holly looks lovely and I think the reason Donna is so upset is that any hint of ambivalence about a puppy you have bred must be terrible. I recognise that Holly's owners say that they love her so I presume that they are looking for a partial refund on the purchase price which is surely something to be discussed privately :?:

Rufus is only mildly scruffy; we think he is absolutely gorgeous and he receives compliments every day. When we bought him, we were in a position to buy any breed of dog and price was not a barrier or a real consideration. As we live by the sea and love walking on the beach and in the woods - and having spent 15 years caring for an OES with huge grooming needs - we were actively seeking a dog with an uncomplicated coat. His breeder told me there were no guarantees which I knew anyway having researched the cross and of course we would love him for all his many qualities regardless of his coat.

I agree with Bid in that the scruffy is my preference; we know one beautiful goldendoodle and one magnificently coated jackapoo who live locally who are only allowed on the beach occasionally because they get " too messy" :(

Katherine
ImageImage

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 16 Oct 2009, 17:40

I can't find Holly on your website, but just wanted to say that your puppies are absolutely gorgeous, and what a nice, comprehensive website you have.

We got Murphy in August, he is one of the Snuggles puppies, we also wanted a shaggy, curly coated doodle, when we chose him he was the curliest in the litter, but his adult coat is coming through quite wiry and not really curly at all, BUT I love him to bits, as you say his temprament is SO much more important than his coat, and I would not change him for the world (well apart from when he's walked mud all over the lounge carpet, chewed the wine rack, ripped the kids jumpers, stolen the tv remote......... :lol: :lol: :lol: oh the joys of doodle ownership!!!)

Please could you post a photo of Holly so we can see her?

Wendy x

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mica1971

Post by Mica1971 » 16 Oct 2009, 18:50

iwantadog wrote:I can't find Holly on your website, but just wanted to say that your puppies are absolutely gorgeous, and what a nice, comprehensive website you have.
Hiya, if you go onto donna's website and click on puppys, then the Maleeka's 2009 litter Holly is at the top, she is every bit as stunning as the rest of them.

I have to admit I am in love with Amerah, her F2 Golden doodle - wonder if she would like Marley as her toy boy :lol: :lol: My sister wants Roxy! :lol: :lol:

'An idle mind is the devil's workshop.'
And the devil's name is Alzheimer's!

donakell

Post by donakell » 16 Oct 2009, 18:52

[quote="iwantadog"]I can't find Holly on your website, but just wanted to say that your puppies are absolutely gorgeous, and what a nice, comprehensive website you have.

Please could you post a photo of Holly so we can see her?

Thanks Wendy, she actually looks very similar to your Murphy who is gorgeous!!!

The pics of Holly are on the website under puppies and then the drop down for Maleekas pups...sorry cant get any of the original pics of Holly as they are on my old computer and for the life of me cant get them transferred onto the new one... :?

Lol I think all my dogs are now spoken for lol...

Thanks to everyone who has commented how lovely my Golden-shepadoodles are!!! to be totally biased they are all stunning and dare I say it as all my pups have been lovely in my eyes but they have been the best litter I have had... :)

I usually try not to get invlolved in discussions but had to reply as people were asking why the breeder hadnt responded and felt I had to reply back..

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 16 Oct 2009, 19:41

Awwww, she's gorgeous, she is like a lighter version of Murphy.

Wendy x

julies0708

Post by julies0708 » 17 Oct 2009, 10:40

We bought Bailey sight unseen as we are in the north of scotland, the breeder in Dorset, literally one end of the country to the other. I saw photos of him and he was the only one in the litter not to have a curly coat, it was flat with a slight wisp - I didn't care I wanted a doodle, any doodle (well any doodle from a breeder I could trust) as I had researched the breed and found them all to have fantastic playful natures - his coat was secondary as it should be - the first priority when buying a dog for the family home is how good is its nature, if buying to show then yes the coat would be a high 1st - I take it you didn't buy to show?

this was Bailey when we first got him

and this is him today

a bit of a difference in coat eh! but the temprament and his nature has never altered and thats what I love about him not his coat

Looks appear to be more important to you than nature/personality - which leads me to beleive you wanted the "designer dog" not the doodle

Doods just wanna have fun

Image Image

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 17 Oct 2009, 11:02

julies0708 wrote:
Looks appear to be more important to you than nature/personality - which leads me to beleive you wanted the "designer dog" not the doodle
What a gorgeous boy! Think you have hit the nail on the head there, sadly.

Wendy x

thepooles

Post by thepooles » 17 Oct 2009, 11:04

sorry but this is such an odd thread, what a daft thing to complain about. sure, we might choose a particular look for a dog when choosing a pup, but as soon as you've made that bond in the relationship, surely you couldnt care less what the dog looked like - they are your soul mates.

i do hope this lovely dog is getting all the love it deserves and is being cherished for its gorgeous temperament

Dexter_Mir

Post by Dexter_Mir » 17 Oct 2009, 11:20

Arrrrrr...... Lets not bash them over the head we are after all attracted to different things arn't we? I like bald men but my partner has a had full of hair!!!, fine I'm not asking for my money back :lol: but we do all like different things.. They havent said they dont love Holly or want to swap her and yep i get the point that they never went back to the breeder, or did they? we dont really know do we, we just form an opinion based on what we read.... and please don't turn on me now :(

Dee xx