Pulling on leads

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Poll J

Pulling on leads

Post by Poll J » 07 Jan 2010, 14:28

Hello, I know this has been discussed a lot, and you all gave some very useful advice about Gentle Leaders vs Haltis vs Dogmatics vs harnesses etc. We couldn't get hold of the Dogmatic people over the New Year, and as we live on a steep hill, we had to do something in all the snow and ice. Anyway we were recommended the Canny Collar (I can't remember whether this has been mentioned in previous threads). and bought one to try it out. We have had quite a lot of success, so I thought I'd pass it on. Douglas absolutely hated having it on the first few times - in fact the first time he sort of threw himself on the floor and refused to move, so it was a bit like dragging a comatose puppy along. He still struggles a bit when we're putting it on, but we're all getting used to it. The main differences seem to be that the lead is attached at the back, rather than at the front as with other makes. I know that if it was at the front he'd probably be messing with it, trying to eat it etc. Also ir doesn't seem to cover so much of the head somehow. It's quite a neat design. it's all trial and error and personal taste, but thought I'm mention it anyway. I love all the snow pictures so am attaching another to add to the collection.[img][IMG]http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv24 ... 6-1312.jpg[/img][/img]

Poll J

Re: Pulling on leads

Post by Poll J » 07 Jan 2010, 14:34

Image[/img]

[/img]

Here it is - I hope - along with loads of other people I just can't seem to get the hang of this !!

Nicky

Post by Nicky » 07 Jan 2010, 14:55

Hi, yes the headcollars are brillant at stopping pulling :D

We used to use a halti collar but Dexter used to get the bit underneath in his mouth and fray it to bits! :lol:

So recently we ordered a leather dogmatic headcollar and it fits really well, we ordered off their web site they also do matching collars and leads!

Parker

Post by Parker » 07 Jan 2010, 16:04

I'm jumping on your bandwagon a bit here (sorry couldnt help it) but Nicky's piccy really reminded me of Parker last February on our only snow day, whilst on the beach, sporting his dogmatic headcollar (and paw print tag but its the other way round) so had to post it for comparison. (Sorry)

By the way, I'm glad the canny collar works for Douglas :)
Jo and Parker x
Image Image

lorrainemch77

Post by lorrainemch77 » 07 Jan 2010, 19:05

i have ordered a dogmatic collar...a pwb one???? no idea what it means and it was really hard to measure around his nose etc. im just praying it fits him...pretty sure i ordered a 3L size...i got a matching lead....we will be so posh 8)

currently use a pets at home one and can only say to anyone ...dont buy it! its more often in his eyes and he hates it!! Just waiting on my dogmatic one, ordered it a week so hopefully here soon

do the dogmatic collars work well??
Dogs make coming home a pleasure - every home should have one

Parker

Post by Parker » 07 Jan 2010, 20:09

I wouldn't be without mine (Parker would say otherwise :lol: ) but having said that, I haven't tried any other type of head collar.

PWB? Curious - not pcw? padded cushioned webbing. It will be interesting to see what you end up with!

A tip which we learned early on was to slip it on and off and don't keep undoing the strap. It's far too fiddly in the park when your dog really isn't keen to be wearing the contraption. Obviously introduce it as something wonderful that brings amazing treats. Dont push it to hard to soon. Oh, and good luck :)
Jo and Parker x
Image Image

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 07 Jan 2010, 20:35

I've just started using a check chain for Murphy, and if I put it right up by his ears he doesn't pull at all, although he has worked out that if he shakes his head he can move it down :roll:

We had a halti for our German Shepherd and it was brilliant, but in fairness to Murphy, he does walk really well 90% of the time, so I'm going to stick with the check chain for the time being.

Wendy x

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

eileenandmolly

Post by eileenandmolly » 07 Jan 2010, 20:43

I think I posted elsewhere to say that I eventually succumbed to a headcollar. I'd tried the halti for one of my girls, and didn't like it, nor did she .............and then bought the Gencon all-in-one head collar and lead for both my girls. The beauty of it to me and my girls is that a) it doesn't ride up like the halti, and b) it's removed when they're off lead, which I happen to think is great for their freedom, and also less risk than a dangling-type head-collar that could get caught on a low branch for instance.

Here's the link again in case anyone is interested

http://www.gencon-allin1.co.uk/

Mica1971

Post by Mica1971 » 07 Jan 2010, 21:08

I bought the Gencon for Marley - trying so hard to make it work without it though and I think we were getting there until allthis bloomin snow arrived. It's just easier if he is on his roving lead as he hardly pulls at all on that when out, until he realises we're going home again - still haven't worked out how he knows we are going hom but he does! :lol:

I think I will have to resort to it though because I do want to be able to walk him around the streets etc without him pulling like a husky! Once the snow is away I will give it a go and see how he gets on with it. He didn't like it when I tried it on him, but I'm sure when he realises it gets him lots of nice treats and outside he will get used to it.

Wendy, I tried the half check on Marley as you can see in his new picture but it pinched his neck and caused bruising, it's now relegated to the back of the drawer and he's got another nice new big boy collar (it's an inch wide!) :lol: :lol: Just wanted to make you aware.

'An idle mind is the devil's workshop.'
And the devil's name is Alzheimer's!

Parker

Post by Parker » 07 Jan 2010, 21:19

eileenandmolly wrote: b) it's removed when they're off lead, which I happen to think is great for their freedom, and also less risk than a dangling-type head-collar that could get caught on a low branch for instance.
Of course it must be emphasized that the dogmatic should be removed when the dog is off lead as, just as eileenandmolly has rightly said, it could become caught in bushes or another dog playing could catch their paw in it. Hence the handy tip to slip over the dog's ears and not undo the strap!
Jo and Parker x
Image Image

eileenandmolly

Post by eileenandmolly » 07 Jan 2010, 21:49

Parker wrote:
eileenandmolly wrote: b) it's removed when they're off lead, which I happen to think is great for their freedom, and also less risk than a dangling-type head-collar that could get caught on a low branch for instance.
Of course it must be emphasized that the dogmatic should be removed when the dog is off lead as, just as eileenandmolly has rightly said, it could become caught in bushes or another dog playing could catch their paw in it. Hence the handy tip to slip over the dog's ears and not undo the strap!
Sorry, Jo - had seen your earlier post with a pic with Parker with his headcollar on and no lead, and just assumed that you kept it on. I realise now you were just illustrating :) Sorry :oops:

lorrainemch77

Post by lorrainemch77 » 08 Jan 2010, 11:15

does it not stretch it and make it really loose if you just pull it off over his ears?? not that im doubtine the advice just checking to see if there is any chance of that happening....obviously i havent seen a dogmatic collar yet..still waiting on mine :(

think your right it is a padded web collar thingy....cant really mind now lol...all i know is it that its red and silver, lol
Dogs make coming home a pleasure - every home should have one

Parker

Post by Parker » 08 Jan 2010, 18:03

I've got the padded webbing one and it doesnt appear to have stretched. The metal loops have gone a bit superficially rusty from him being in the sea then wearing it home but that's all - its still in very good condition a year on from when we bought it. I dont know if a leather one may stretch but mine certainly hasn't. :D
Jo and Parker x
Image Image

linny

Post by linny » 08 Jan 2010, 18:24

I slip the head collar over the head too, it's too fiddly if your hands are cold or the Dood is bouncing about.
It hasn't stretched and a year on is wearing very well.
I'm always saying it but it was money well spent, walks became a pleasure :D where previously I was being dragged along or having my arm pulled from its socket. :roll:
I am looking forward to a new pup ..late Spring and will be training with Dogmatic.