Raw Diet

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
corndolly

Raw Diet

Post by corndolly » 19 Mar 2010, 17:15

Hello
What raw diet do you feed to your doodles.
Do you just feed raw diet or do you mix it with kibble.
How much approx in weight do you feed in raw diet.
Do you cook or warm any of the meats through first.
Do you add any supplements with the meal such as garlic.
What would you say the benfits are.
Many thanks for any replys

jags

Re: Raw Diet

Post by jags » 19 Mar 2010, 20:02

this is just my experiance no offence to anyone that feeds what ever they feed their own dogs....

i feed a barf diet, murf has never had a kibble meal since he came back from his breeders (apart from when we got snowed in i bought some jwb and he put on weight)....

he has raw meat, not cooked or warmed just room temp, i dont mix mine with any kibble maybe abit of mixer but it tends to make my dog poo alot more and put on weight,

im crap at weights, murf has 2 bags a day..hes about 42kgs...

i give him fish oils and vit e, i give sardines fresh and tinned, cottage cheese, eggs,veg,chicken wings, carcasses, lamb bones, ribs, marrow bones,garlic paste or chopped when i remember to put it in :roll:

the benefits for me are amazing, clean teeth, no bad breath,no dog smell, small firm non smelly poos, i have never de flead him, and just wormed him when he was a puppy, we have never been to the vets other than being nutured,
:mrgreen:

corndolly

Post by corndolly » 19 Mar 2010, 20:23

The packs you refer to are they already made up. Do you not purchase meat of the butcher. The BARF diet is new to me, so excuse the daft questions. Where do you get your supplies from.
Why do you choose not to feed kibble. I was told it is good for their teeth, so buy it, but don't think it reflects a dogs natural diet and so only put a handful in. Currently I feed a wet diet. Wainrights. But add in beef, chicken, lamb, mince, liver to make it seem more natural. Also give a tin of sardines a couple of times a week for his coat and scramble egg. We have no issues with runny pooh's or bad breath. I am just interested in making mealtimes enjoyable and have a happy healthy dog.

corndolly

Post by corndolly » 19 Mar 2010, 20:25

Also, We tried lamb rib bones a couple of times and also a marrow bone once but ten minutes afterwards out doodle vomited it all back, so I have stopped trying. He doesn't vomit with anything else so I assume it doen't agree with him.

Bid

Post by Bid » 19 Mar 2010, 20:45

I feed mine ready-prepared packs which have the meat cartilage, offal and bones roughly minced in it, because I don't want to have to worry about making sure they get the right proportions - these are always fed raw to mine. I also feed pulped veg and garlic, with fish oil and vit E. Poppy sometimes has a flour & water mixer because she doesn't like the veg very much. I also add oily fish, cottage cheese, chicken wings and rib bones from time to time. Today for the first time they had a chicken carcass each for their supper.

With marrow bones, it is a good idea to scrape out some of the marrow at first because it can be a bit rich.

When I first switched over to feeding raw, I introduced it gradually, and gave them a pro-biotic powder that Frosty recommended so that they had all the right bacteria in their gut to digest the food, and we made the change over with no tummy upsets. At his last checkup, the vet said my 11-year-old lab had the teeth of a 2-year old which I was very pleased about, and the improvement in their coats has been very noticable since changing :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Clare

Post by Clare » 19 Mar 2010, 20:56

which ready prepared packs do you use,Bid?

Clare and Pebbles

Bid

Post by Bid » 19 Mar 2010, 21:03

Good question! I was using food-4-dogs but they have stopped trading. Atm I use a company that is about an hours drive from me (Nurture by Nature at West Moors if anyone in Hants/Dorset wants a supplier), but I have it on very good authority that there will be a brill new raw food supplier starting up sometime soon who will be able to deliver all over the place :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

jags

Post by jags » 19 Mar 2010, 22:10

hiya, i use landywoods,but iv had a few funny baches lately...so like bid waiting for this new food to come out...

they are meat minces, chicken, beef and kidney, lamb, thats the ones i tend to get,

i wanted to do raw for ages with my first dogs but got told by the ppl at the pet shop and vets that its not the right thing and they both recommened the best thing, which was 2 different things :roll:

and then i came on here, and got taking to frosty she explained it all (there are lots of other ppl that can offer advice aswell)...i was nevous i asked a million questions, everyone gave there own experiances, and then i just went for it, its abit of trial and error for a while before you get the right thing going on for your dog,

murf can eat anything now,nothing upsets his tummy and if it does i can look back and see what i did differently,

i dont believe that kibble cleans teeth, but thats my opinion, :)

corndolly

Post by corndolly » 19 Mar 2010, 22:34

Gosh it is all so very complicated. I don't think there is any where local to me that does Packs like you suggest. I am in warwickshire. Could I not just go to the butchers. I currently buy from a local farm shop so I know and can see that it's not rubbish. As for the meat. Tried raw lamb, beef. But think if I recall my doodles pooh was a little loose. I didn't give all raw either. Now I tend to cook it slightly to take the chill of it. As for Liver. Someone mentioned on here don't give to much liver due to lack of vitamins is this true.
I don't think kibble cleans a dogs teeth either. But then hey what do I know, I am a first time dog owner.

