labradoodle vs. goldendoodle vs. retriever

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
natpholet

labradoodle vs. goldendoodle vs. retriever

Post by natpholet » 03 May 2010, 08:04

We are currently looking for a puppy to become 1st time dog owners this summer. We have 3 children aged between 11 and 13 plus 3 cats. We have done lots of research on the internet and reading books but still can't decide on what breed we should be looking for. Can anyone give me some advice?

Clairejen

Re: labradoodle vs. goldendoodle vs. retriever

Post by Clairejen » 03 May 2010, 08:20

Biggest question, how much time will the dog be left on its own? If you love dogs, want to include them in what you do (and change what you do to suit them at times too) and have time to devote to them then IMO a doodle is perfect. From what I've seen of them, which isn't much, golden doodles seem pretty similar to labradoodles in temperament. I'd say that doodles are, on average, more intelligent and devious but less greedy than retrievers/labs.
Last edited by Clairejen on 03 May 2010, 08:24, edited 1 time in total.
Claire
slave of Leon & Sally
Image Image

smilerz

Post by smilerz » 03 May 2010, 08:22

GOLDENDOODLE GOLDENDOODLE GOLDENDOODLE the beautiful gentle nature of the Golden Retriever with the sheer loyalty and intelligence of the most proud dog in the world The Poodle. :lol: :lol: :lol:

MUMMYBUCK

Post by MUMMYBUCK » 03 May 2010, 08:33

We have meg she is golden ret/mini poodle cross - she is absolutly fab. I am sat here at 8.30 waiting for her to get up so we can go for a walk (she is in bed with hubby) She is about 20inches and 18kg I feel a nice easy to handle size she is the size of a very small lab. I agree with previous she is very loyal
mummybuck and MegImage

SBW2009

Post by SBW2009 » 03 May 2010, 10:08

We had a labradoodle but i love goldendoodles and were looking into them before we found Bondi. However, i do worry about what size she'll end up being and with a standard breed like a golden retriever there is a bit more idea. We were lucky - i only got a pup from a breeder with both parents so that i would have an idea of what size she'll end up.

All three breeders are lovely - the breeder where i got Bondi from is having a litter of goldendoodles from her goldendoodle and poodle (the dad is the same as Bondi), but i think its a one-off litter. If there was a longer gap we would consider having one of her pups as a friend for Bondi.

Enjoy your hunt!

Nicky

Post by Nicky » 03 May 2010, 11:38

hi :D

I think all the breeds you are thinking about would be suitable for your family, doods tend to be slightly more bouncy I think than a labrador or a golden retriever.

My sister has a labrador and she is beautiful and I have an f1b labradoodle. I'd say they are about the same in temperament although

Dexter my doodle is more affectionate and a little calmer than my sister's lab which is surprising :lol:

Although my sister's lab is smaller she is heavier and stronger than Dexter, because he is 75% poodle he seems to have a lighter frame.

I met an adorable goldendoodle puppy the other day, quite curly and she was sweet off the lead along our railway trail near us.

If you think a standard labradoodle may grow too big why not think about a miniture one or a cockapoo they are nice dogs too :D

SarahandMilly

Post by SarahandMilly » 03 May 2010, 11:47

There are several things to consider:

Size - retrievers are slightly larger than labradors so a goldendoodle is likely to be bigger than a labradoodle (but there are lots of variations!)

Temperament - they all have a great temperament! :D

Health - they can all have problems with their hips and eyes, so it is important to buy a puppy from health screened parents (low hip scores and current clear eye certificates). Retrievers and standard poodles can also suffer from Von Willebrands disease and SA so this is another test that you need to make sure is done if you are thinking of a goldendoodle or a F2/F3+ labradoodle.

Coat/colour - goldendoodle is likely to have a longer coat than F1 labradoodle, and a retriever is likely to shed the most. Lots of different colours of labradoodle to choose from, but I've only seen cream/black goldendoodles (not sure if they come in chocolate or silver?).

Whatever you choose, they are all lovely dogs!. Good Luck! :D

KateW

Post by KateW » 03 May 2010, 11:58

They are all lovely dogs. I think it is important to fall in love with a particular kind of dog and you need to meet some to help you make up your minds.

Where do you live; it is likely that there is a doodle walk near you which would give you the opportunity to meet some doodles, goldendoodles and have a good talk to their families.

As you have cats and many doodles have a strong chasing/ hunting instinct, it might be a good idea to look for a breeder who, as well as doing all the necessary health tests, keeps cats so the puppy is used to felines.......

Katherine
ImageImage

linny

Post by linny » 03 May 2010, 12:01

I have two Doods , one F1b ...lovely , lovely, boy :) good in all ways
F1 Labradonkey, complete nutcase but wonderful nature :)
A golden Retriever bitch who is fostered with me, she is everything you could wish for, obedient, loyal, wonderful with children and other animals.
I would be hard pushed to choose between them.
I'm lucky in that Ambrose F1b does not moult but the other two moult for England.
It's down to personal choice really, with good training they will be whatever you make them .
My friend has a Goldendood and he was a nightmare pup but now at twelve months with lots of training has blossomed into a lovely boy.You can't go wrong with any of them imo... :)

trinared

Post by trinared » 03 May 2010, 12:31

We have two doodles and my two best friends both have labs.
Both my doodes, even Duffy at 5 months, are much more independant and wilfull than the labs. Maybe that is a consideration if you need a dog that is easier to train.
Duffy and Marley are both very different from each other. Marley is a bit of a coach potato, is a real water dog, can be sulky, and likes his own space. Duffy loves being close and cuddly, hates the rain, and loves to play fetch.
Both beautiful nature and very bright.
I dont think you could go wrong with any of the three breeds in regards to children.
Marley and Duffy

natpholet

Post by natpholet » 03 May 2010, 17:00

Thanks for all your replies. I think we really need to get out and meet some of these dogs to really make a decision. We've just spent 3 hours wandering around a county show hoping to spot some. We bumped into a few golden retrievers who were all lovely but were disappointed not to find any doodles. Don't suppose any of you doodle owners live nearby?
We're in Maidstone, Kent.

ebug99

Post by ebug99 » 03 May 2010, 18:08

natpholet wrote:Thanks for all your replies. I think we really need to get out and meet some of these dogs to really make a decision. We've just spent 3 hours wandering around a county show hoping to spot some. We bumped into a few golden retrievers who were all lovely but were disappointed not to find any doodles. Don't suppose any of you doodle owners live nearby?
We're in Maidstone, Kent.
There are quite a few of us Kent - I live near Tunbridge Wells and you're very welcome to come and meet my boys !!

We were at the Spring Show at Ardingly today and there were quite a few doodles !

There may be a doodle meet at Lullingstone or Mote Park one Sunday this month - keep an eye out for a post, you're very welcome to tag along and you'll meet lots of doods in allsorts of shapes and sizes !

Liz x

PS - edited to say a) I've just started a new post about a Kent meet and b) there seems to be a Sussex meet on 16 May in Brighton if you look in the M.E.S.S section of the board !
xxxXX Teddy & Harvey XXxxx