Story about a Labradoodle assistance dog in Perth

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
linny2

Story about a Labradoodle assistance dog in Perth

Post by linny2 » 08 Jan 2010, 03:41

Here's a story about a Labradoodle assistance dog in Perth:

http://www.perthshireadvertiser.co.uk/p ... -25459520/
Best wishes,
Linny, Buffy & Spike
Sign the pledge to stop puppy mills at http://action.humanesociety.org/site/Su ... EY_ID=1840

watto

Re: Story about a Labradoodle assistance dog in Perth

Post by watto » 08 Jan 2010, 04:56

Oh I got all excited then thinking it was my Perth here in Oz! I did meet a gorgeous black doodle guide dog puppy in training in the supermarket. My children were extremely embarrassed when I contrived to start up a conversation with the trainer!

Jo

linny

Post by linny » 08 Jan 2010, 07:57

What a great story Linny :)
It's a shame that Hope will not wear the purple jacket or be allowed access to shops as I'm sure the new owner would find this useful in his everyday life.....I wonder why this is not possible?
Does anyone know why ?..... Hope is an assistance dog after all.
A nice , happy story to start the day :D

KateW

Post by KateW » 08 Jan 2010, 12:04

Thanks for posting that story, Linny 2 :D It is very heartwarming and like Linny I am puzzled as to why Hope should not be allowed to enter shops,etc as a fully fledged assistance dog.....

I think I have mentioned before the fantastic dog we see in Truro taking items from the shelves in Marks and Spencer's food hall and placing them in the basket on his owner's lap. Tim saw this dog at Christmas; they were doing a big shop and the dog carried the full basket to the Customer Service desk, left it there, collected an empty basket and returned to his owner :) Incredible....

Somebody we know has a son who was recently in a terrible accident which has left him a quadriplegic and I showed him this page

http://www.spinal-injury.net/assistance-dog-tasks.htm

It is quite extraordinary the range of tasks a trained dog can accomplish.

Katherine
ImageImage

lorrainemch77

Post by lorrainemch77 » 08 Jan 2010, 13:08

lovely story...really good to read

i met a labradoodle assistance dog in the vet yesterday...was a guide dog...dont know how the guy managed to get the dog there as when the vet called his name he totally refused to move..dug his heels in and had to be dragged....was rather funny....i could just imagine his owner telling him to head to the vet and the dog thinking NO CHANCE am i going there but the poor sod had no choice but too take himself to the vet.....made everyone in the waiting room smile at how good dogs they really are.
Dogs make coming home a pleasure - every home should have one

linny

Post by linny » 08 Jan 2010, 14:30

They are such good Dogs so no surprise that they are coming into their own as assistance dogs.
Ambrose has always helped unload the washer or drier and like Rufus he knows the difference when I ask for a particular toy. He is also an expert at opening doors and taking the telephone off the hook when it rings :roll: (not altogether helpful but he thinks it is :lol: )
Edited to say Ambrose loved going to the Vet until his castration....since that time the minute we turn onto Powderham Road (where the surgery is) he sits and won't budge, I carry him the last few yards :roll:
It just proves how clever they are :lol: :lol: he's nobody's fool.

Pippin

Post by Pippin » 08 Jan 2010, 16:56

That's lovely, I am glad it's Perth here as that's just up the road from us! :D It's sad that the doodle isn't going to be allowed into shops etc, here we have Guide Dogs and Hearing Dogs in shops and cafes, don't see the difference really, wonder if it's down to the individual Councils or the shops themselves?
ImageImage

Puppies should be warm clean and well, walk away if they are not.

http://www.dashingdoodles.co.uk/

KateW

Post by KateW » 08 Jan 2010, 22:29

Pippin wrote:That's lovely, I am glad it's Perth here as that's just up the road from us! :D It's sad that the doodle isn't going to be allowed into shops etc, here we have Guide Dogs and Hearing Dogs in shops and cafes, don't see the difference really, wonder if it's down to the individual Councils or the shops themselves?
Neither; it is covered by the Disability Discrimination Act which means that all properly accredited Assistance Dogs have a right of access to all public places when they are with their human :D

We have always welcomed all dogs on a lead into the bookshop and have never had a problem with any of them.

Katherine
ImageImage

Adam Lindley

Post by Adam Lindley » 10 Jan 2010, 23:28

The difference is that Canine Partners appear to have chosen not to accredit the dood as an Assistance Dog, but as a Companion animal.

Under DDA, any animal that is suitably trained and identified is recognised as an Assistance Animal and is allowed into most public places if it alleviating the affect of the disability.

Maybe there is some further training to be completed.