The Lyke Wake Walk, Yorkshire.

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
annabanana

The Lyke Wake Walk, Yorkshire.

Post by annabanana » 06 Mar 2010, 16:09

Hi Everyone,

I have been roped into doing the Lyke Wake Walk across the North Yorkshire Moors to raise funds for charity. This is a 40 mile walk that has to be done in 24 hours. We are planning to have four breaks and have a suupport team (thanks hubbys) to bring us food and clean socks etc- so not that bad really. Now my question is - Do you think Willow could manage this? She will be just over 2 years old and is a doodle with oodles of energy. She will be the only dog in the party so there won't be any full on playing and chasing around, just more of a steady plod. Bearing in mind that I am 40 years old on Monday (!) and not the fittest person in the world I am thinking if I can manage it so can she!

Answers on a postcard please!

KateW

Re: The Lyke Wake Walk, Yorkshire.

Post by KateW » 06 Mar 2010, 18:58

Happy 40th birthday for Monday :D

The walk sounds great but I don't know what kind of terrain we're talking about here. I think a lot depends on the level of exercise Willow normally takes. Are you planning to do 4 ten mile stretches? Maybe she could have a break with your support team.....The difference between us and dogs is that we can say straightaway if it gets too much whereas a dog will be eager to please and carries on regardless.

I walk with Rufus for between six and ten miles every morning; of course he covers a greater distance because of playing, swimming, etc and then he has a shorter walk in the afternoon for about an hour. His other walks are short ones first and last thing plus accompanying me to the bank, etc.
He is usually tired in the evening :lol:

Katherine
ImageImage

annabanana

Re: The Lyke Wake Walk, Yorkshire.

Post by annabanana » 06 Mar 2010, 19:40

I'm not sure of the terrain either. Willow is in training with me so we are covering about 6 miles a day and at least 10 miles at the weekend. My husband is in the support team so he can take her at one of our stops if need be. To be honest I think the weather will have alot to do with it as we are doing this at the end of June.

Has anyone else been mad enough to do this?