Don't have two dogs

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
stardoodle

Don't have two dogs

Post by stardoodle » 22 Jan 2010, 18:42

If you can't control them :evil: :evil: :evil:

Just been out for our evening walk down the marshes.

Doodles does have nearly spot on recall so I do let him off the lead and for some reason he doesn't go very far and does know the stop command.

We were approaching a bend down the marshes so I recalled him as I didn't know if anyone was round the other side of it.

He came and stood right up to me so I gave him a treat. I then said "near" which means he can go off a tad but not run off so say he is about 4 feet ahead of me.

We saw a bloke (well the amber glow of a cigarette) to be precise coming towards us so I recalled him and put him in a stay watch me position.

A bloke had two HUGE red Setter dogs who were just not under control. One started pulling towards my dog and the owner did correct to be fair.

He PURPOSELY came to us to walk up to us and round so I told my dog to stay and watch me which he did impeccibly. Then the bloke PURPOSELY let one of his dogs go up to mine. I had never met this bloke before so I was a tad unsure about my dog just being released with the "go greet" command (he was off lead)

The bloke said "Oh they are fine just a tad skitty as shots are being fired" Down our marshes there is a rifle something or other to do with the army or something. So you do hear shots.

Suddenly a shot echoed out and one of the dogs went ballistic IN FRONT OF MY DOG. Then of course the other one joined in right in my dogs direction.

I grabbed my dogs collar and put him behind me and told the bloke get your dog under control before I do do something. I would do something to another dog if mine was in danger SORRY but I would.

He obviously wasn't impressed my dog was so well behaved and tried to blame me "what are you doing out at this time we have never met you before we come out at this time"

What are you real I am sorry do you own this fireld NO

I then walked off with my dog under control and he purposely folloWed me I was a tad annoyed as my dog was perfectly under control
He then purposely walked past me to get infront so his dogs were going ballistic so I had to put my dog on the lead as he could go infront.

It really ruined our walk.

Why don't people who have and walk two dogs make sure can control them reasonably

if not walk them seperately grrr

They were also being walked on CHOKE CHAINS so can you imagine what their poor throats are like

tashanlouie

Re: Don't have two dogs

Post by tashanlouie » 22 Jan 2010, 18:58

Im one of those who probably can't control there dogs as well as I should but if I see anther dog we do not know they always go on the lead.
I feel sorry for his dogs being scared of the shot but he should have put them on the lead
Tasha

stardoodle

Post by stardoodle » 22 Jan 2010, 19:08

Sorry hun

My post did sound a tad aggressive I am just tired and peed off as it really ruined our walk.

I am not having a go at people who have two dogs. Dogs running up to mine isn't a problem I do all I can to help.

BUT

There is a difference when you know

a) your dog is not under control in a dangerous aggressive manner

b) your dogs are terrified of shots which he admitted.

That is a recipie for diseaster and a bomb to go off.

If I knew my dog was terrified of gun shots and bangs I would not allow him to go up to ANY dog. When scared dogs can react and bahve in an unpredictable manner as is what happened.

The dog was going ballistic barking and snarling and lunging in my dogs face, he doesn't need that and nor do I. Then the other one joined in as a second dog will often do.

My dog was attacked by a Jack Russell in the Summer a woman had no control over that dog and it can to my dog and clung on to its ear and face and refused to let go.

I just worry that the more encounters he has with stupid moronic owners that can't control their potentially aggressive dogs what will he go like. Last tihng I want is for him to turn aggressive especially if he is to start his assistance dog training.

tashanlouie

Post by tashanlouie » 22 Jan 2010, 20:01

Its ok I didn't take it too seriousy :lol:

I know how you feel as the othher day a woman let her yorkie run up to my 2 when they were on the lead, Louie can be a bit snappy when on lead so I had him on one side barking away and Daisy on other side wanting to play :evil:
She could see I was struggling but didn't say anything, just laughed and caried on walking!
Tasha

Bella

Post by Bella » 22 Jan 2010, 23:27

This guy sounded like he was out to annoy you rather than be concerned about his dogs behaviour :(

Today we came back to a report from the walker that Mabel approached a large brown dog, ran around it barking, and would not come back. Anyone that saw that would think she is out of control but nothing like that has ever happened before. The walker thinks Mabel misinterpreted the dogs "come and play" bark and because it was a large light brown dog that looked very like the one that attacked her several months ago, there were underlying issues.

It's something we have to keep an eye on but on behalf of all owners out there whose dogs have mental moments, I do apologise :oops: I think the real problem in your case was the owner though, not the dogs. he sounds like a right muppet.

Clare

Post by Clare » 23 Jan 2010, 09:40

When you say "ballistic" what do you mean do you mean they were attacking your dog? Do you let your dog play with other dogs or not? I find the different attitudes of dog walkers very confusing. Some seem more than happy for dogs to play together and some just don't seem to want their dogs to play with other dogs at all. I admit that I do not have my dog under 100% control but she has never shown any aggression towards another dog and really loves to chase. Most owners I met don't have a problem with this and most dogs I see seem to be the same. Should I stop her approaching other dogs?

Clare and Pebbles

oops!

Post by oops! » 23 Jan 2010, 23:10

My dood reacts differently to various dogs we meet.He is very friendly but each time he sees a certain border collie ,even just passing her in the car he barks.He never does this to any other dogs we pass.There is also an un-neutered bedlington that barks and he retaliates.We meet so many dogs everyday but these are the only 2 that cause a problem.I cannot say I have my dog completely under control either because of this unpredictability in case he meets a dog that he doesnt like.I would also say that until you have experienced having two large dogs and walking them out at the same time, you cant really begin to understand the effect they have on one another.I had 2 doodles and had to rehome one because of the way they would get so 'wired' and unruly when walked together.It was a nightmare and I was very upset that I had tried everything to train them but it all went pear shaped when they were together on a walk.One dog on their own is a totally different scenario ,and much easier to keep under control.I would avoid those dogs and go the opposite way next time perhaps?!Donna.
Donna.

ASK FOR EYE TEST CERTIFICATES WHEN CHOOSING A PUPPY.

julie.caplin

Post by julie.caplin » 25 Jan 2010, 16:04

I must agree with Clare. Is your dog allowed to play with other dogs and have fun. You do seem to be very rigid in your training maybe other dogs pick up on your feelings

trinared

Post by trinared » 25 Jan 2010, 19:25

I have the same question as Clare. Should he not run up to other dogs at all? I try not to let Marley run up to dogs I dont know but if he sees them first I cant stop him and I have been to no end of training classes and tried everything that has been suggested to improve recall. Fortunately he has never shown aggression.People can be taken aback because he is big but generally I find that other dog owners are happy enough especially when they see I am trying to get him back.
Marley and Duffy