10 Gorgeous Puppies!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Clair

Re: 10 Gorgeous Puppies!

Post by Clair » 30 May 2010, 12:15

Hi Linny,
I'm not sure where you have got the age of 'under 2' from, Millie will be 4 in July.
Clair

Bid

Post by Bid » 30 May 2010, 12:57

linny wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock:
If this is the case then to my mind it makes a mockery of the UKLA C. O. P
Nothing personal Claire , you have been honest about the lack of elbow tests on the dam, never the less the sire is NOT tested and the bitch is very young( under the age of two).
This litter is being advertised implicitly and I find myself asking "Why bother with a Code of practice" ?).... when some people really don't give a S..T do they :evil:
I find myself feeling disappointed to say the least, we have a Code of practise and I think it should be strictly adhered to.
I have to agree with Linny - I know you have been totally up front Clair, but there is a code of practice here and anyone posting on the site should stick to it or it is pointless! It took a lot of thought by people here, and persuasion to get Mark to agree to it, and that was all a waste of time if threads such as this are allowed.

I know that health tests don't automatically mean that the pups wil be healthy, but they can help to prevent unsuitable dogs being used for breeding. Having got a dog with HD I am particularly keen that everything that can be done is done to reduce the number of dogs who suffer with it. People aren't going to bother getting their dogs tested if this sort of thing is allowed :evil: (and why for goodness sake, is Cosmo STILL not hip scored - probably because there are still people prepared to use him without :roll: :evil:. If he is still being used at his grand old age, surely he must have raised sufficient thousands to put a little of it towards the cost of getting him properly tested ?)
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

linny

Post by linny » 30 May 2010, 13:27

My apologies Clair I have obviously got muddled up between this and another litter not complying with the code....there have been several of late.
It still doesn't change the fact that your litter doesn't comply with the standards voted in by members of this forum.
It was a public vote and carried by the majority of users on UKLA.....surely you could abide by these standards?

Skippyandlulu

Post by Skippyandlulu » 30 May 2010, 14:08

The puppies do look lovely to potential buyers on this forum. But I urge anyone looking for a puppy to buy from a breeder who is knowledgeable about labradoodles and the correct health tests being done. There is no excuse not to hip score a stud dog. There seems to be several litters being advised on here recently that don't comply with the code of practice. :(

Mark, where are you?

Bridget Hodder

Post by Bridget Hodder » 30 May 2010, 14:22

hi everyone
i would like to say that my puppies are from fully health tested parents,eg hips,elbows,eyes and optigen tested.there are alot of buyers who just dont care what tests have been done,its all about the price.i have had alot of people who only want to pay 200 to 500 pounds for them.

bridget.
Image Image

Skippyandlulu

Post by Skippyandlulu » 30 May 2010, 14:39

I agree with Bridget, some people are only interested in getting a cheap puppy and don't understand or care about the potential health problems.

If you buy a cheap puppy and it develops HD or an eye disease then this is going to cost you £££

Linda&Coco

Post by Linda&Coco » 30 May 2010, 15:38

Skippyandlulu wrote:I agree with Bridget, some people are only interested in getting a cheap puppy and don't understand or care about the potential health problems.

If you buy a cheap puppy and it develops HD or an eye disease then this is going to cost you £££
Manor born sold puppies for £500 last year and I am sure they have all the tests in place.

More people would by from breeders with health tested parents if the price was not so high.But it is no guarantee against H.D.

The pups are here and I wish you well with them.They are lovely.

Coco & Barney

Bridget Hodder

Post by Bridget Hodder » 30 May 2010, 17:31

hi
are you sure or are you just guessing.

bridget
Image Image

jennybloom

Post by jennybloom » 30 May 2010, 18:07

The stud has had eyes checked, but when the hips were x-rayed the owner had been misinformed that as he wasn't mcrochipped the result couldn't be sent off to the BVA. However, the vet had said that they couldn't see any problems with Cosmo's hips. Cosmo is now 9 years old and has never shown any signs of ill health, he has sired many healthy litters and was recommended to us by a number of breeders as a good stud dog for a our family pet being mated for the first time. Anyone
What a load of codswollop, you've been well and truely sucked in by his owner!!
Yes he has sired hundreds of puppies and he has also sired dogs with Hip Displasia, some of which are owned by people on this forum.
And just because there are people out there prepared to buy pups from un tested parents it does not make it right to breed without them and its certainly not right to advertise on here.

Adam Lindley

Post by Adam Lindley » 30 May 2010, 23:19

jennybloom wrote:The stud has had eyes checked, but when the hips were x-rayed the owner had been misinformed that as he wasn't mcrochipped the result couldn't be sent off to the BVA.
I don't think they were misinformed, the BVA need something to tie the results to, for pedigree dogs, they use the KC paperwork, for others they use tattoo or microchip no.

For the sake of $20, they could have put a chip in there and then to resolve the issue.

Health testing is essential, and without history you'll never know whether HD has come from Cosmo or the dams. The fact he has reached 9 without being diagnosed with HD would suggest his hips are good.

From the recent surveys on HD, it would suggest that almost one pup from every litter is likely to have HD. :(

Mica1971

Post by Mica1971 » 31 May 2010, 06:56

Sorry, I have to agree with those against this thread showing the puppies from parents that are not fully health tested. Advert or not, it's easy to send a PM to get further information. There is an agreed code and it should be adhered too. I'm stunned at the amount of untested litters that have appeared on here in the last few weeks - I had assumed that every litter mentioned here (advertised or not!) was from health tested parents - worringly it doesn't seem to be the case for everyone.

'An idle mind is the devil's workshop.'
And the devil's name is Alzheimer's!

jules1

Post by jules1 » 31 May 2010, 07:34

£950 for untested pups :shock:

Bid

Post by Bid » 31 May 2010, 09:36

Adam Lindley wrote: The fact he has reached 9 without being diagnosed with HD would suggest his hips are good.
Not necessarily - I know of a bitch with a very high hip score who has never shown any symptoms whatsoever, and who has a very active lifestyle! She is kept at a good weight, has a healthy diet and sensible exercise, and has been very lucky.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

PennyAli

Post by PennyAli » 31 May 2010, 10:40

Bid wrote:
Adam Lindley wrote: The fact he has reached 9 without being diagnosed with HD would suggest his hips are good.
Not necessarily - I know of a bitch with a very high hip score who has never shown any symptoms whatsoever, and who has a very active lifestyle! She is kept at a good weight, has a healthy diet and sensible exercise, and has been very lucky.
This is very true Bid, my MIL had her Labrador's hips done for scoring the vet said, they were terrible not worth sending off and that she would need to be on medication her whole life, she was one, she is fourteen now and only been bad last two years!!! and no medication untill two years ago!

Far to many dogs have him in their lines which is limiting the future gene pool for UK Labradoodles, and many people are line breeding with him, which could be disastrous.

Adam Lindley

Post by Adam Lindley » 31 May 2010, 12:27

PennyAli wrote:Far to many dogs have him in their lines which is limiting the future gene pool for UK Labradoodles
A separate issue altogether however if this litter are pets only... Probably not an ideal mating, but there are likely plenty worse.

I agree that dogs with good hips can show signs of HD & vice versa, but if as a rule of thumb, dogs with bad hips go on to develop issues, they would usually have shown up by the age of 9.

As Cosmo is prolific, is he throwing more than the 12-20% HD affected dogs?