Car travel safety - what do you use?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
SBW2009

Car travel safety - what do you use?

Post by SBW2009 » 20 May 2010, 20:56

Hi all
I'll be taking Bondi on her first visit back home next sat on my own.

We can't have a dog guard for our cars (hubby's is works and its not allowed, mine is too old to find one to fit - been looking for weeks).

So what do you use? Her crate doesn't fit into my corsa and we can't put the seats down to fit it in as there will be no room for our houserabbit box or my stuff!

I quite like the harness but would rather her be in the boot though...

Lola

Re: Car travel safety - what do you use?

Post by Lola » 20 May 2010, 21:36

I just use the back seat :D I you dont let them mess about then they wont. If I have to have Lola on the front seat then I use as harness that plugs straight into the seat belt.

Good luck

SBW2009

Post by SBW2009 » 20 May 2010, 21:42

She's been in the boot on short journies (to in-laws etc) but was wondering about a longer one.

Yeti

Post by Yeti » 20 May 2010, 21:50

Do the headrests go right up on your OH's car, that would stop her climbing through or look for one on ebay for yours thats what I did got a brand new one for my Discovery and the headrests go up high on my wifes Modus
Terry

SBW2009

Post by SBW2009 » 20 May 2010, 22:02

thanks, unfortunately i don't have rear head rests and going in my car has hub is working! I'm going to do a practise one on sat and see how it goes.

Allison

Post by Allison » 20 May 2010, 22:12

Max has a harness that plugs into the sear belt. He goes on the back seat. It's much easier than allowing him loose in the boot. I can open the car door and he can't get out until he is on his lead and under control
Allison & Max

Yeti

Post by Yeti » 20 May 2010, 22:17

What car have you got??
Terry

Nicky

Post by Nicky » 20 May 2010, 22:22

I use a dog guard that attaches to the back headrests when Dexter is in the boot, and a harness if he rides on the back seat.

I feel car safety is important because in an accident just going 40 mph a dog of dexter's weight if thrown forward would easily break my neck if he hit me and if you have children in the car it is paramount the dog is secured as a lose dog in an accident is lethal :|

SBW2009

Post by SBW2009 » 20 May 2010, 22:26

allison, that sounds fab, where from if you don't mind me asking. Yeti, its an old corsa that i love. Its n reg but limited edition model so can't find right guard. Harness it looks like for us, normally one of us sits in the back anyway but not this time.

Yeti

Post by Yeti » 20 May 2010, 22:33

Terry

lizziesmum

Post by lizziesmum » 21 May 2010, 07:19

I use the back seat on long journeys,Liz just sleeps or watches the world go by.I do think that one of the most useful life skills to teach your dog is to stay in the car when the doors etc are open.Freda

Dexter_Mir

Post by Dexter_Mir » 21 May 2010, 21:02

I use the universal dog gaurd from halfords that fits on the head rest its great as we can move it from car to car if we need to, they have them on the web site to see and do sell them in the shop... Its also good because it leaves the whole of the boot space free unlike other.

Dog Gaurd
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165716

Dee x

eileenandmolly

Post by eileenandmolly » 21 May 2010, 22:17

Nicky wrote:I use a dog guard that attaches to the back headrests when Dexter is in the boot, and a harness if he rides on the back seat.

I feel car safety is important because in an accident just going 40 mph a dog of dexter's weight if thrown forward would easily break my neck if he hit me and if you have children in the car it is paramount the dog is secured as a lose dog in an accident is lethal :|
I had a very bad accident last year as I was on my way to take Molly and Saffie to kennels for a few days, as my daughter was getting married, and we had a few days of festivities :) A white van shunted a car directly into my path with no stopping distance to speak of. The dogs and I were lucky to survive. (Edited to add that I was going at 30-ish mph)

This was the state of my car and of the dog guard

Molly and Saffie were in the boot and secured by a dog guard. Although the entire impact was at the front of the car, the dog guard was bent at a 45 degree angle. If they had not been secured, they would have been hurled throught the car and through the windscreen. Possibly breaking my neck en route.

I did subsequently worry, when replacing my car..........................should I get another estate?......what if the people behind me had not been travelling at a safe distance? My dogs could have been crushed.

There is no absolutely safe answer, but I would say that dogs should be secured one way or another.