jags

Post by jags » 19 Mar 2010, 22:58

yeah if you can get to a butchers thats fine...but i think you need to have the bones aswell.in the packs the bone is ground down already in some of the minces..i will get frosty to post on here tomorrow, plus it would work out more expensive if your having to buy it that way, :|

he has tripe and kidneys and liver..the liver can give the squits if you feed to much but kidneys are usually fine, i tend to flash fry them with garlic....then the oh comes in and asks what for tea :oops: :lol:

im totally crap at directions and places in the country so wouldnt know if they could get to you but im sure some raw feeding suppliers could???

lack of vitimins in liver :? not sure bout that one...

frosty

Post by frosty » 20 Mar 2010, 07:57

Morning.

Hi Corn Dolly I need a bit more info before I can answer your original post.

How old is your dood?
What does he/she weigh?

One of the main reasons for the squits is either introducing too much variety all in one, or overfeeding.
Meat and bone is highly digestible to the dogs, and hence you dont need as much, and people forget and feed more because it doesnt look as much.

Re suppliers....if you wanted to order from the likes of Landywoods etc (they deliver), then you would need a chest freezer really as their minimum order is about £30 (which is about 100 1bs of meat).

What I would suggest is that you pop to Pets at home, which Im sure you have one reasonably near, and check out their freezer section. Prize choice are stocked there so you can buy minces ground with the bone anyway and buy individually to test.

The butchers way is absolutely fine but you just need to know what your doing a bit more.
The best way to work it out is if you are feeding 2x meals a day they should be as follows:

1 x meal of raw meaty bones only. EG Chicken wings, Lam ribs, necks, chicken necks, carcass etc
2x meal should be minced meat from the butchers. any type of mince. a couple of times a week add a small amount of offal, so kidneys or liver. Liver should only be fed in small amounts (about 5% of the diet) because it is very rich and very high in vitamins (not low :wink: ). You can heat it if you want, but if you just leave it out for a couple pf hours, then room temperature is the best way to feed.

You can add to that a small amount of veg if you like (lightly steamed or pulped), but that doesnt need to be done daily.

On top of that you can add eggs, oily tinned fish (sardines, mackerel), cottage cheese etc , but you would just reduce the amount of mince meat to compensate. Marrow bones etc are just given as a recreational snack.
The only supps I add on a daily basis really are fish oils (for the EFAs), and then Vit E every other day (fish oils deplete vit E).

It really isnt difficult, and you dont need a science degree to work it all out.....Its just a matter of confidence thats all :D .
I have some sample diet sheets if that would help, and please feel free to pm or post on here with as many questions as you like, no matter how silly you think they may be :wink:
"The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues."

corndolly

Post by corndolly » 20 Mar 2010, 10:17

Morning Frosty,
Thank you very much for your reply. It does all sound rather complicated and so a diet sheet would be fanstastic.
Our dood doesn't get loose stools. He appears to tolerate all foods well and appears to like variety. The only time he has vomited is as I said with the marrow bone and with the lamb ribs. When I took the lamb of the ribs. Hey ho they went down and stayed down no problem. He loves mince, liver, lamb, chicken, beef. Don't know if I can face the kidney.
I feel packed meat is a bit artificial, im sure it's not and has lots of nutritional value. Kibble I don't quite understand, but thats what the puppy came with. Buying from the butchers is expensive, especially from a farm shop, so to compromise I give a bit of all three, or leave the kibble of a couple of times a week. Hamish is 9 months old. Height approx 23/24 inches and when weighed last week was 26.6kg. Don't know quite how that measures up, but nothing was said at the vets.
I am just concerned using all three I am delivering all that Hamish requires. I do give sardines, and eggs. Never tried cottage cheese.
I don't quite know how to send a PM so if you could direct me in the right direction that would be great.
Many thanks. Corndolly

Bid

Post by Bid » 20 Mar 2010, 10:41

There are loads of people who have asked about your Barf diet sheets Frosty- any chance you could create some new threads with them?
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

jags

Post by jags » 20 Mar 2010, 11:16

if i can do it anyone can!! im crap at weights and measuments and remembering things, but i can read a poo like an expert now :lol:

corndolly

Post by corndolly » 20 Mar 2010, 11:28

:lol: I can read a child's pooh as a children's nurse, but dogs........................................... mummhm
But if it aint runny and loose or so hard they can't go .... well I guess anything in between is ok. :D
We do have a pets at home down the road and in the freezer at the farm shop they have bags of offal for dogs. Never brought it mind. Dread to think what might be inside ...............................
Not very good with raw meat. Especially if it looks like what it's meant to be. Can't even cook a whole chicken. It has to be breast and boneless :lol:
So why I am considering raw diet .... it must be through pure love for my dood.
What treats do you give your dogs.
I still at the treat stage for training. We go to dog classes twice a week and they say cheese and sausages.
Although this is what I use the liver for.