carpet and doods

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Rhonk

carpet and doods

Post by Rhonk » 27 Feb 2010, 11:39

hello!

We are decorating our house at the moment (we moved into one that needed EVERYTHING doing to it). We have re-configured the downstairs of the house, so instead of a long thin lounge diner it is now (or nearly) a lounge and kitchen diner. Part of the reason for this was because it fitted in with pets - having the back of the house all tiled etc made sense. We were planning on carpeting the lounge, mainly because now it is blocked off from everywhere else (you used to be able too get into it from the back of the house/ kitchen etc) but now we aren't sure..... although we hoover there is still dirt etc on the rug we've temporarily put in the lounge....

What does everyone else do?? I'd prefer not to restrict Bonzo to certain areas of the house (although i do keep him in the kitchen until he's dried off from a muddy walk) - plus, if i'm honest i'm too lazy to clean his paws every time he comes in from the garden.... Does anyone else have carpet and did you choose a special dood proof one, or are you just all amazing and keeping things clean???? I have noooooooo idea!!!

MUMMYBUCK

Re: carpet and doods

Post by MUMMYBUCK » 27 Feb 2010, 11:56

oh yeah I'm amazing I just clean from the moment I get up till the moment I go to bed. You'll never catch me with an untidy house. My kids all hang up their coats, put their bags away and keep their rooms tidy. Meg isnt lying in front of me full of mud ripping a teddy to bits. Sorry is that a lie or a dream?
I just gave up and think love me love my messy house I dont think you can have a dog and not allow it in the room where you sit at night. Luckily we have a leather settee so that wipes clean and when the carpet is full of dog hairs I vac. If I tried to be house proud I think I would be screaming about the mess with a dog and a coal fire Im sorry I am no help
mummybuck and MegImage

linny

Post by linny » 27 Feb 2010, 12:02

I gave up on carpet years ago and have wooden floors with washable slip mats.
The kitchen is quarry tiles, the sofas leather, and the colour :lol: scheme anything that blends with mud. :lol:

sally cinnamon

Post by sally cinnamon » 27 Feb 2010, 12:10

Our kitchen is floorboarded and the living room is blue carpet, (we private rent the house so we cant do too many changes) I bought a majic carpet (one of those JML jobbies) and put it inside the door to catch some of Teds mucky pawprints. Ted being Ted is considerate and steps over the damn thing as not to dirty it :lol: We also have one at the bottom of the stairs where he likes to lay and that one has saved many a wet dog patch and smell cus you can wash them regulary.

You just cant have a pristene home and a dog unless you encourage an OCD for cleaning. :shock:

trinared

Post by trinared » 27 Feb 2010, 12:15

We have a light coloured beigey/cream carpet throughout (except kitchen of course) and slightly darker fabric sofas. We have a gate between the kitchen and lounge so we can clean their paws before they go in, and we hoover every day as Marley does shed a lot of black hair.
The sofa covers are washable but we've only had to do that once when Marley had poorly tum (wont go into details yuk).
We are trying to sell the house at the moment so need to keep it clean and smelling lovely for viewing.
It is more of an effort in this horrible wet weather (our garden is a mud pit) and Duffy is only 14 weeks so we do have the odd accident but really isnt much effort at all. All we do is make sure paws are clean and dry. We have a big towel inside the back door to blot up most of it and then a quick check before they are let in and job done. No problems.
Marley and Duffy

Clairejen

Post by Clairejen » 27 Feb 2010, 13:34

We just live in chaos, mud and dog hairs. Our kitchen is quarry tiled, but the front door from the living room leads straight onto the street with only a recessed doormat between them. We do wipe Leon's feet etc with towels, and we have throws on the sofas, upstairs bedrooms are out of bounds in the daytime.

I think it's a lifestyle choice for us, we'd rather have our dog happy and with us than bother about what visitors think, if they don't like it they needn't visit.
Claire
slave of Leon & Sally
Image Image

KateW

Post by KateW » 27 Feb 2010, 13:56

We have got rid of carpets everywhere except our smaller sitting/tv room at the top of the house. A great relief as they never looked at their best with the debris from a large parrot (not poo, he is housetrained :D ) and sand/mud. Our kitchen and main sitting room are on the first floor and so the stair carpet has also been removed as it was becoming a dangerous menace with sand going right into the fibres. It was being vacuumed so often it was slippy; we are experimenting atm with floor paint but are finding it takes ages to dry :roll: We are lucky not to have neighbours as of course it is noisier without carpet especially on the stairs.

