Castration

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Tigerlivvie

Castration

Post by Tigerlivvie » 04 Mar 2010, 20:36

Hi,
My dog is going in for the 'op' tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone has got any pre or post op advice to help him out!
Thanks

groover

Re: Castration

Post by groover » 04 Mar 2010, 21:13

Just wanted to wish your boy good luck for tomorrow.
My advice would be to take your cue from him and how he seems when you get him home. All dogs are different( mine was bouncing off the Walls of the vet when he was picked up and you'd never have known he had anything done) I think a lot depends on how much recovery time they have between the op and getting picked up. ( I'm sure herbie was done in the morning and as he wasn't picked up till 5pm, he was fighting fit) so don't worry if he's a bit sleepy and shaky, it probably just means his op was done later.

I'm sure he'll be just fine

xxx

in a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 04 Mar 2010, 21:28

Hi.
Dylan was kept at vets a bit longer as his BP was low and he took a little longer to wake up. He was very sleepy and didn't eat or drink the evening we got him home so don't worry if this happens.
The next day he was almost back to normal. The difficult time is when they have recovered fully from anesthetic but csn't go out off the lead .... very frustrating as energy levels rose day by day. We had lots of games in the garden and made use of the time to do more training.. !! [me thinks sometimes not long enough!!]
The wound was quite swollen but went down quite quickly but I expect vet will explain that to you.
I know how you feel .... it'll be over before you know it. i made use of the day to do jobs that I had been putting off.

Maddy
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 04 Mar 2010, 22:18

SOrry - no help here - Barney's op was years ago. I just wanted to wish him well for tomorrow.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

kiwi&dood

Post by kiwi&dood » 05 Mar 2010, 18:20

Ours was done in Feb. It was fine. We live near the vet and so I walked to collect him assuming that he would be too sore to jump into the car - didnt think much about the walk home being painful!! Opps. He walked really slowly, bit like a cowboy and then crouching down bless him!!

We got given a collar but he never wore it. He ate and drank fine and by about day 3 you would never know he'd had anything done.

The only thing to be aware of is that Dylan reacted to the painkiller and antibiotics that went into his neck, he wasnt ill or anything but did come up in a big bump (you may have seen my worried post on here!) so just something to keep an eye on.

Oh and when I dropped him off my eyes filled up!! Good luck!
Kiwi&dood

Dylan

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 05 Mar 2010, 19:07

Hope all went ok today.

Murphy is booked in for 12th April, so its interesting to read posts like this.

Wendy x

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mica1971

Post by Mica1971 » 06 Mar 2010, 10:09

Marley is booked in for 6th April - why do I feel like the bid bad witch? I honestly feel awful! As for eyes filling up when dropping him off, I just need to think about it and I fill up - like now! I know I'm a big soppy mare but jeez, this is awful!

'An idle mind is the devil's workshop.'
And the devil's name is Alzheimer's!