Is it bad to feed them canned food ?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
marsi

Is it bad to feed them canned food ?

Post by marsi » 13 Mar 2010, 17:08

Hi there

Following on from when we got Charlie he still isn't eating properly. I have now resorted to giving him canned food and he can't get it down quick enough. I mix it in with Burns dry but he just eats round it. Is it bad for him to have canned food ? I don't want him to go hungry and after nearly a week of not eating i have to do something.

Marsi

KateW

Re: Is it bad to feed them canned food ?

Post by KateW » 13 Mar 2010, 17:19

Just replied on your other thread, Marsi and said

" Oh dear.....Well, Rufus has Nature Diet, Nature's Menu, Nature's Harvest and Forthglade as part of his diet. He has raw meat, veg, etc some of the time. I have never offered him complete but we did have a little terrier to stay for a couple of nights recently who is used to free feeding her dried kibble. I was a bit worried about leaving this down for the dog to help herself as I thought Rufus would gobble it down but he completely ignored it......

I don't know much about the mass market canned foods but in my opinion they are likely to be no worse than the dried equivalent........"

Katherine
ImageImage

ebug99

Post by ebug99 » 13 Mar 2010, 17:35

The only canned food I have ever used is Chappie, because i remember someone on one of the boards saying it was easy to digest and so good for after tummy troubles.

I would imagine, like dried complete, there are good and bad ones.

My 2 have Nature Diet (which comes in trays) and they love it ! (I used to feed Teddy raw for his evening meal but since having 2 I jut found it easier this way. However, now we're in a routine again I will probably re-introduce SOME raw back into their diets)

I can give you the benefit of my not-so-expert opinion on Monday !

Liz x
xxxXX Teddy & Harvey XXxxx

jags

Post by jags » 13 Mar 2010, 19:16

i think if it suits him and he likes it then feed it him, i have never fed canned stuff so i dont know which are the better ones??

i do feed natures diet sometimes so i would recomend it and see if he likes it :)
Last edited by jags on 13 Mar 2010, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.

Mica1971

Post by Mica1971 » 13 Mar 2010, 19:16

I totally know where you are coming from. Not long after we got Marley he wouldn't eat anything considered good and I had to resort to giving him another tinned food with something like 4% meat in it. He ate it of course, but I likened it to giving kids McDonalds, they would eat it all the time if we let them. So I gradually introduced raw and nature diet. Now he is mostly on Nature Diet but gets wainrights, natures harvest, natures menu and the new asda one natuarlise as a mix in between because he quickly gets bored.

Hope Charlie settles soon x

'An idle mind is the devil's workshop.'
And the devil's name is Alzheimer's!

Clare

Post by Clare » 13 Mar 2010, 19:27

What would be the difference between Natures Diet in a tray and canned food? Both are prepacked and precooked!

Clare and Pebbles

Cherryblossom

Post by Cherryblossom » 13 Mar 2010, 19:36

Clare wrote:What would be the difference between Natures Diet in a tray and canned food? Both are prepacked and precooked!

I think its the quality of the ingredients Clare. I was shocked when I looked at the meat content of a tin of Pedigree dog food - 4%!! :shock: The rest was cereals and other unnecessary additives. Nature Diet is something like 60% meat (off the top of my head). It also has rice and veg and ground bone, so all good quality ingredients, no nasty additives and fillers. :D

Good luck Marsi, hope you can get Charlie's food sorted. :)

Bid

Post by Bid » 13 Mar 2010, 19:42

Imo wet dog food - canned or in pouches varies as much as dried - there are good ones and not so good ones, and again it all very much depends on what you can afford. The ones I use when camping or visiting friends are Naturediet or Burns tinned food.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Leah

Post by Leah » 13 Mar 2010, 21:09

I didn't realise what a minefield all this dog food could be! I am far from being an expert but our family dog was fed on tinned Chappie and scraps of left over meat etc and lived to the age of 19 with never a days illness. He was also the most lovely natured intelligent and happy dog even as an 'old man'!
Hope this reassures you a bit!

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 14 Mar 2010, 09:16

Murphy isn't that keen on his dried food, so I've resorted to mixing in 1/4 of a tin of canned dog food in with it. I just buy Tesco's premium dog food, and work on the basis that the Arden Grange he has with it is very good and he only has such a small amount of canned food each time that I don't worry too much.

Wendy x

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

lizzie tb

Post by lizzie tb » 14 Mar 2010, 10:03

I think if Charlie likes it and it's not affecting him in any way then I'd feed him it. Like Leah, our family dogs were fed on Chappie and left overs and our poodle lived till 14, red setter 13.

I tried Natures diet with Toby and he got the runs so I haven't bothered since, he's fine with Orijen so I'm sticking to it.

Thinking about it I might try some Chappie as it was always recommended by our vets for delicate tummies.

dave.bradley

Post by dave.bradley » 14 Mar 2010, 15:02

My vet told me that Chappie is fine he feeds it to his dogs. :)
Dave & Julie & Teddy !

cathox

Post by cathox » 14 Mar 2010, 15:39

We had to give Lottie some canned meat to make her eat the dried food but changed the dried food to royal canin and she eats it dry and loves it. so maybe try a different brand of dry food. We asked the vet about it all and she said the main problem with cans is you have to give them so much of it compared to dry to get the same calories etc that they need.

marsi

Post by marsi » 14 Mar 2010, 20:54

Thanks for all the reassurance. I bought him a can with gravy today and covered all his dry food in it and the little sod still left them behind ! I'll see if i can get a small bag of a different dry food and see how we go. I don't want to stick with cans as apart from anything else it is very expensive. I'll just have to keep trying.

Thanks again what would i do without you !

Marsi

Bid

Post by Bid » 14 Mar 2010, 21:20

I'm definitely not an expert on feeding, but one thing I have learned, is that neither are vets! :o Mine have freely admitted it. When I consulted them (i.e. told them :roll: ) about the raw food diet I was feeding they said they refer all feeding matters to a dietician.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron