When to Spay??

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Gwen

When to Spay??

Post by Gwen » 10 Nov 2009, 18:28

Hello everybody

I wonder if anybody has any words of advice for me please? I have a 6 month old Labradoodle, the lovely Lily. My vet said that it is up to me whether I get her spayed before her first season or to wait until she has had a season and then get her spayed. The problem is he didn't really offer any constructive advice to sway me either way, just said it's entirely my decision. I would have liked some pros and cons. Does anybody have any advice for me please as I am in a bit of quandary what to do!!

Thanks very much
Gwen

MrsAdmin

Re: When to Spay??

Post by MrsAdmin » 10 Nov 2009, 18:34

There has been quite a bit of discussion about this on here if you put speying into the search.

Most vets recommend that, for the girls, you wait until three months after the start of the first season so that they get the hormones they need first.

Some Doodles mature earlier than others though. Becky didn't start her first season until she was 15 months old, right over Christmas :roll: , so wasn't speyed until she was about 18 months.

Boys can be after 6 months according to some vets, but personally I prefer to wait until they are a bit more mature and showing signs of interest in girls or cocking their leg, ideally after 1 year old. Jack was done at 11 months because he seemed developed in attitude and behaviour but I had also Becky the same age and perhaps about to start a season. Did not want the risk of unplanned puppies :oops:
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Gwen

Post by Gwen » 10 Nov 2009, 18:42

Thank you for that information Mrs Admin, it is very useful. I started thinking about it again today as I met a lady today who had a 9 month old Doodle and her vet strongly recommended speying before first season, said something about it reducing the chance of "mammary" cancer by 98%, so got me thinking about it again. So many different views, you don't know if you are doing right for doing wrong!!

I wondered if Lily would be coming into season soon as she started "humping" her toy Hippo the other night.... very undignified and I swear the Hippo had a startled look on its face!!!

Gwen

Bid

Post by Bid » 10 Nov 2009, 19:04

My vet also told me that every season they have increases the chance of them getting mammary tumours, but since then I've been told that the chance of getting mammary tumours is still small after one season, and they are not the same as breast cancer in humans.

As Mrs Admin says, there are lots of arguments for and against waiting until they have had a season. I chose to wait with my girls, because I wanted to give them a chance to mature properly - physically and mentally. Poppy in particular was very puppyish even at a year - her first season wasn't until she was 18 months old.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Gwen

Post by Gwen » 10 Nov 2009, 19:24

Thank you very much Bid, much appreciated. The more information I get the more informed choice I can make.

MUMMYBUCK

Post by MUMMYBUCK » 10 Nov 2009, 20:53

We had Meg spayed before her 1st season on the advice of our vet - we have had no problems with her. He did give us several good reasons for (one being the cancer, two the time of year three the size of the dog and others which I cant remember) and none for waiting till after. Its really hard I spent all day crying when I took Meg she came home all forlorn looking but by the end of the week it was all over and forgotten and she was back running around like a nutter for the spring good luck
mummybuck and MegImage

sami

Post by sami » 10 Nov 2009, 21:29

Hi Gwen,

I have the same predicament as Mrs Admin, although I have to be especially careful as my 2 are half brother and sister.
As Cookie (girl) is 11 months the vet has recommended waiting for a season, she said there are pro's and cons either way. If they have the op before a season there is a small chance of incontinence, but the chance of mammory cancer is reduced.

Barley(boy) is coming up to 5 1/2 months, again the dilemma :? The vet said he can be neutered from 6 months but ideally let him reach maturity and have it done when he is over a year old.

It's quite confussing, and we all just want to do whats right for our furry friends :D
ImageImage

COOKIE & BARLEY xxx

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 10 Nov 2009, 21:53

Barley needs to copy Jack's example Sami. When Becky had her season he packed his bed and bone and went for a holiday at Granny's for three weeks:lol:

Actually, with all her mood swings, I think he was best off there :lol:
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

flaviamccurdy

Post by flaviamccurdy » 10 Nov 2009, 22:55

Hi ,
I've spayed Sophie @ 7 months before she had her first season. I was in the same predicament and decided to go for it, she is absolutely fine, the next day she was like nothing happened. It was definitely the right choice for us.

amber

Post by amber » 10 Nov 2009, 23:19

For me the decision has always been to spay after the first season, when the hormones have done their necessary work.
There is a tiny increased risk of tumour after one season, but it is so small it is not really worth mentioning, about 1-2%.
There is a bigger risk of incontenance in later life to spay before first season.
This is no small issue to the bitch.

Gwen

Post by Gwen » 11 Nov 2009, 00:33

Thank you very much to everybody for their views, it will help me make a decision although at the moment I have no idea what that decision will be. All I do know is I am not looking forward to taking her to the vet to get it done, I will feel very mean indeed :( :(

amber

Post by amber » 11 Nov 2009, 00:56

its never easy is it :(
know just what you mean :)

softiedog

Post by softiedog » 11 Nov 2009, 11:11

Our Collie was spayed at 6 months, before her first season. That was the advice twenty years ago, however she never became incontinent or had any tumours and died aged nearly 18. Whether this was more luck than judgement I do not know but that was our experience.

PennyAli

Post by PennyAli » 11 Nov 2009, 15:01

I believe in Speying before the first season their bits have not developed as much as after a first season and the recovery time is faster and the procedure is more simple, I have witnessed the operation first hand and I believe it is better done before. Bitches can become incontinent weather they are speyed before or after the first season but it is rare.

bagpussy

Post by bagpussy » 11 Nov 2009, 19:25

Had Barley spayed last Monday. As previously discussed there will be reasons for doing it before and after the first season. What also confused me most was which op to go for ...lap or midline?

Anyhow, we went for the midline (sister in law a vet so able to take good advice) and I have to say she (literally) bounced back the following day! I was particularly worried about the effects of the anaesthetic and the pain she would suffer so delayed it until after her first season (as is the advice of a lot of practices I hear).

Sutures due out tomorrow and then completely back to normal for us! Glad it's over and seriously glad I took the decision to do it as I was really surprised at how 'low' and miserable she was during her first season.....let's not mention the mess!