Question re. first season

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
doodlemad

Question re. first season

Post by doodlemad » 28 Jan 2007, 19:21

Hi all, would really appreciate some help on this one. My sister is getting married in Norfolk in March and Marmite will be 5 and a bit months. Am I right in thinking her first season will be around then? My concern is that my parents' male border terrier will be all over her and I definitely don't want any puppies! My vet won't spey her until after her first season. Am I worrying about nothing or is there something I can do to prolong the first season?????? If she is in season I can't think of any way around it other than asking my parents to move their dog out for a few days.

Can anyone enlighten me?
Many thanks,
Lucy & Marmite :oops:

DizzyDora

Post by DizzyDora » 28 Jan 2007, 19:31

Hi doodlemad

I cannot speak for all but Kona did not have her 1st season until she was 11 months old & I had been told not to expect her 1st season until around 9 mths or later for a standard. Kona is 25in to shoulder & weighs 25kilos she has kept same wieght & height since she was 8 months. I think you will be ok but obviously I am not an "expert" :lol: hope this helps.
Dizzy

LouBeale

Post by LouBeale » 28 Jan 2007, 19:32

I think 5 months is a little early to expect her first season, usually 6 months onwards, Truffle had hers at 9 months, so it really can vary.
Good luck, hope you manage to come up with some solution if it is the case. :wink:

susiegill

Post by susiegill » 28 Jan 2007, 19:43

:lol:

Hi there

Like the others say, probably a little bit too early for first season.

Rosie is practically 7 months now, and she hasn't had one yet if that's any help.
Susan, Rosie & Molly
http://www.susiedoodles.piczo.com
DON'T TRUST THE PUPPY FINDER!

Labradorable

Post by Labradorable » 28 Jan 2007, 19:58

Our Standard Poodle Daisy didn't have her first season until she was 14 months old. I haven't ever heard of a dog having a season as early as 5 months (not saying it's never happened) but I think it's most unlikely so I wouldn't worry too much.

doodlemad

Post by doodlemad » 28 Jan 2007, 20:20

Phew, thanks guys, guess I'm just a worrywort. Hopefully she will be OK, are there any signs to look out for other than swollen "bits"?! :oops:

Very grateful for your help!
Lucy & Marmite

eliritch

Post by eliritch » 29 Jan 2007, 11:56

Our two labradors were going up 12 months before their first seasons - I think doodles will follow suite hopefully! I know none of our bitches we've bred have gone into season yet and they are coming up 7 months!

Hopefully everything will be ok then after the first season at least you have an idea of when to expect IT! Our two go in season within a week of each other - which my OH advices me is due to the pack instinct - evidently wild dogs and wolves go into season about the same time to help each other with the puppies! Bless!

Could have done with that when I had the boys! :oops: :lol:

joanpoke

Post by joanpoke » 29 Jan 2007, 21:34

Hi Lucy
Mia like all the others Mia was at least 10 months old. Also I think the dog usually bleeds for about 10 days and isn't interested in the male till after that, so you are given plenty of time to make sure she's safe.

Jo and Mia

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 29 Jan 2007, 23:08

Your bitch can come into season at any time from 5 months onwards although the likelihood is that it will be after 8 months. Get the Book of the Bitch from Amazon, not expensive and very useful. My present litter was from my bitch mated intentionally on day 8 and I know of litters from matings earlier than this.
ALWAYS visit the premises and see mum with pup. There are no excuses!
DONT BUY FROM PUPPY HARMERS

cades1066

re seasons

Post by cades1066 » 30 Jan 2007, 11:51

hi

i have a labradoodle bitch she is 10mths still no season i also have alabrador and her 1st season was at 10mths old then again at 17mths but her last season was 22mths old.

and she was ready for stud after 8days too. my terrier didnt have her season untill she was 10mths too then every six mths regular.
every dog is different like us but a way of telling if they are comming into season is there mammary glands stand out moreMammary gland swelling is a thickening, proliferation of tissue or a lump in the mammary glands (breasts) and in the surrounding tissue.
The mammary glands are comprised of two rows of subcutaneous (under the skin) glandular tissue around each nipple and are located on either side of the animal's ventral (underside) surface. The two rows extend from the area near the underarms to the inguinal region near the genitalia. Generally, there are five glands in each row. Swellings may occur in one or all of the glands
the swelling of the vulva doesnt start untill afew days into the season from start to finish its about three weeks as well but could be more or less.
well good luck we always put a pair of our daughters knickers on our dogs this helps and cut a hole for the tail.

doodlemad

Post by doodlemad » 30 Jan 2007, 19:16

Thanks for your help, especially re. the mammory glads (known as tits in our house :lol: ). I am definitely less worried about it and will be vigilant over the next few months.

Lucy & Marmite

cazels

seasons

Post by cazels » 31 Jan 2007, 21:11

Well I read this and thought Poppy is 9months old and no sign of a season yet. Went to bath children and one of them said "Poppy has sat on a spider and killed it". Further investigation revealed a spider with one leg missing but still walking and not squashed and a big blob of blood. :? Guess what - Poppy has just started her first season :!: No sign of hoards of boys running into the garden to visit thank goodness. She's on the lead for walks now though.