A new perspective

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
itsmeisitu2

Post by itsmeisitu2 » 07 Feb 2007, 14:19

hope we do get some snow tomorrow, i cant wait to see my doodle poodle and retriever playin outside in it :-) hope theres lots of it as well.

claire fifi

Post by claire fifi » 07 Feb 2007, 14:27

Yep - Muppet played in the snow when it arrived briefly 2 weeks ago, but the forecasters reckon it will be a much more substantial fall this time - Great for anyone not travelling !

I hope that it won't stop me getting Muppet to the vet for her 2nd jab as I'm planning on taking her to the Richmond MESS on sunday ! Hooray :lol:
Claire and Muppet Image
------------------------------------------

http://www.labradoodle-rescue.com

itsmeisitu2

Post by itsmeisitu2 » 07 Feb 2007, 14:31

its exciting going to love it if it does :-)

gilly39

Post by gilly39 » 07 Feb 2007, 15:11

Mmmm off to Stratford for the weekend ... hope we get there and dont get stranded!!

claire fifi

Post by claire fifi » 07 Feb 2007, 15:32

Which one Gilly ? Stratford on/upon Avon would be a great place to get stranded ! All those tea rooms...yum! :lol:

I can understand why you would not want to get stranded in east London...
Claire and Muppet Image

gilly39

Post by gilly39 » 07 Feb 2007, 15:39

Stratford Upon Avon... It's where we got engaged... and we go back every year... (all together now ahhhhhh)

Mind you, been engaged for over 5 years now with no sign of a wedding ring! Mmmm me thinks I've been duped!!

Sharon

Post by Sharon » 07 Feb 2007, 17:07

Sharon wrote:Off topic I know but as it is Carole's thread, here goes ...

When I took my st poodle Daisy and Cavalier Hannah for eye screening on Monday, the opthalmic vet told me there have been 6 cases of PRA in standard poodles - one here, and five in the States .... never been seen in the standard before ... he seemed concerned that this was going to become a wider problem within the breed - he blamed the breeders for it too for line breeding too closely etc. (common breeding practice amongst show breeders).

With so many health probs in your breed to address Carole I amazed you haven't got your work cut out over on the standard poodle forum educating poodle owners/breeders .... I know the breed has a welfare officer but surely the more st poodle ppl out there dedicating their time to educating owners of the breed, the better.
Forgot to say that the vet told me that the PRA seen in STANDARD poodles is not the same form that affects the TOYS/MINIATURES.

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 07 Feb 2007, 17:11

Hi Gilly39
Could be worse... I was married for 30 years before we got engaged, the ring-thing never quite happened all those years ago!
ALWAYS visit the premises and see mum with pup. There are no excuses!
DONT BUY FROM PUPPY HARMERS

Barb

Post by Barb » 07 Feb 2007, 17:27

Sharon wrote:Forgot to say that the vet told me that the PRA seen in STANDARD poodles is not the same form that affects the TOYS/MINIATURES.
Which is why Standard Poodles are now tested for "Breed Related Multiocular Defects" instead of just HC.

Sharon

Post by Sharon » 07 Feb 2007, 18:20

Barb wrote:
Sharon wrote:Forgot to say that the vet told me that the PRA seen in STANDARD poodles is not the same form that affects the TOYS/MINIATURES.
Which is why Standard Poodles are now tested for "Breed Related Multiocular Defects" instead of just HC.

Can't find that on my certificate of eye examination. Why not test for GPRA ?

It only lists (abbreviations to save time):

CEA GPRA
MRD CPRA
TRD HC
CHC PLL
PHPV
PPM
G

The only box ticked "unaffected" for Daisy was the HC one. All other defects had a line through them as if n/a.(in the inherited eye disease status)

Perhaps I am missing something.

Oh there are also unaffected ticks in the examination of eye and adnexa bit. Maybe that is what you are referring to. :?
Nevertheless,I wasn't making the comment in relation to the eye screening - I was saying it as it is another potential problem for the breed.

Barb

Post by Barb » 07 Feb 2007, 18:31

It's relatively new and is tested under the Schedule B scheme. Yours was probably done under the Schedule A scheme.
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/310

LouBeale

Post by LouBeale » 07 Feb 2007, 18:36

Carole g wrote:Havent ignored you Ive been out at agilty.
Do you have anything positive to say about Labradoodles? YES.. they are just dogs. Ive owned and loved a great many dogs of many breeds and none.

Do you like them? 3 yes 2 no. ,I dont really regard them as a breed YET but as individuals. Anyway, all dogs have their own personality.

As for pictures, some look to me, as a groomer, very like the unclipped but well brushed poodles that come for clipping off after a long gap and some look like slightly hairy labrador, some are inbetween. The Aussie multigens look much more like a breed to me.

As for opinions, everyone loves their own dog and if they didnt I couldnt like that person. (probably like the dog though!)
Thank you for your reply. I wasn't trying to start any bickering, it was purely a question, because you have become quite involved with this forum. Many value your expertise and experience, but sometimes it is helpful to know whether the person giving advice/opinions is doing so because they love the breed or for other reasons.

I apologise if anybody has taken offence to the questions asked, there was none intended.

claire fifi

Post by claire fifi » 07 Feb 2007, 18:43

Carole g wrote:Hi Gilly39
Could be worse... I was married for 30 years before we got engaged, the ring-thing never quite happened all those years ago!
Carole, I hope it was worth the wait (or weight :lol: ).

I made Steve buy me a new wedding ring last year because I had put on weight and the old ring no longer fitted and also, the old one was too boring !

I'm still waiting for the 10th anniversary ring that I hinted at - he got me Muppet instead :wink:
Claire and Muppet Image

terry

Post by terry » 07 Feb 2007, 19:19

plesae leave jade alone she is not racist and to prove it she is buying a colour television.

hope this don,t offend anyone

terry

Sharon

Post by Sharon » 07 Feb 2007, 19:21

Barb wrote:It's relatively new and is tested under the Schedule B scheme. Yours was probably done under the Schedule A scheme.
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/310
ok, thanks. Schedule B is the under investigation one. She must have been done under the Schedule A scheme. Never mind.