I think a lot depends on the layout of the house; our house in London had an extremely long corridor and the whole of the ground floor had parquet flooring ( lifted from an old gym) which was very forgiving :) By the time our then dog reached the main sitting room on the first floor she was comparitively clean and we did have carpet in there. However we also had a daily cleaner and I suspect that is part of the secret :lol:

The main thing at home is to be relaxed and it is awful to have to keep worrying about things (although I was sad when the parrot killed my sofa and some rather nice dining chairs :( :shock: )

Katherine
ImageImage

lizziesmum

Post by lizziesmum » 27 Feb 2010, 14:06

Im with the wooden floors,leather settee gang.The whole house has been made dood friendly.The very best thing I had done was a solid joiner made bench,its attached to the back wall,its just wide enough for her to stand on and about one and half times her length and just the right height to groom her without bending.It works a treat. Freda

Jayne & Richard

Post by Jayne & Richard » 27 Feb 2010, 14:08

We have carpet everywhere but the kitchen and I must say I can't wait to get rid of it! It has been cleaned so many times but is such a mess. While I'm writing this it has patches of mud and a shredded milk carton with dribbles of milk that Monty had great fun grabbing and destroying :roll: Cleanable floors with a rug that can easily be replaced would win with me everytime :D

Bid

Post by Bid » 27 Feb 2010, 14:40

We have had the whole ground floor tiled, and have some machine washable rugs in the living room. We do have to have non slip mats at all corners though, because Daisy & Barn really shouldn't slip too often. The tiles are great, but I've yet to find a decent way to clean the grout other than on hands and knees with a scrubbing brush :roll:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Rhonk

Post by Rhonk » 27 Feb 2010, 14:53

i think that's decision made!!!
Clairejen wrote: I think it's a lifestyle choice for us, we'd rather have our dog happy and with us than bother about what visitors think, if they don't like it they needn't visit.
This sounds completely like us.... we aren't filthy but bonzo and the cats are part of the family and part of what makes our house home - we certainly know some people who can't quite cope with it!!!! (pub always makes a good meeting place!)
sally cinnamon wrote: You just cant have a pristene home and a dog unless you encourage an OCD for cleaning. :shock:
Yep - i'm with that!!
Bonzo will always be in the same room as us - and we wouldn't want it any other way.... Think we'll go and look at wooden/ laminate/ NON CARPET floors this afternoon :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Good to know that others design their house around the dog too :lol: :lol: :lol:

trinared

Post by trinared » 27 Feb 2010, 14:59

Ours also go everywhere in the house with us and we wouldn't have it any other way. They are part of the family of course. I think ours would do themselves an injury sliding on laminate the way they tear about as they are used to carpets now. Carpets are easy to keep clean.
Marley and Duffy

Barneyboy

Post by Barneyboy » 27 Feb 2010, 15:23

I'm sticking with my (fortunately) doodle coloured carpets. We have ceramic tiles in the kitchen which will be going as soon as possible and be replaced with lino. My elderly Sprollie who had to be put to sleep last year really struggled on any surface other than carpet because as she got older she didn't have the muscle strength to walk on slippery surfaces. I've seen a lot of dogs really struggle with laminate floors I'm afraid :(

Nicky

Post by Nicky » 27 Feb 2010, 15:32

We are lucky our garden leads into a tiled utility area with a door and then the tiled kitchen. I have a couple of those JML magic mats in the utility room and the key word for Dexter is paddy paws lol! and he paces back and forward a couple of times to get the mud off :roll: :lol:

My sister has laminate and that seems to need just as much cleaningand seems to show dirt more than carpet. We have a beige carpet in the lounge with flecks of darker browns and this works really well at not showing marks!

I was dreading the winter mud as this was our forst dog but it has been ok

groover

Post by groover » 27 Feb 2010, 15:47

trinared wrote:We have a light coloured beigey/cream carpet throughout (except kitchen of course) and slightly darker fabric sofas. We have a gate between the kitchen and lounge so we can clean their paws before they go in, and we hoover every day as Marley does shed a lot of black hair.
The sofa covers are washable but we've only had to do that once when Marley had poorly tum (wont go into details yuk).
We are trying to sell the house at the moment so need to keep it clean and smelling lovely for viewing.
It is more of an effort in this horrible wet weather (our garden is a mud pit) and Duffy is only 14 weeks so we do have the odd accident but really isnt much effort at all. All we do is make sure paws are clean and dry. We have a big towel inside the back door to blot up most of it and then a quick check before they are let in and job done. No problems.
we have a similar set up and paw cleaning routine.
it works well for us and i will be sticking with carpet as Herbie almost does himself a mischief every time i take him to my mums. (she has laminate flooring in her hall and he goes down on it everytime)

xxx

in a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog