Nail cutting

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
JaneH

Nail cutting

Post by JaneH » 25 May 2010, 11:45

Hi All,
Alfie needs his nails cutting (doing less pavement walking now with the lighter evenings). Tried to have a go last night and it was a disaster - like trying to wrestle with 43kg of wriggling, squirming monster doodle!! My fault completely - he's 14 months now and I've spent a lot of time trying to prepare him for vet exams (looking in ears, holding feet, checking between toes, etc) but have never done anything with an instrument in my hand - which seemed to freak him out.
Just seen these on amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-Cordless ... _pr_sims_t

Has anyone tried these? Or do you think I'd be better off sticking to the nail clippers and just try to desensitize him?
Any suggestions gratefully received!
Jane

cazevac

Re: Nail cutting

Post by cazevac » 25 May 2010, 11:52

i have to admit to chicken out of clipping nails - our groomer does a drop in any time for nails and paw trimming for £6 each or both at the same time for £10 :D :D :D bargain and stress free for me as megan can be a wriggly worm!!!!

Caroline & Megan

Skippyandlulu

Post by Skippyandlulu » 25 May 2010, 13:02

I agree too. It's best to get them done by the groomer then you don't have to worry cutting them too short.

HILLY

Post by HILLY » 25 May 2010, 13:51

Little Ted and Jeff usually get theirs trimmed at the groomers when they have a bath and groom. The two of them are walked over fields most of the time so there is no chance of their nails getting worn down on the pavement. I took Little Ted to the Vet the other day so that the nurse could cut his nails. He did wriggle a bit but it was over in minutes and he got a treat afterwards! The nurse suggested that I should take him out on the pavement a bit more and that I could use an emery board and file the nails on a regular basis whilst he sits on my lap (yeah right!). She said it would be easy for me to do them but I am too scared of cutting the quick and having blood everywhere. Hope you can get Alfie sorted soon. :D
HILLY, JEFF AND LITTLE TED

JaneH

Re: Nail cutting - piccie added

Post by JaneH » 25 May 2010, 13:54

Thanks for the groomers suggestions, but Alfie doesn't go - he is quite short haired - I've added a piccie of him from a couple of weeks ago - with his FIRST PLACE rosette for winning Best Crossbreed in a local dog show (I nearly burst with pride!!)

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/390465030

gilly g

Post by gilly g » 25 May 2010, 16:02

Hi
I have the same problem with Polo. I bought some clippers from P@H a few months ago for about £10.00, they are straight forward manual clipper with safety plate, (I used to use similar ones on my last dog) However, I have only just plucked up courage to tackle Polo's claws as he is very wriggly, and have managed to successfully clip all claws on one paw before he got fed up, so I am staging his pedicure, one paw, one day at a time.

My vets charge £6 a time to have a pedicure (nail varnish not included!)

Incidentally some groomers will just do a pedicure if that's what you want, one of my neighbours is a professional groomer, and she offers this service,(or just a bath if not needing a clip, which is something I will certainly take advantage of soon!)

Nicky

Post by Nicky » 25 May 2010, 18:41

hi :D

I too let he groomers do Dexter's nails for around £4, groomers will just cut his nails for you if thats all you need, mine do they are good, and at the same time I get Dexter's ears done as the hairs are quite long in there :roll:

KateW

Post by KateW » 25 May 2010, 19:34

I don't usually have to clip Rufus's nails as he does wear them down. If you feel unsure about dealing with Alfie's nails, it might be a good idea to get the nurse at the vets to demonstrate. The thing is to have good sharp clippers and just take a little off, especially if the nails are black and you can't see the quick. Just in case you do cut into the quick (which is painful for the dog) it is a good idea to have a styptic pencil handy to stem the bleeding.

Had a look at the link you posted, Jane but I think it is a lot of money for something which will be no better than nail clippers really; just like those complicated things you can buy for human manicures :roll:

Katherine
ImageImage

Allison

Post by Allison » 25 May 2010, 21:11

I have some clippers, but made the mistake a couple of weeks ago of taking 2 very small chuncks off the same nail. Max didn't seem to care, but there was blood every where. It took ages to
stop. Lesson learnt, just one bit at a time!
What's a stpytic ( sorry, can't see the spelling) pencil? Where do I get one?
Allison & Max

KateW

Post by KateW » 25 May 2010, 21:46

Allison wrote:I have some clippers, but made the mistake a couple of weeks ago of taking 2 very small chuncks off the same nail. Max didn't seem to care, but there was blood every where. It took ages to
stop. Lesson learnt, just one bit at a time!
What's a stpytic ( sorry, can't see the spelling) pencil? Where do I get one?
A styptic pencil looks like a lip salve and is used to stop bleeding; men who wet shave often need one :) You can get one at most chemists.

In an emergency a paste of flour and water can be applied and will also stop bleeding.

Katherine
ImageImage