Oh no ......trouble ahead!!!!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
roxie20

Oh no ......trouble ahead!!!!

Post by roxie20 » 07 Jan 2010, 23:53

Ruby Doody is now 6 months old and she has had the best 3 weeks of her life!!!

Her big brother and sister have both been home from University, Dad's been home too (longer than expected due to the snow) and we've had many many visitors over the last few weeks 4 nights of which friends have stopped over.

She's been for fabulous group walks most days, and basically she has been thoroughly thoroughly spoilt by everyone and anyone who has come her way!

So my problem is that on Saturday big brother and sister have to go back to Uni and Dad will hopefully get back to work properly on Monday(oh to have some routine back in my life!!)
However, I have already noticed that Ruby has started to whine and cry if left on her own for a matter of minutes in the last few days. Basically, there has been someone with her in the house 24/7 for the last 3 weeks and I am dreading next week........just wondered if anyone else is in the same boat and wether I just need to give her some tough love and ignore her or if anyone has some better advice?

Clairejen

Re: Oh no ......trouble ahead!!!!

Post by Clairejen » 08 Jan 2010, 00:25

I'm afraid tough love is often how it has to be, they can't have us with them every second, fun though it would be. Leon has started to squeak a bit too, attention seeking behaviour, because we are now both back at work and I am out a lot this week with pantomime. I tell him to shush when he squeaks, then when he has been quiet for a bit I'll play with him or we do some training which he loves.
Claire
slave of Leon & Sally
Image Image

LakeDistrictDoodle

Post by LakeDistrictDoodle » 08 Jan 2010, 09:41

Well I reckon Ruby deserves all the attention she has had :D :D :D I was off for quite sometime over Xmas / New Year and was dreading going back as I imagined Dorcas Doodle was going to be unhappy going back in the crate for my first day back (she wont need it soon!!) She was no problem when I put her in and I left a Kong stuffed with a few treats which caught her attention!. At lunchtime (I only work accross the road) I crept in and she was still chewing on the Kong and never even noticed me! Big fuss and walkies later she was back in, a little winge at first but same thing when I got home later, no problems!

I think the main problem is us! I fretted all morning imagining her crying and looking like an RSPCA poster all morning when in fact she was perfectly fine!. Without us all being able to use crates / leave alone for a few hours etc we wouldn't be able to have them and give them the loving home they need and Ruby clearly has a loving home / mum, she is very lucky! I passed a farm the other day and saw a working dog sat outside the farmhouse door in this cold!!! Some doggies are very lucky!

ATB

Dave Steph and Dorcas Doodle :)

p.s. any updated piccies of Ruby? Curious how big she is now :D
Me and Mummy

lorrainemch77

Post by lorrainemch77 » 08 Jan 2010, 11:10

same in our house too..now been someone home for 4 weeks and im now off for 2 weeks...after the summer holidays when we left Jack after 7 weeks off kids being off school he started becoming really destructive like eating cushions and carpets etc etc literally anything he could get his hands on he ate (well not hands but you get my drift, lol) this lasted for at least 4 or 5 weeks!

Thus, im dreading going back too.... so reading this post with interest....im thinking that maybe i should start putting him back in his crate for a few hours at a time and making a point in going out ..even if i need to go sit in my local morrisons cafe for hours!

i have dog kongs and must be doing it wrong cause it only takes them 2 seconds to get the treats! where am i going wrong??
Dogs make coming home a pleasure - every home should have one

peelm

Post by peelm » 08 Jan 2010, 11:14

Are you freezing the kongs?
Michael, Janet, Fozzie and Dylan

For all your pet portraits, visit :- http://www.theloudhouse.co.uk

LynneL

Post by LynneL » 08 Jan 2010, 11:25

Yes definately frozen, plugged with something cottage cheese, natural yoghurt or a bit of peanut butter or mashed banana etc.

Good luck :D

1877debbie

Post by 1877debbie » 08 Jan 2010, 12:03

we're having a similar problem we've been at home for about 3 weeks and now we're back at work when we get home he's being quite naughty jumping up and biting quite alot. Think some tough love is def in order, hopefully they'll all settle down soon :) x
Debbie & Hendrix

lorrainemch77

Post by lorrainemch77 » 08 Jan 2010, 13:01

jumping up is not good is it?? when a 40kgs dog jumps up it can be quite scary...jack always does that....no idea how to stop it, have tried everything...even making him sit or lie down before anyone comes in the door but he still goes mental.....so jumping up is not a new issue for me, lol

freezing the kong??? i only ever put the kong biscuit thingy in....can i actullay put other stuff in it??? sounds interesting will go see what i can rustle up....im a tad thick at times...i go into a shop buy stuff and the expensive stuff to go with it and never use my imagination! Can i even put liquid in it??
Dogs make coming home a pleasure - every home should have one

peelm

Post by peelm » 08 Jan 2010, 13:47

mix what ever dog treat you like with a bit of natural yog. Stick it the freezer for a couple of hours. THey love it. You can do it with conrned beef, peanut butter etc... I used to just chop some veg in to the yog and away you go.
Michael, Janet, Fozzie and Dylan

For all your pet portraits, visit :- http://www.theloudhouse.co.uk

claireand?

Post by claireand? » 08 Jan 2010, 14:43

I'm reading this with interest too.

Between hubbie and me we've been home since Olly became one of our family.
My plan once the kids had gone back to school this week was to get him used to being on his own for increasing periods before i return to work on 18th Jan, however illness and snow has meant i've had the kids home all week so it's been a disaster :)

I left him for a couple of hours this morn and he seems to have been fine, i crept back in and he was snoozing so thats good as i previously though he didn't relax whilst we were away as he was always tired after being left. He has his crate (that he's shut into at night) in a room off the kitchen so he has a bit of room to play in and his crate to sleep in. It's so hard, i was thinking about him the whole time i was away...worse than leaving the children :lol:

Will have to try the freezing kong thing as Olly seems to finish them in seconds!
Olly

susieQ

Post by susieQ » 08 Jan 2010, 16:19

lorrainemch77 wrote:jumping up is not good is it?? when a 40kgs dog jumps up it can be quite scary...jack always does that....no idea how to stop it, have tried everything...even making him sit or lie down before anyone comes in the door but he still goes mental.....so jumping up is not a new issue for me, lol
Haven't experienced this yet with Rosie as she's still young, but Harry was a nightmare at jumping up (ok, he's smaller but quite solid!) then he started to bark at people coming in (this was when he was a few years old). The best advice we had, and it works but can be a bit tough to do, was TOTALLY ignore him when you, and visitors too, come in, for about 5 minutes. I would ask visitors in advance to do this, or as they came in the door if unexpected. Then when he's quiet and they are seated, greet him then. It really does work. Its hard to do when they are jumping but if you stick at, no eye contact, keep turning away and get on with removing your coat, putting shopping away, etc it's worth it. Good luck!
Sue and Rosie

Tracycooper15

Post by Tracycooper15 » 08 Jan 2010, 16:55

Same story here, house full of folk for the past 3 weeks and now we are all back to life as normal, including Marmite (14 weeks) who is playing a guilt trip on me. Shes wimpering and howling when we leave or even move towards the door with coats on and no lead in hand.
I stood outside the back door for 10 minutes on Monday with my laptop bag and car keys on the way to work and felt a wrench as i listened to her cry, it didn't stop. I was brave and exercised tough love and left without re entering the house. Its starting to get better, i think. I even thought about a webcam so i can see from work what he's doing or reassure myself shes not howling for 3 hours at a time. This tough love business pulls at the heart strings! (The OH told me that was going OTT!!)
Marmite has an indoor run which come off her crate so it least shes not tearing the house apart in frustration of being left for a few hours.
Thanks for the info regarding freezing kongs, i shall be trying that. Anyone else got some good recipes for kong stuffing?

Santas little helper

roxie20

Post by roxie20 » 08 Jan 2010, 19:20

Ruby loves the ready-made Kong filling that you can buy at Pets at Home, it comes in a can and you spray it inside the Kong!

claireand?

Post by claireand? » 08 Jan 2010, 19:32

Olly does too, but it says to only use a teaspoonful, and with Oll's it's gone in 60 seconds :lol:

What do other people fill their kongs with?
Olly

Mica1971

Post by Mica1971 » 09 Jan 2010, 08:14

If I've been off Marley has a few days of being hyper when I get back home from work but he settles into the routine quite quickly. OH says he sat watching the door for a couple of days when I went back but he was still okay. As you say, it's just tough love required, she needs to get used to being on her own again and it will happen, just go about your routine as normal.

Marley loves his kongs too, his favourite is frozen yogurt but he also has cheese, meat paste, some of his ND, veg - never used the P@H stuff, think it's just an overpriced con.

Good luck, she will be fine.

'An idle mind is the devil's workshop.'
And the devil's name is Alzheimer's!